Author Topic: [Solved] iPod touch 2G help how to upgrade higher iOS than 4.2.1?  (Read 3026 times)

September 19, 2013, 06:37:54 AM
Read 3026 times

reyz

• Information Offline
  • Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPod Touch 2G
  • My Computer: Windows
Guys any one can help me upgrade my ipod touch 2g, I want my iPod Touch 2G to use on latest game but requiring higher version like candy crush which require 4.3.5 iOS...

I tried using Whited00r6 but it seem the iOS got lower than i expected but visualizaton is veryvery good but I want higher ios...is ther a way to upgrade my device? please help

thanks in advance
regards
reyz

September 19, 2013, 09:10:26 AM
Reply #1

cuek80

• Information Offline
    • View Profile
Can not be done.
highest version for ipod touch 2g is 4.2

September 19, 2013, 05:18:56 PM
Reply #2

Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Information Offline
  • SuperHero Member
  • Administrator
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Linux
No, I'm sorry you can't.  Your iPod touch simply does not have the hardware to run later iOS versions.  You can't make apps that require a higher iOS version work on older firmwares either, as they are closed source. 

Taken from the Whited00r 6 - FAQ & Troubleshooting - READ BEFORE POSTING!

Why can't I install Apps that Requires iOS 4.3 or upgrade above iOS 4.2.1?

iOS 4.3 and above and apps that requires iOS 4.3 are using binaries CPU instructions sets for newer devices equipped with ARMv7 CPU & faster GPU and only those Apple devices have it:
ARMv7s = iPhone 5, iPad 4
ARMv7  = iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod Touch 3G, 4G & 5G, iPad, iPad 2, iPad 3 & iPad Mini.

Apple Devices with the ARMv6 CPU supported by Whited00r & App Time Machine but not by Apple anymore and dropped slowly & surely by iTunes  :-\

iPod Touch 1G or 1st Generation  - max iOS 3.1.3
    Original iPhone 2G or 1st Gen - max iOS 3.1.3

iPod Touch 2G or 2nd Gen - max iOS 4.2.1
    iPhone 3G or 2nd Gen - max iOS 4.2.1 but it's dog-slow, the very limit of what that hardware can take. Whited00r is based on a tweaked iOS 3.1.3 because it is much more fluid with plenty of free available RAM to run apps.

Apple could easily require that app developers include iOS backward compatibility to be eligible to iTunes App Store but they decided not to.  :-\   Apple makes the Xcode software that developers are using to create apps and removed support for ARMv6 binaries compatibility in their Xcode 4.5 version (see Mac Developer Library - Xcode Release Notes for technical details). Apparently they re-enabled ARMv6 binaries compatibility in the current Xcode 4.5.2 according to this.

It's just like computers, you don't except older computers to be able to run the latest games, even if it doesn't have large requirements hardware wise, it could depend on software that can only run on newer hardware (complex explanation for that but CPU and some other things can be the reasoning).   Computers have evolved at a slower pace than mobile phones, in terms of what can be done/dropped support. It's just how things work in the mobile world. :(
Trouble? Check this link:
Whited00r 7 FAQ/Bugs and Troubleshooting READ BEFORE POSTING. Chances are it's answered there ;)
Don't know how to use something? Check here:
Whited00r 7 Introduction - What's new and h

September 20, 2013, 05:34:21 AM
Reply #3

reyz

• Information Offline
    • View Profile