Author Topic: Problem Restoring iPhone 3G to iOS 4.2.1  (Read 8968 times)

Offline ahmedaol99

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
  • Device: Does Not Own iDevice ARMv6
  • My Computer: Windows
Problem Restoring iPhone 3G to iOS 4.2.1
« on: September 26, 2013, 06:33:18 PM »
Dear All  Please help me

I Just purchased Iphone 3G but it had passcode then it is disabled so i had to go itunes and restore it then i do Restore and Update and i didn't know that the IOS must Be 3.0 to install firstly then i can update it But i installed IOS4.2 and then the install didn't complete i tried more But the Iphone Didn't boot only Recovery mode then i tried to install IOS3.0.1 but also not completed so what shall i do for that problem I need yourhelp to install IOS and Upgrade it to Run IOS4 Apps . Thanks for all.

PierreP Moderator note: Edited thread title to add relevant keywords as described in Whited00r 6: Tips to Quickly Solve your Problems/Bugs & Get Answers FAST!

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Linux
Re: Help please to restore my Iphone 3G to iOS 4
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 07:24:07 PM »
Welcome to the forums :)

When you say the restore doesn't complete, can you be more specific please?  More often than not, iTunes will give an error, and the error code it gives out is most likely a common one with a simple solution :)

Offline ahmedaol99

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 07:36:24 PM »
Thanks So much for your reply.

Firstly i had passcode then the Iphone disabled then i tried to fix it through Itunes But it don't work not boot just Recovery mode so I choosed Restore and Update in order to install the IOS System but it was 4.2 so i should install IOS3.0 first then i can upgarde it but it gave me error not completing after i showed some websites i knew that i have to install 3.0 and i downloaded it already on my PC BUT unable to install it on my iphone some one tried to fix it through program called Jailbreak but he told me that he couldn't fix it i need to reset my Iphone what  shall i do?

I am need your help because i just purchased this Iphone and didn't see even his screen :)

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 07:42:02 PM »
Does iTunes give an error code like 1600, 1601, 1602, etc.?  Or 1015, or something like that?  If the iPhone was on 3.x to begin with, you should be fine to restore to 4.2.1 straight through iTunes, unless the baseband was 06.15.00 (which you can't check if you are in recovery mode).

The error code from iTunes is what I need to know though, as without that I don't know what steps to give you to solve the issue ;)

Offline ahmedaol99

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 07:46:05 PM »
Yes it gave Error but i don't remember the code No. but the message meant that the soft ware can't be installed or the software not completed

i will try again today and see the code no. but if you have solution now please provide me

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 08:12:50 PM »
There are different solutions depending on the error code you receive, so without that it would be pure guesswork ;)

Offline ahmedaol99

• View Profile
Re: Problem Restoring iPhone 3G to iOS 4.2.1
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 06:05:05 PM »
Dear Please note that the Error Code is 1015 when i tried to install the firmware again.  So what is the solution ? :'(

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 06:33:18 PM »
Ah, that's the longer winded solution.   What you have to do is download this Custom 4.2.1 firmware with the 06.15.00 baseband, use iReb v6 and follow the instructions in it to put your device into PWNED DFU mode, and then restore to the .ipsw you downloaded.  That should get you past the 1015 error :)

After that, you will have a higher baseband, but you can downgrade it using Redsn0w 0.9.14b2 for windows once you have restored to 4.x.  You may not need to downgrade the baseband though, if you don't need GPS.

Offline ahmedaol99

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 06:54:40 PM »
Thanks A lot for your solution i will try and will let you know

so i don't have to put Firmware 3.1 or find the original IPSW right ??

Because it is Iphone 3G 

Sorry for more questions because i am just starter :)

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 07:00:46 PM »
You shouldn't need to, as you wanted to be on iOS4.

Offline ahmedaol99

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 05:55:43 PM »
Thanks a lot for your Kind reply and  solution  but i installed IOS 3 for bad luck by the way let me know the best way to upgrade it to IOS 4.2 

The Important point now that i have the following message from Itunes about activation :

The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.
The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information.

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 05:57:02 PM »
The way I showed you above is still the best way to restore to 4.2.1 even from 3.1.3 if you get the 1015 error in iTunes :)

Offline ahmedaol99

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 06:02:56 PM »
But i couldn't access the DFU mode again it is just emergency Mode and Show Slide so please give me steps to bypass this difficult stage Thanks a lot for your Interest and your Kind Replies

And hope i don't waste your time .

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2013, 06:57:44 PM »
But i couldn't access the DFU mode again it is just emergency Mode and Show Slide so please give me steps to bypass this difficult stage Thanks a lot for your Interest and your Kind Replies

And hope i don't waste your time .

iReb (linked above) gives step by step instructions including a timer so you know when to do stuff to enter PWNED DFU mode (which you need).  Much easier than me saying here :)

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone 3G Carrier Locked - iOS 4.2.1
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 07:00:34 PM »
...The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.
The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information.

This is because your iPhone is carrier locked.

What do you want to achieve exactly? Which iOS do you want at the end of the process?

If you want iOS 4.2.1 you have 2 choices:

1- Mess around with the modem firmware (baseband) to get one that can be carrier unlocked. See this thread and follow exactly the steps: [Solved] iPhone 3G Free Unlock Baseband 05.15.04 05.14.02 - No Service Searching - Downgrade iPad 06.15.00 Modem Firmware

2- Go to eBay and pay less than $2 to factory unlock permanently your iPhone 3G if it comes from the USA region then use iTunes and let it install the stock iOS 4.2.1 and activate your iPhone and be done with it.

Even if you are stuck in Emergency Mode, you can use the free iTools (click on English), connect your iPhone and see all the essential info including region & modem firmware.

Since you do not have a Whited00r problem per say, I am moving your thread out of the Whited00r troubleshooting forum to the Free Forum.

Note to other users: if your iPhone 3G is factory unlocked and running stock iOS 4.2.1 you can speed it up and get all the features by installing Whited00r Normal version for iPhone 3G and you will not loose the factory unlocked nor the push notifications and can install back stock iOS 4.2.1 using iTunes anytime if you don't like WD.