Author Topic: How to port iOS 4 animations to iOS 3?  (Read 1369 times)

Offline FishNoobCrack

• Walrus.
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Windows
How to port iOS 4 animations to iOS 3?
« on: December 04, 2013, 01:13:06 AM »
Because if you can't tell already, iOS 4 has smoother animations than iOS 3 (Smoother opening animation, smoother scrolling, etc etc..)
But seriously, is it possible to port these animations, and if so, how?
Just derping around, being one of those rare 12-year-olds that actually use grammar and spelling.

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
Re: How to port iOS 4 animations to iOS 3?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 03:38:18 AM »
No.  Some people claimed they did by just copying over frameworks from iOS 4, but there was no proof.  (Copying over frameworks breaks lots of other things too just FYI).

Offline AnimateDread

• SuperHero Member
  • Learning developer
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPod Touch 1G
  • My Computer: Windows
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 04:33:25 AM »
Copying frameworks causes respring loop :p

And as bcooperizcool said, it would breaks apps/backend stuff if some methods changed/got deleted in newer frameworks :p

One would have to hook UIKit with dynamic libraries and recreate animations from scratch (wich would slowdown a bit, so it's not really useful).

The optimal thing to do is to completly rewrite the framework from scratch, but can this really be done by a "normal" developer? ;)
Soutient en Francais ici

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 04:46:40 AM »
Copying frameworks causes respring loop :p

And as bcooperizcool said, it would breaks apps/backend stuff if some methods changed/got deleted in newer frameworks :p

One would have to hook UIKit with dynamic libraries and recreate animations from scratch (wich would slowdown a bit, so it's not really useful).

The optimal thing to do is to completly rewrite the framework from scratch, but can this really be done by a "normal" developer? ;)

Well, not always if you copy only certain ones (even I did that to some extent before without crashing or breaking anything, but it wasn't essential frameworks and not relating to animations/graphics).

Permissions are a big thing too from what I remember ;)

It's more than just recreating the animations, as you said it's also the swipes and such, which is during the drag and handles velocity and all that.  Way too much math for my personal liking ;)

Supposedly you can make frameworks from scratch, although I don't know why you would want to as you would have to code everything from literally scratch without the help of other UIKit objects/classes, until you coded those too :p  Probably easier to just hook lots and lots of stuff and slow the whole system down :(