Author Topic: [PUBLIC BETA] BetterFolders for iOS 3  (Read 11478 times)

Offline BetterFolders

• View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 2G
  • My Computer: Mac
[PUBLIC BETA] BetterFolders for iOS 3
« on: December 11, 2013, 08:35:22 PM »

Believe it or not we really made a tweak for iOS 3.1.3. A huge one… 6.5K lines of code approximately. I took quite a bit of time and effort to get this thing up and running. It is written completely from scratch, actually it is our very first coding experience with ancient OS like this. It wasn't easy at all, because iOS 3.1.3 lacks a lot of internal stuff that we are used to play with.

Eventually it came out powerful enough to let us do some fancy magic stuff and here we are with this beautiful tweak. This thing really works like magic! It's a native Springboard plugin - no dependencies, nada (unlike other iOS 3.1.3 compatible folder tweaks or lookalikes Folders are not apps, this is built right on top of the Springboard to provide high performance and also save a lot of precious memory).

We love to pay too much attention to details, that's why all features and animations have this kind of native look and feel just like in iOS 4, 5 or 6.
This is totally free Cydia tweak. No Ads, No donations just go ahead and download it from the Official Cydia repository.

• Unlimited Apps per folder (not in Beta)
• Folder Merging
• Folder naming by App Genres
• Folder Pages (not in Beta)
• Folder Deletion

BetterFolders is designed to work with jailbroken stock iOS 3.1.3 firmware. It is NOT tested to work with the custom firmwares such as WhiteD00r, BlackD00r or any of that kind.
We are NOT going release iOS 7 folders either. Simply because your device is not capable of rendering such stuff. Try it on your own risk. It should work flawlessly in most cases. If it does not, simply go to Cydia, remove it and e-mail us.

Feel free to contact us at: [email protected]

Read the whole thing before asking anything!

Note: This is still in beta stage so feel free to report about any bugs, here on the forum or by sending and e-mail.

**UPDATE Feb 2, 2014**

The website is up and running :  http://BetterFolders.com/
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 01:06:21 AM by BetterFolders »

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Linux
Re: [PUBLIC BETA] BetterFolders for iOS 3
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 09:19:44 PM »
Well, I shall be the first to congratulate you!  Very nice bit of work here :)  Quite smooth on open/close, especially for 3.1.3/being a tweak (I know how hard that sort of stuff is!).   Icon arrangement is beautifully done too, it creates/removes them very well :)  I sadly won't be doing testing as I'm on whited00r (next version making new things), but it seemed very stable from the little bit of poking around I did ;)

I'm sure many people here shall enjoy this!

Offline BetterFolders

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 09:35:03 PM »

Well, I shall be the first to congratulate you!  Very nice bit of work here :)  Quite smooth on open/close, especially for 3.1.3/being a tweak (I know how hard that sort of stuff is!).   Icon arrangement is beautifully done too, it creates/removes them very well :)  I sadly won't be doing testing as I'm on whited00r (next version making new things), but it seemed very stable from the little bit of poking around I did ;)

I'm sure many people here shall enjoy this!

Thanks mate :)

Yep it was quite a bit of challenge to make this thing animate smoothly plus It still has a lotta logging stuff going on witch make it slower so... Will be 10-15% smoother and/or faster in final release :)

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 10:54:04 PM »
Thanks mate :)

Yep it was quite a bit of challenge to make this thing animate smoothly plus It still has a lotta logging stuff going on witch make it slower so... Will be 10-15% smoother and/or faster in final release :)

I was thinking of doing a folders replacement myself, in the iOS 7 style as it's probably a bit or a lot easier because I wouldn't even need to handle opening dynamics on the screen that much (well, animation of icons out and in but that's negligible) as it's all central, but the one thing holding me back was time and the drag/drop creation of folders and removal of icons from folders. Never quite wanted to dive into that, but as I said you did it quite admirably, better than the older folders even (well, everything is better ;) ) :)
When you say it's a native springboard plugin, do you care explaining that to me?  I know you can hook springboard, but I didn't think it allowed plugins :o  (I'm still learning as a developer ;) )

Offline BetterFolders

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 11:29:20 PM »
Iwell, animation of icons out and in but that's negligible

Actually if you're planning to get exactly the same look as it is in iOS7 you will face a bunch of problems. Animations are really simple but you'll have to render all of those huge icons (120x120) with different speeds and Easein-s  witch is nearly impossible on 2G-s and 3G-s. Even with OpenCL(we tried that with 3d planes lol this is crazy right?). Also you'll get a huge amount of aliasing an there's not way to fix it. That's why we didn't do it actually..  NO WAY to get a full native look.

drag/drop creation of folders and removal of icons from folders

Yep messing around with iconlists is a huge pain in the ### for sure trust me)))) You will end up hooking entire classes to get some sort of debug log.

...but as I said you did it quite admirably, better than the older folders even (well, everything is better ;) ) :)

Thanks again mate really appreciate it ;) we really wanted to make it look native with all that native stuff included. That was the goal.

When you say it's a native springboard plugin, do you care explaining that to me?  I know you can hook springboard, but I didn't think it allowed plugins :o  (I'm still learning as a developer ;) )

Well actually we call it like that because it's not just a hook(hooking something and injecting your code), we managed to log out some core system timings and events(don't ask me how lol.. goes down to hex codes makes my left eye blink randomly)  and found a way which makes the system memory(hard coded kernel stuff), api and graphics controller  think that it was not hooked at all... this was the only way to make the graphics render this fast... to gain higher cpu priority for animation delay timers etc.

Apple guys do quite the same stuff with their native folders(and not only with them), but of course they are dealing with open source there...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 11:34:15 PM by BetterFolders »

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 11:53:12 PM »
Actually if you're planning to get exactly the same look as it is in iOS7 you will face a bunch of problems. Animations are really simple but you'll have to render all of those huge icons (120x120) with different speeds and Easein-s  witch is nearly impossible on 2G-s and 3G-s. Even with OpenCL(we tried that with 3d planes lol this is crazy right?). Also you'll get a huge amount of aliasing an there's not way to fix it. That's why we didn't do it actually..  NO WAY to get a full native look.

I haven't even messed with the graphic animation frameworks to be honest, still on my list of things to learn. All I do animation wise is just mess with scale and alpha/frames in a UIView animation (probably a better way to do that admittedly).  I know what you mean though, animations are a pain on 3.1.3 :( iOS 4 at least has support for block animations, which cleans things up nicely and helps with timings of things greatly. It is a pain to time stuff right on 3.1.3, although I *think* the basic UIView animations support the ease in/out animation style even on 3.1.3? I thought I have used that before. 
Either way, you did a brilliant job animation wise on 3.1.3 :)

Yep messing around with iconlists is a huge pain in the ### for sure trust me)))) You will end up hooking entire classes to get some sort of debug log.

Yeah I did a little messing around, but I didn't even get to rearranging code and whatnot. I just made a static one that enabled/disabled editing, but did nothing on drag/drop. I probably will mess with it for other projects in the future, but for now I need to learn more basics :)

Thanks again mate really appreciate it ;) we really wanted to make it look native with all that native stuff included. That was the goal.

Well you did very very good on that :)

Well actually we call it like that because it's not just a hook(hooking something and injecting your code), we managed to log out some core system timings and events(don't ask me how lol.. goes down to hex codes makes my left eye blink randomly)  and found a way which makes the system memory(hard coded kernel stuff), api and graphics controller  think that it was not hooked at all... this was the only way to make the graphics render this fast... to gain higher cpu priority for animation delay timers etc.

Apple guys do quite the same stuff with their native folders(and not only with them), but of course they are dealing with open source there...

Haha, I don't think even the doctor can help with the eye blinking ;) Maybe you are the chosen one
That sounds like it would hurt to figure that out :(  It seems to have worked though! Smooth and wonderful animations!

Offline BetterFolders

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 12:40:00 AM »
I *think* the basic UIView animations support the ease in/out animation style even on 3.1.3?

Oh sure there are but you'll need to put some delays to make them work properly and than make something that makes delay work properly :D

Haha, I don't think even the doctor can help with the eye blinking ;) Maybe you are the chosen one

Lol I guess I took the wrong pill

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 01:06:37 AM »
Oh sure there are but you'll need to put some delays to make them work properly and than make something that makes delay work properly :D
Lol I guess I took the wrong pill

Ahhh... I thought it just slowed down the animation near the end or beginning but still took the specified amount of time (so, faster at first then slow).  Maybe not then :o  I saw that you had done that, some sort of animation manager. (no clue how it works and I'm not about to go messing with it :P ).

Ah better than me, I took both ;)

Offline BetterFolders

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 01:14:26 AM »
I thought it just slowed down the animation near the end or beginning but still took the specified amount of time (so, faster at first then slow). 

it simply lags when your have like 12 icons in your UIview and +10 outside on the springboard and you're trying to move them with easeinout with the same amount of time.

Under delay I mean the delay(timer fire) before the whole thing starts to animate. not just a delay parameter :)

some sort of animation manager

A monster with assemble injections lol

Offline cad111

• whited00r.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 01:18:43 AM »
Very cool!
Please make this open folders looks like ios 7 !!!!it will be amazing!!!

Offline BetterFolders

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 01:22:22 AM »
Very cool!

Thanks

Please make this open folders looks like ios 7 !!!!it will be amazing!!!

Quote from: BetterFolders
...we are NOT going release iOS 7 folders either. Simply because your device is not capable of rendering such stuff.

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 01:38:03 AM »
it simply lags when your have like 12 icons in your UIview and +10 outside on the springboard and you're trying to move them with easeinout with the same amount of time.

Under delay I mean the delay(timer fire) before the whole thing starts to animate. not just a delay parameter :)

A monster with assemble injections lol

Ahhh yeah it would do ;) I'm sure there are workarounds and whatnot, but it's not really worth it :)

Ohhhhhh that sort of delay, ah. Gotcha.   Yes it looked like a monster from just the header :s  Properly brilliant though throughout the whole thing though! :)

Also, if you want more attention of this, I might be able to put a word in with the whited00r twitter and facebook, as I'm sure everyone will love to hear about it and try it out ;)  that being said, you probably will get lots and lots more people wanting the iOS 7 style. Actually, on that subject, you may want to make it in bold or larger type down at the bottom that you aren't going to do it. That normally helps, yelling online ;)  (people tend to skim over the non-bold stuff).

Offline BetterFolders

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 01:42:01 AM »
LOL I was thinking just about the same thing. I will bold it and make it red lol
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 01:46:30 AM by BetterFolders »

Offline iTechy21

• Bashing the shell
  • Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Well errr... Stuff :3
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
  • Device: iPod Touch 1G
  • My Computer: Windows
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 03:12:48 PM »
TBH you should work for WD this is amazing much more stable than darlos folders :D I will end up making a video for this. And I am testing this on WD and have had no problems so far...
Follow me on twitter! | Subscribe to my YouTube Channel! | Follow my blog!
Please Read all the stickies if you're new. And follow the rules, please :)

Offline Andy

• A Mod. I think.
  • Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Whited00r 7
    • View Profile
    • Whited00r
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 04:48:36 PM »
This looks really nice, and works much smoother than Darlo's Folders ;)
Though, I would say that you should speed up the animation a bit on the closing. That part doesn't seem so smooth as compared to the rest of the folders.

Great Job, mate ;)
Oh yes. Hi.
I see you've noticed this Signature. Well, all I can tell you is that there's nothing to see here.
Yes, there is nothing interesting here. Just keep scrolling and we'll pretend nothing happened.