Author Topic: Whited00r 7 or Bl4ck0ut 7?  (Read 9767 times)

Offline yasotugral

• Whited00r7!
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Windows
Whited00r 7 or Bl4ck0ut 7?
« on: January 01, 2014, 09:22:10 PM »
Which?

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
Re: Whited00r 7 or Bl4ck0ut 7?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 10:21:29 PM »
Sigh.   This is probably going to be reallllly realllly mean, at least until bl4ck0ut get their act together. Hopefully this will make people understand the differences though, and what using bl4ck0ut means for your device and what using whited00r means :)

Pros of using Bl4ck0u 7:
It's based on iOS 4 so there is a little bit more support for tweaks and apps still, but major apps like whatsapp, instagram and a couple others still won't work.
OTA update feature so your device can crash quicker with the buggy updates :) 
Better than redd00r by a long shot on most of it.

Cons of using Bl4ck0ut 7:
Massively slow.
The developers don't understand the code so can't provide adequate troubleshooting support.
The code in the scripts is copy/pasted, and they even don't understand that (had to have me fix it up. I did not fix up the code, only the syntax).
Unstable due to poor design and build quality.
Uses Cydia tweaks modified to look like iOS 7, so it isn't quick and designed just for the firmware so nothing quite looks right, and it has extra bulk/dependencies.
Not a very good iOS 7 UI.
Not as full featured or well designed as whited00r (configurator/whited00r settings is much much better and well coded).
Seeing they don't understand the scripts they are running, your device runs the risk with every update of getting even more buggy and requiring a restore.
No quality control, it's just a bunch of pieces thrown together haphazardly internally and externally.
Have I mentioned they don't understand the code they use and overreach what they know so everything slows down?
I'm guessing that their secret hidden update features are not well coded, which is bad if they are mobile substrate tweaks because they won't feel "right" and will be buggy, conflict with other things, and leak memory if they don't understand memory management.
Pretty much all the pros of using whited00r are the cons of using bl4ck0ut because you won't have them ;)
Much much more :(

Summary of Bl4ck0ut 7
Potential, if they ever learn and stop just hacking together things (not the good hacking, I mean like the hacksaw/axe hacking). I did attempt to teach their main developer basic shell, but he kept just coming back even for syntax errors of new stuff he had copy/pasted together without any understanding of it really, rather than taking the time to learn the basics so it was better quality.
Even more potential if they do actually learn obj-c from the ground up and do it properly with good memory management and taking into consideration how other things interact with the tweaks, and also pay attention to the little details to make it "feel" right.
However, as it stands, there are much better projects that give more features, and better stability and quality, even if they don't give the iOS 7 UI yet. (although really, being iOS 6 UI and looking good is better than what they have put together).  Try out Archetype or Resurrection if you absolutely need to be running iOS 4 :)

Pros of using Whited00r 7:
Quality work.  We care about the devices, and don't overreach ourselves in what we can do.
No copy/pasting of code, everything is built from the ground up.
Many many many more features. (have you looked at the Whited00r 7 Introduction - What's new and how to use WD7?... Most of the stuff there isn't at bl4ck0ut, if any of it)
Stable products. When people follow the instructions we have posted, there are really not that many crashes (most of the new crashes are caused by restoring from a backup in iTunes).
Smart products. The configurator hides toggles that aren't needed, changes how things work based on if you have advanced config enabled or not. Everything has error handling pretty much. (even the tweaks). Everything is geared towards making sure you know what is happening if something goes wrong (and making sure nothing does!)
Fast products. Because we built the tweaks from scratch, we know them inside and out, and have been able to optimize them for the quickest speeds and least CPU/memory impact. Even the configurator works the fastest possible because of the smart coding in it.
Elegant. The little details in this that make it count. You probably won't even notice them until after ages of using it ;)
User friendly. Nothing is hard to use. The configurator even has a simple mode that handles the hard work behind the scenes as needed for average users, and features just work.
Beautiful UI. The theme and tweaks work together to create the best possible experience on these devices. We don't have garish title bars to account for the text still being white, we have nicely themed everything pretty much. The popups are the right colour, and everything just kind of fits together.
App Time Machine. The largest store (now native) for 3.1.3 compatible apps.

Cons of using whited00r 7:
It's on 3.1.3, so less support for tweaks/apps.
Sara and the iOS 7 App Switcher are kind of buggy (not done by the main developers) :(
Some small teething problems with the UI, although nothing as horrible as bl4ck0ut UI overall.
A couple crashes here and there, but that's with the new UI tweaks. Still being worked on, but no where as much problems as bl4ck0ut will have, and ours are consistent and we know what causes them because we coded everything ourselves, meaning we can fix the problems well ;)

Summary for whited00r 7:
Very very well built, and supported. Quick, fast, and fully featured. :) 

Also, bl4ck0ut may say they don't have many devs unlike whited00r, but the truth is whited00r has one main dev, one dev in training, and one non-main dev who did Sara and the iOS 7 App Switcher. We also only have one theme maker, working together with the dev that did the UI tweak so the graphics match the new code for the different bits.   Also, they were offered to be taught, and were even taught for a little bit but they didn't listen or learn then :(   Also, the devs at whited00r are all adults aside from the one in training, and all need to support themselves, so we don't just have masses and masses of free time ;)

Not trying to offend anyone, and bl4ck0ut can improve. They just haven't yet. They really do need to start from scratch.

Offline mattyboi13

• Whited00r 3g User : D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 10:59:08 PM »
Trust me whited00r is better i installed bl4ck0ut and absolutely hated it,it was unusable so i ended up going back to whited00r,+whited00r actually take there time and dont rush things

Offline AnimateDread

• SuperHero Member
  • Learning developer
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPod Touch 1G
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 06:16:46 PM »
+999999999999 for bcooperizcool's post.

Soutient en Francais ici

Offline Andy

• A Mod. I think.
  • Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Whited00r 7
    • View Profile
    • Whited00r
  • My Computer: Mac
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 06:35:14 PM »
+999999999999 for bcooperizcool's post.

+999999999999999999999999999 for bcooperizcool's post.
+99999999999999 for your +99999999999999
Oh yes. Hi.
I see you've noticed this Signature. Well, all I can tell you is that there's nothing to see here.
Yes, there is nothing interesting here. Just keep scrolling and we'll pretend nothing happened.

Offline Techboy99

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 08:12:23 PM »
Well I got to say that i've tried everything on my poor iphone 3g, and when i say that, i mean it! I've tried from stock 3.1.2-4.2.1 and also reddoor ,whited00r and bl4ck0ut projects.
At the moment I'm using bl4ck0ut 7 beta 5 . It had been a while using whited00r and i was totally exhausted by the crashes it had . Whenever i rebooted my device, whenever trying to shut down , whenever trying to do sth whited00r devs said it is well likely to be done in a perfect way , system would crash and take me over 2 minutes to restart springboard . It also wouldn't let me install apps such as Fb messenger or other apps that i can run on ios 4. Even though whited00r can give you a perfect ios 7 look , it doesn't give you anything in experience  :( That's why I would choose Bl4ckout project but by adjusting it's features . I've disabled multitasking and some other features and it has given me fantastic speed back. So don't go pretending bl4ck0ut is shitty compared to whitd00r . Both need improvements  >:(

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 08:44:59 PM »
Well I got to say that i've tried everything on my poor iphone 3g, and when i say that, i mean it! I've tried from stock 3.1.2-4.2.1 and also reddoor ,whited00r and bl4ck0ut projects.
At the moment I'm using bl4ck0ut 7 beta 5 . It had been a while using whited00r and i was totally exhausted by the crashes it had . Whenever i rebooted my device, whenever trying to shut down , whenever trying to do sth whited00r devs said it is well likely to be done in a perfect way , system would crash and take me over 2 minutes to restart springboard . It also wouldn't let me install apps such as Fb messenger or other apps that i can run on ios 4. Even though whited00r can give you a perfect ios 7 look , it doesn't give you anything in experience  :( That's why I would choose Bl4ckout project but by adjusting it's features . I've disabled multitasking and some other features and it has given me fantastic speed back. So don't go pretending bl4ck0ut is shitty compared to whitd00r . Both need improvements  >:(

Welcome to the forums :)

Have you tried whited00r 7.1?  ;)  That fixed the passcode crash, the power down crash, and also most of the incoming call crashes.  (You can get around the incoming call crash issue by installing insomnia though)  (so that point is not valid anymore :) )

Also, we do recommend disabling Sara and the iOS 7 app switcher, as those are the only two features that aren't so well done :( (and we admit that freely!) Doing that will cut down on the buggyness.

Apps wise, we cannot get apps that require a higher firmware to work, ever. That is not a whited00r bug, or a lack of a feature. It is an iOS thing itself. Same reason you can't get any higher firmwares than iOS 4 on your device.  (and if you read the FAQ it also says *why* we don't support other firmwares).

The experience is more than the look, it is the little details put into everything. The quality of the backend build as well. Yes, it may have issues every now and then, but it is still much more complete visually and feature wise (and much much much cleaner on the backend side in the code) than bl4ck0ut.
However, that being said, having the look is still better, and also the features ;)  That adds to the experience :)

Whited00r needs improvements, but much less than bl4ck0ut, and we also genuinely can fix those issues because we understand all the code, and it isn't just copy/pasted (although they are learning, but still... no where close yet).  We understand the code and do try and get full bug reports so we can fix the issues the best we can.  Whited00r 7.1 added in so much more over WD7, both visually, feature wise, and bug fixes and stability improvements (lots of those!)

You also can get even more speed on whited00r than on bl4ck0ut, even though we add in lots of visually pleasing elements, we don't sacrifice speed for the users that want that rather than more features (although all the features aside from the iOS 7 app switcher and Sara are very very memory efficient, very minimal impact. Maybe 3-5mb ram total, if that).   We do the best we can of balancing looks without loosing any speed :)  (Because we think up different ways to do things, to not put more stain on the system. Magic wizardry things :P)

So, my point above with the long explanation about the pros and cons still stands exactly how I said, except more so with Whited00r 7.1 ;)

Offline Techboy99

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 08:24:21 PM »
I have not only tried wd 7.1 but done almost everything on how  I could make it better . I had been a while on android developing and when i switched to my poor iphone ... well ... it was kindda hard but anyway. I'm really thankful to the job you do cause  I know it's not easy to give life to these shitty devices.  :P But anyway improvements can be done. Waiting for newer releases :)

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 09:28:38 PM »
I have not only tried wd 7.1 but done almost everything on how  I could make it better . I had been a while on android developing and when i switched to my poor iphone ... well ... it was kindda hard but anyway. I'm really thankful to the job you do cause  I know it's not easy to give life to these shitty devices.  :P But anyway improvements can be done. Waiting for newer releases :)

With whited00r 7.1 and the ota update from repo.whited00r.com (not repod00r!), you should no longer have had as many incoming call crashes (if any), and certainly not crashes when powering down the device :o
There also was something figured out as a workaround even for the incoming call crash, which we posted on the Facebook page.

We are always working in the silence on new things :)  (As is evidenced with whited00r 7 and 7.1)

Offline calbro765

• Whited00r iPhone User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 12:04:32 AM »
Which?

Hey guys,
I run a Iphone 3g. To put it simply i have been using Whited00r for 6 months now and i have had Bl4ck0ut. Over all Whited00r has the best IOS custom firmware i have seen and they have very nice features. Something that needs to be considered when asking for new features, Whited00r is working with old devices and with old device capabilities limited in speed and performance for the age. Whited00r has not only surpassed themselves but have made something equally great. In my opinion they not only had a greater understanding of what they were coding but understood how to make as much as they could with limited options.

Bl4ck0ut however i had constant system crashes it was really sketchy. A lot of Bad coding if you ask me i will never use them again. Themes would crash the device. Every time it would crash i lost photos and contact information. i had to keep restoring my phone.

In conclusion Whited00r kicked the crap out of Bl4ck0ut. With Whited00r I have had no system crashes and limited bugs and that was when I'm downloading 3rd party apps from cydia.
Long Live Whited00r!!!

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 07:39:51 AM »
Welcome to the forums :)

Glad you like whited00r!  To be fair, we do have some system crashes as well, mainly with incoming calls (which we still have not figured out the cause yet :( ).  Then just some other little oddities around the system.  We did try and make it quality overall though, and will continue to do so as time permits :)

Offline armin.azad

• I am from Peaceful country
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 11:53:35 AM »
Hi my friends...
I try WD5.2.1-WD6-WD7-WD7.1.x and Bl4ck0ut6-B06.1.x-B06.2-B07 beta1,5 and the final B07......
I now restore my iphone3g to last B07...because on ios4 based and does not have crash...it is slower than WD7.1.4 but have a less animation than WD...and have a better battery life in B07(Bl4ck0ut team does not do any thing for battery...)....i use lookinfo tweak for ios6 like notification on lookscreen and quick reply for SMS and Switcher mode for better multitasking and activator...but even my device speed and battery life are not bad...in addition in last B07 you can not choose your like option...
finally I really love WD7.1.4 because it is very fast and more look like ios7...but it is based on ios3 and have call-coming crash(you must disable ios7 lookscreen and ios7 notification to prevent crash...and it`s battery life is not good as ios4...in the other hand : WD have a full support for their custom firmware and active forum ...in WD you can choose your option to control your device ...it has control center and even more animation like ios7...
my suggestion to you is : Use WD5.2.1 for more speed and smooth device(based on ios3) or Bl4ck0ut6(based on ios4)....

Offline jdosan3645

• View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Device: Does Not Own iDevice ARMv6
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 08:04:06 PM »
Bl4ck0ut 7 is completely unusable. I have it on my iPod 4g, and now I can't restore it, since I don't have my computer with me right now, but it sucks. The only thing that is good is iOS 7 icons. I was on their forums yesterday, and found that they are making a performance enhancer for the iPod 4g. It probably won't work, tho. Whited00r actually runs well: it's smooth, it's fast, and powerful. I was able to get whited00r 7 on my iPod 4g once, by just changing the internal specs of my iPod 4g, and i was able to get it to work, but it was slow, since it was running on a iOS 6 iPod 4g. iOS 3.1.3 based WD7 does not run well on iOS 6

Offline iPH0NE_3GS

• SuperHero Member
  • 3GS BABY !
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 2G
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 11:47:47 PM »
Look up how to put your iPod in DFU mode while plugged in to iTunes and restore from there
Check out My "iOS 11 Theme For WD 7.1 " to make your WD 7.1 device look and Feel like iOS 11 !!