Author Topic: Can I use whited00r 7 on Ipad 1 to upgrade the iOS version?  (Read 9394 times)

Offline carljack

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Windows
I have an ipad 1 with ios 5, i just wanted to upgrade it to a higher ios... Please help me.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 05:14:55 PM by Bruan »

Offline MarioKartEpicness

• IPA God
  • SuperHero Member
  • MKE and Dog, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
  • Device: Does Not Own iDevice ARMv6
Re: Can i use whitedoor 7 on Ipad 1?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 02:25:01 PM »
Sorry, whited00r only works with armv6 devices, which are: IPhone 1G, 2G, 3G, iPod 1G, 2G MB, and 2G MC.

Sorry mate. :(
You see this dog? Yeah, she's my cute dog. (☞゚∀゚)☞

Offline iTechy21

• Bashing the shell
  • Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Well errr... Stuff :3
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
  • Device: iPod Touch 1G
Re: Can i use whitedoor 7 on Ipad 1?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 02:49:23 PM »
And it only brings the looks of ios 7 it doesnt allow for ios 5+ apps to be ran, or even ios 4 apps as the base firmware is os 3.1.3
Follow me on twitter! | Subscribe to my YouTube Channel! | Follow my blog!
Please Read all the stickies if you're new. And follow the rules, please :)

Offline AnimateDread

• SuperHero Member
  • Learning developer
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPod Touch 1G
Can i use whitedoor 7 on Ipad 1?
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 03:26:46 PM »
Maybe someday, but it would not be called whited00r.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 05:16:21 PM by revivaldev »
Soutient en Francais ici

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
Re: Can I use whited00r 7 on Ipad 1 to upgrade the iOS version?
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 05:18:02 PM »
Welcome to the forums :)

You can't use whited00r on the iPad at all, and you can never use any higher iOS version that 5.1.1. 

This is explained (and still relevant for these devices) in the Whited00r 7.1 FAQ/Bugs and Troubleshooting READ BEFORE POSTING

About getting whited00r 7 on other devices:
Whited00r device support and future plans
Sorry if below sounds harsh, but it's the truth of how things are. Sometimes only bluntly saying things gets it through and makes people understand the full picture ;)

Will whited00r support any new devices like the iPad 1G, iPod touch 3G/4G, or the iPhone 3GS?
No. It won't. If there ever are any other things for those devices, it would be under another project name.

Why doesn't whited00r support those devices, or different iOS versions?
Too much work to develop for more and more devices.

It's not that much work to make it work for iOS 6 or the other devices! Lazy! >:(

No, we aren't lazy. Whited00r 7 took 6+ months of development, reverse engineering and testing/designing to get working.
It's not as easy as just modifying some things and suddenly it works. We want to do quality work, and even if we didn't it would still face the following problems:
  • New API - Yes, we may have new API to work with, it also means the old code could become inefficient, or not work as designed originally
  • New Classes - New classes means things that we used before could be obsolete, or not even exist anymore.
  • Changes to existing Classes - This means things we have currently hooked or use, and spent ages figuring out, no longer behave as expected, exist, or even do the same things, or else aren't the quickest or best, or the cleanest way to do it anymore.
So, if we were to do it for newer firmwares, we would have to recode everything again and again and reverse engineer for each iOS version. On each new iOS, there will be any number of unpredictable challenges or roadblocks, meaning it could take even longer than whited00r 7 did. That's for each iOS we add support for.

The issues above are a big thing, but also, there is the problem of time. Whited00r is done for free, only for these older devices because it's not a whole set of new devices (thus requiring all the same work all over again).   We do this in our free time, but the developing team are all adults and need to make a living. Pouring all our free time (and even not the free time) into this sort of thing, to get nothing anywhere near what would be logical in return is stupid on our part.   We can't logically keep giving away everything for free if we were to support new devices. (even doing it for whited00r is kind of silly, but we do it for you. ).  No, lite versions of things wouldn't work either. You can't get anything reasonable with a lite version of this sort of thing and still have the incentive to upgrade to the full version and make the right sort of revenue to make this smart for us to keep doing.

As is, we keep supporting 3.1.3 only, and only on the current set of devices :)  Maybe, maybe at some point in the future we will start other projects, if we figure out a good balance.  Not saying we won't ever do that, but not soon that I know of. It took us that long without needing to constantly troubleshoot super-active forums (which they are now seeing we just released an update).  We also need a rest ;) (only human after all, for most of us)

Then for getting apps that require a higher firmware:
Apps that require higher iOS versions, and upgrading to higher iOS versions

Not possible, simple as that. More in depth though, for those of you that actually want to understand why :)

While whited00r may do many things to the device to make it seem like iOS 7, it is still only 3.1.3 and very limited API wise and hardware wise.
Cracking an app does not make it compatible with anything other than the firmware it was built for. It only unties it from an iTunes account, meaning it can be installed on other devices (mostly used for piracy sadly, the App Time Machine uses it as a necessity).

There is no way to make an app that requires a higher firmware to work on an older device, ever. Nothing can be done tweak wise or anything wise. The app is built on entirely different API and for an entirely different firmware, and hardware too most of the time.   If that weren't bad enough, the apps are closed source, meaning even if we had the manpower or time, we couldn't port apps backwards to iOS 3 (although that wouldn't be worth it, and would take incredible amounts of time to try to do it, if it was even possible in a lot of cases). 
All the apps in the App Time Machine are simply the last compatible versions of the apps, before they dropped support for iOS 3.1.3.  There is no way to update them to newer versions, or make them work with newer API on the server side if they rely on that. Once an app is cut off server side for older versions, it is pretty much dead (take whatsapp, instagram, kik, and a couple others).
There is also no way to get your device to run a newer firmware either, as iOS is closed source, and the hardware simply couldn't support it. Even trying to get bits of it (if it was open source, which it isn't) for certain API, would take crazy amounts of time which we don't have, and would pretty much still need the whole thing ported. That would still cause issues with everything else on the system though, that excepts the API to be for 3.1.3, not anything else, meaning everything would need to be changed, and pretty much run the entire higher iOS, which isn't possible.

and more on the CPU and hardware bits, from the old FAQ

Why can't I install Apps that Requires iOS 4.3 or upgrade above iOS 4.2.1?

iOS 4.3 and above and apps that requires iOS 4.3 are using binaries CPU instructions sets for newer devices equipped with ARMv7 CPU & faster GPU and only those Apple devices have it:
ARMv7s = iPhone 5, iPad 4
ARMv7  = iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod Touch 3G, 4G & 5G, iPad, iPad 2, iPad 3 & iPad Mini.

Apple Devices with the ARMv6 CPU supported by Whited00r & App Time Machine but not by Apple anymore and dropped slowly & surely by iTunes :-\

iPod Touch 1G or 1st Generation  - max iOS 3.1.3
    Original iPhone 2G or 1st Gen - max iOS 3.1.3

iPod Touch 2G or 2nd Gen - max iOS 4.2.1
    iPhone 3G or 2nd Gen - max iOS 4.2.1 but it's dog-slow, the very limit of what that hardware can take. Whited00r is based on a tweaked iOS 3.1.3 because it is much more fluid with plenty of free available RAM to run apps.

Apple could easily require that app developers include iOS backward compatibility to be eligible to iTunes App Store but they decided not to.  :-\   Apple makes the Xcode software that developers are using to create apps and removed support for ARMv6 binaries compatibility in their Xcode 4.5 version (see Mac Developer Library - Xcode Release Notes for technical details). Apparently they re-enabled ARMv6 binaries compatibility in the current Xcode 4.5.2 according to this.

Offline carljack

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 06:51:26 PM »
Ouch..well, Thank You Guys.

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 12:29:11 AM »
Ouch..well, Thank You Guys.

Haha yeah, kinda harsh, sorry about that :(
It's the way it is though for older devices, no new apps :(