Author Topic: No sound with Tunein and Tuner apps on WD7.1  (Read 3926 times)

Offline Moonbyrd

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Mac
No sound with Tunein and Tuner apps on WD7.1
« on: April 13, 2014, 01:23:03 PM »
Hello All !

I'm a new user of Whited00r and gratz to all you guys for the great work done here.

I installed it so I could reuse an old iPhone 3G of mine as a web radio station. Install went fine, and Whited00r 7.1 is running on it.

I then downloaded Tunein from the App Store (I supposed it came from AppTimeMachine), started it but unfortunately I don't get any sound. I can start a web radio, I get it's logo and I see "buffering" and "Connecting" messages but nothing plays. I also tried with a Tuner app, same thing. On the other hand the WFMU app works, I can play songs synced from iTunes, listen to iTunes store preview, and play ring tones. It means the audio output works well.

Is it a problem from those apps ? Or could it be from some underlying iOS (Whited00red) problem with the audio layer and some streaming APIs ?

Moonbyrd
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 02:42:57 AM by Bruan »

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
Re: No sound with Tunein and Tuner apps on WD7.1
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 02:45:21 AM »
Welcome to the forums :)

If you could, try using Pandora, as I am pretty sure that still works server side for the older version.  That's just to make sure nothing is blocking it from playing out through the audio.

If both Tuner and Tunein don't play music, and seem not to connect ever or actually play a song, then it very likely is a server side issue where these old apps can't communicate with the newer server side changes :(  When something like that happens, there is nothing that can be done to fix it, as all the apps are closed source, and we don't have the time to even try to modify them by a  tweak (which still would be near impossible, as we didn't code it and can't see the server API/code or the pre-existing code in the apps).

Offline Moonbyrd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 08:19:05 AM »
Thanks a lot for your answer, Bruan, it could be the reason why it isn't working.

I already tried Pandora, but because of licence restrictions on their side, my IP wasn't allowed to use their service. I'll try again, but I'll have to set up a VPN and use a proxy. I found some information about it here, hope it works as mentioned with SecurityKiss.com:

2- From [Tutorial] whited00r 6 How-To Find iOS 3.1.3 Compatible Apps - iTunes iOS Filter 3.x:

Setup VPN on iPhone 3G whited00r 6 as PPTP as I tried with different VPN tunnels servers in L2TP and it always failed.

I'll also try the Internet Radio app that's mentioned in the FAQ and will keep you posted.

Can someone else confirm if Tunein isn't working anymore (or not) ?

Cheers,
Moonbyrd

Offline Moonbyrd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 05:26:30 PM »
Hi again !

Did some tests with other apps:
. Internet Radio Box: works great, it's what I'm looking for (a web radio directory), streams are fine
. Pandora: I had to setup a VPN using SecurityKiss.com, and it worked sort of: I could stream some music but it was very hectic, lots of interruptions. Maybe because of the VPN ?

Anyway, these tests tend to demonstrate that the problem lies with Tunein, and as you said, maybe something that changed server side. So there's nothing we can do about it.

Moonbyrd

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 07:13:08 PM »
Ah, that is a bummer :( You can probably find a couple other good internet radio apps just by searching "radio" in the App Time Machine, although it is hit or miss if they work or not. I will bug the App Time Machine team to see if they can implement some sort of system where users can report apps as "broken server side" or similar so you know in advance what you are getting into. 

Pandora being interrupted a lot would probably be the VPN, so I guess that kinda of rules that out, unless you can make a US account and then just log into that (kind of how google voice was blocked in the U.K. but I could use my U.S. created account there).

Offline juniiior

• View Profile
  • Device: Does Not Own iDevice ARMv6
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 05:51:47 PM »
I had an older version of Tunein Radio Pro that worked just fine on my iPod Touch running iOS 3.1.3 2 days ago.
I had to do a restaure and I lost all my apps, including tunein radio. I confirm that this problem with the buffering is not a problem with the server, but something related with this version.
If you could update Tunein Radio with a previous version of this one, I would be really happy. That's why I ended up here, using whited00r.
Please, help me!
Thank you so much!

Offline juniiior

• View Profile
  • Device: Does Not Own iDevice ARMv6
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 12:37:59 AM »
The version 2.2 WORKS!!!
Here is the link:
http://www.4shared.com/mobile/WxyI5LnQ/TuneIn_Radio_Pro_22.htm