Author Topic: iPhone 3g stuck on apple logo after resetting device  (Read 5740 times)

Offline HardyHarHar

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Windows
iPhone 3g stuck on apple logo after resetting device
« on: April 23, 2014, 07:44:22 AM »
Earlier today, I had an old Iphone 3g plugged into the wall ( I use it mostly as an ipod now) and it was fine, I decided to restore it to factory settings so I could give it to someone and now it's stuck on the apple logo, my computer will not recognize it, holding home/sleep key (the home key was always a little touchy) won't even turn it off.  Anyway, I had cydia dled on there, I hope that's not a big deal.  Any help, as it was going to a gift to a friend (he mostly just wants an ipod).  Let me Know.  Thanks in advance. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 02:56:08 AM by Bruan »

Offline iTechy21

• Bashing the shell
  • Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Well errr... Stuff :3
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
  • Device: iPod Touch 1G
Re: Iphone 3g stuck on apple logo
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 09:11:04 AM »
Have you tried restoring to stock?Also do you want whited00r as I will gladly link you to the install instructions. All need to know is; is your device factory unlocked or does it use a software unlock?
Follow me on twitter! | Subscribe to my YouTube Channel! | Follow my blog!
Please Read all the stickies if you're new. And follow the rules, please :)

Offline tj3818

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 04:01:25 PM »
I actually had basically the same problem with my 3g and this is how I fixed it:
1:Let it sit for about a day with no power (until the battery runs out)
3:Plug the iPhone into iTunes (This might not work, if so, plug it into a wall charger for about 5 minutes; the buttons should, hopefully, work now), but as you are plugging in the cable, hold down the home button until the connect to iTunes screen comes up on your phone(you have to be quick)
4:iTunes should recognize an iPhone 3g in recovery mode.
5:Now you should be able to restore to whatever firmware you want (if iTunes gives you an error, use redsn0w to kick your phone out of recovery mode)
Hope this helps.
Check out the iDroid project.  I'm no developer, but Android on an iOS device is pretty cool!

Offline iTechy21

• Bashing the shell
  • Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 04:42:53 PM »
I actually had basically the same problem with my 3g and this is how I fixed it:
5:Now you should be able to restore to whatever firmware you want (if iTunes gives you an error, use redsn0w to kick your phone out of recovery mode)
Hope this helps.
After putting it into DFU mode beforehand

Offline tj3818

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 04:48:22 PM »
I have personally found that you don't need DFU, even when downgrading, as iTunes only throws errors when downgrading AFTER it has restored everything (at least for the multiple times I've done it).  With the problem that OP is having, you can't go into DFU even after you get the phone into recovery mode.  All you have to is go into redsn0w (the version supplied with whited00r), identify your build as  :) IOS 4.2.1 :) and click get out of recovery mode (this does require DFU, but your iPhone should go in no problem now that you have a clean iOS instead of the version that was giving you problems.
Check out the iDroid project.  I'm no developer, but Android on an iOS device is pretty cool!

Offline HardyHarHar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 06:02:46 PM »
Hey, thanks for the response.  To answer your questions (Itechy) it had a software unlock, I downloaded redsn0w through cydia (this was years ago).  My main concern right now is that I can't get a response from it at all.  The home key will not respond ( I'm trying to let it power down completely and then get it into DFU mode) and I started a new profile on my computer and it won't even read it's there.  I use the same USB cord for the phone I currently use and there are no problems.  Under device manager, it won't even read that it's there.  I find this all really strange since yesterday it was working beautifully.  Again I appreciate all the help so thanks again. 

Offline iTechy21

• Bashing the shell
  • Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 08:41:10 PM »
If the device isn't detected by the pc try putting it into dfu mode anyway as that is a hardware failsafe (Google it there are many helpful videos on the web) and if you do it right the screen will be blank but it should then be detected by the pc. I hope the helps :)

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
Re: iPhone 3g stuck on apple logo after restoring to stock iOS
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 09:27:29 PM »
Seeing it is not being detected at all, and the home button is broken, the first thing to do is just let the battery drain out.  (If holding down the home and power buttons for 30ish seconds doesn't turn it off)

From there though, it really is difficult to get it into any sort of recovery mode without a working home button...  As the technique for getting into recovery mode (used when DFU mode can't be reached because of hardware issues) is to hold down the home button as you plug the device into power, after it is turned off so it turns on and goes into recovery mode.

However, seeing it is not detected at all by the computer, you can't use any of the tools to put it into recovery mode or DFU mode (if redsn0w or iReb don't detect it at least).  :(

Offline HardyHarHar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 09:40:34 PM »
Hey everyone; I just wanted to say thank you.  I'm going to give it one last shot and just let it power down ( I can't believe restoring to factory settings could cause all these problems) I tried redsn0w and it doesn't recognize it, which I think sadly means that it's a hardware issue.  Agreed with the above poster, without a home button it seems pretty pointless.  Thanks, anyone want a broken iphone?

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 09:48:06 PM »
Hey everyone; I just wanted to say thank you.  I'm going to give it one last shot and just let it power down ( I can't believe restoring to factory settings could cause all these problems) I tried redsn0w and it doesn't recognize it, which I think sadly means that it's a hardware issue.  Agreed with the above poster, without a home button it seems pretty pointless.  Thanks, anyone want a broken iphone?

Unless something happened after the restore to stock iOS, I don't know what could have caused it, unless it restored fine, and then you jailbroke it and that caused the issues...

Well, without a home button or power button working, you can still use the device and restore it, but that hinges on the computer detecting it (if going through a USB hub, try plugging directly into the computer).

If you do ever get it working, you may want to use whited00r as that has an Assistive touch type feature (unless you prefer activator). ;)

Offline HardyHarHar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 09:55:13 PM »
It was jailbroken before, but I haven't done it since the factory restore.  I just wanted to give it to a friend so he could use it as an ipod for jogging, never thought I'd have so much difficulty. 

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 01:02:46 AM »
Do you recall how much battery percentage was left when you started the restore to stock iOS?

Offline HardyHarHar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 02:57:48 AM »
It was plugged in for a while; so I'm guessing if not at 100% it was pretty close. 

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 03:27:03 AM »
It was plugged in for a while; so I'm guessing if not at 100% it was pretty close.

Hmmm... Did iTunes give an error on the restore?

Offline HardyHarHar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 05:59:07 AM »
It didn't; I just did the reset function on the phone ( sorry if I mixed up the terminology).