Author Topic: iPod touch 1G not booting/not recognized by computer after restoring to WD7  (Read 1068 times)

Offline rick2313

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
  • Device: Does Not Own iDevice ARMv6
  • My Computer: Windows
I own an ipod touch 1G

I did everything to install whited00r but with no success

But my home button is broken, so i cant enter DFU mode.. then i created a custom firmware to enter DFU (using Redsnow)

I restored the device on itunes and selected the custom firmware to enter DFU.. Ok, after that, i tried installing whited00r again.. with no success

And now my device is not recognized by itunes, not recognized by windows.. I cant turn it on, i cant do nothing

Did I lost it ?

Edit by Bruan to provide more keywords in the title :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 06:14:31 AM by Bruan »

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Linux
Re: I THINK I LOST MY DEVICE TRYING TO INSTALL WHITED00R
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 06:13:30 AM »
Were there any errors during any of the steps you did?

Also, how much of a battery charge was on the device before you attempted this process?  You have to use the DFU .ipsw and then use redsn0w again to enter PWNED DFU mode, and then restore, for future reference by the way (probably why it didn't work).

I would guess you just have to let the device sit for a day or two, to make sure the battery is drained, and then let it stay on it's own plugged into a wall charger for a day (wall charger gives more power).

If all goes well, it will reboot into recovery mode because of the failed restore attempt.  (or is recognized by the computer at all)

Offline rick2313

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 03:34:59 PM »
Were there any errors during any of the steps you did?

Also, how much of a battery charge was on the device before you attempted this process?  You have to use the DFU .ipsw and then use redsn0w again to enter PWNED DFU mode, and then restore, for future reference by the way (probably why it didn't work).

I would guess you just have to let the device sit for a day or two, to make sure the battery is drained, and then let it stay on it's own plugged into a wall charger for a day (wall charger gives more power).

If all goes well, it will reboot into recovery mode because of the failed restore attempt.  (or is recognized by the computer at all)

Finally solved the problem. Restarted the pc and changed USB port, Windows recognized the ipod in DFU mode, but not itunes. After much research I managed to itunes recognize the device in dfu mode. After many attempts I installed Whited00r

The only problem now is that I can not add sources on cydia, i get stuck in "done: packages" forever
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 03:37:30 PM by rick2313 »

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 07:31:53 AM »
Finally solved the problem. Restarted the pc and changed USB port, Windows recognized the ipod in DFU mode, but not itunes. After much research I managed to itunes recognize the device in dfu mode. After many attempts I installed Whited00r

The only problem now is that I can not add sources on cydia, i get stuck in "done: packages" forever

Odd, perhaps it was the install of iTunes on your computer, plus the USB cable (sometimes they can be finicky with the positioning if they are going bad).

Glad that problem is solved though! 

Now, onto your Cydia issue.  :)
When you restored to whited00r, did you set up as a new device in iTunes, or restore from a backup to get your data back?

Offline rick2313

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 04:54:02 PM »
Odd, perhaps it was the install of iTunes on your computer, plus the USB cable (sometimes they can be finicky with the positioning if they are going bad).

Glad that problem is solved though! 

Now, onto your Cydia issue.  :)
When you restored to whited00r, did you set up as a new device in iTunes, or restore from a backup to get your data back?

I restored from a backup.. I need to set up a new device ?

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 07:43:22 AM »
I restored from a backup.. I need to set up a new device ?

Always set up as a new devices when jailbroken, as otherwise it can cause really weird bugs. More so when using a custom firmware too.
Back up your stuff before restoring using this method though:
[Tutorial] Backup Apps & Data BEFORE Upgrading iOS Firmware WD 7 3.1.3 4.1 4.2.1.

After that is done, you can restore and set up as a new device, then restore data manually using that method as well. That should avoid any of those weird bugs that can't be fixed :)

Sorry about that :(