Author Topic: [Review] The Onplus One. A flagship killer...  (Read 1578 times)

Offline iTechy21

• Bashing the shell
  • Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Well errr... Stuff :3
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
  • Device: iPod Touch 1G
  • My Computer: Windows
[Review] The Onplus One. A flagship killer...
« on: February 19, 2015, 12:41:57 PM »
Overview and introduction
So for those that follow me on Twitter may have noticed that I tweeted about my new phone. The mythical OnePlus one.
What makes this phone special you probably ask?
The price.

Price vs specs
At 275 (inc. 6 Postage and packaging) this lives up to the nickname "the flagship killer" with a top of the range Quad core processor and 3GB of Ram to power this thing. It beasts through gaming as if its a walk in the park. And is even comparable to the Samsung galaxy S5 (yes I know the G Alpha is out along with the new G Note but they are pushing 600 ish in the UK alone).

Software
Running Android KitKat with CyanogenMod installed this has to be the must have phone for those power users out there.  CyanogenMod allows for customisation down to the smallest of details such as changing the position of the clock to changing the boot animation  CyanogenMod has been made safe to get on this phone (along with support for two years from the release so another year and a bit). But the support doesn't stop there...
With OnePlus making their own firmware to flash if people want to use it. It's called oxygen OS which lands in March. And Android lollipop to fall in the next few weeks...

Extra hardware stuff :P
You also get a 13 Megapixel camera and 64gb of storage which is plenty of space for the 4K footage you can film. And with a 5MP front facing camera which is on par with most iPhone's. A nice 5.5 inch screen puts this in the phablet category but the size doesn't matter when you have raw power in your hands.

Issues
However some software issues have arisen such as the significant battery drain in the latest version of CM and people have reported yellow bands on the bottom of their screens which is due to the adhesive not being cured properly and if you drop the phone face down on it's screen it stops working completely. I have personally experienced random reboots that I think are because of the unlocked boot loader but I can't be 100% sure...
However issues like this are expected from a new startup that only recently turned 1.

Tl;Dr
A great phone for the price. With perfect software. However there are teething issues. If you like to tinker with phones, this phone is for you :)   

Pictures

Follow me on twitter! | Subscribe to my YouTube Channel! | Follow my blog!
Please Read all the stickies if you're new. And follow the rules, please :)

Offline [email protected]

• SuperHero Member
  • Old is Smart!
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 3G
Re: [Review] The Onplus One. A flagship killer...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 04:28:08 PM »
That's one killer phone there ;)
CyanogenMod is the best !! It is completly optimized for all android devices
I hate the oneplus one in India because it dosent come with CyanogenMod it comes with stock android :( but there is an alternative it's called Micromax Yu thou (Indian manufacturer)

[request] iTechy 21 can you put a image while it's booting (I want to see the boot logo :D )
New Thinking New Possiblities.
Proud owner of the legendary iPhone 3G.
And Proud Owner of the best budget phone Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 and iPad 3

Offline iTechy21

• Bashing the shell
  • Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 04:35:19 PM »
That's one killer phone there ;)
CyanogenMod is the best !! It is completly optimized for all android devices
I hate the oneplus one in India because it dosent come with CyanogenMod it comes with stock android :( but there is an alternative it's called Micromax Yu thou (Indian manufacturer)

[request] iTechy 21 can you put a image while it's booting (I want to see the boot logo :D )
I can do a small video if you would prefer. If you root and install TWRP there is nothing stopping you getting CM11 / 12 zips from cyanogen11s directly...
Edit here is the booting animation for stock :P
CyanogenMod11s Stock bootlogo: http://youtu.be/vpRSkDffW4U
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 04:47:24 PM by iTechy21 »

Offline [email protected]

• SuperHero Member
  • Old is Smart!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 03:18:08 AM »
The boot logo looks good! This is my samsung galaxy ace boot logo....
New Thinking New Possiblities.
Proud owner of the legendary iPhone 3G.
And Proud Owner of the best budget phone Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 and iPad 3

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 06:29:50 AM »
It is a nice phone indeed! I actually have one of those myself (have done for a while now).
Do you have issues with the video recording in slow motion with bands going across the screen sometimes?  I know the camera software used in Cyanogenmod 11S is not as good as it should be for the camera sensor used (same as in some Sony phones and others), but I'm not sure if that is the case.

What sort of battery life do you get with it?  I've found all the Android L ROMs don't have as good battery life, by a few hours or more on the SOT (screen on time), and standby.   On KitKat I get decent battery life, even with having my phone connected to my Moto 360 nonstop. (I have yet to make apps for that, even though I know Java and make android apps -__- )  I found that the Furnace kernel (discontinued because other developers kept stealing the credit pretty much for his work it seems?) had the best battery life by far on everything. Sadly I don't think it works with the latest CM11s because of the new audio tweaks - can't play videos it seems, for me at least.

Also, if you are new to the whole android thing (maybe not?), and like flashing (why not, it doesn't void the warranty), check out MultiRom.  Very cool for quickly testing things all while having a fallback install, even if battery life takes a few days to settle into place on each new ROM.

Good job on getting a tempered glass screen protector (I think, or just a really thick normal one) :3  Do you have a case for it yet?

Offline iTechy21

• Bashing the shell
  • Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 10:17:06 AM »
It is a nice phone indeed! I actually have one of those myself (have done for a while now).
Do you have issues with the video recording in slow motion with bands going across the screen sometimes?  I know the camera software used in Cyanogenmod 11S is not as good as it should be for the camera sensor used (same as in some Sony phones and others), but I'm not sure if that is the case.

What sort of battery life do you get with it?  I've found all the Android L ROMs don't have as good battery life, by a few hours or more on the SOT (screen on time), and standby.   On KitKat I get decent battery life, even with having my phone connected to my Moto 360 nonstop. (I have yet to make apps for that, even though I know Java and make android apps -__- )  I found that the Furnace kernel (discontinued because other developers kept stealing the credit pretty much for his work it seems?) had the best battery life by far on everything. Sadly I don't think it works with the latest CM11s because of the new audio tweaks - can't play videos it seems, for me at least.

Also, if you are new to the whole android thing (maybe not?), and like flashing (why not, it doesn't void the warranty), check out MultiRom.  Very cool for quickly testing things all while having a fallback install, even if battery life takes a few days to settle into place on each new ROM.

Good job on getting a tempered glass screen protector (I think, or just a really thick normal one) :3  Do you have a case for it yet?
I haven't tinkered with any ROMs just yet but I know what I'm doing :P ( got CyanogenMod on my two older phones :P) I only just got enough time yesterday to install TWRP but I'm going to install MultiRom soon ;)
Battery life was a day with very heavy usage. I'm at 62% while posting this on CM11S Q which is notorious for battery drain :( but stock CM12 should be coming soon. It's in 3rd party testing...
Have yet to get a case but I'm gonna get the OPO flipcase I think :P
As for slow motion I can test that out later today...

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 07:44:58 AM »
I haven't tinkered with any ROMs just yet but I know what I'm doing :P ( got CyanogenMod on my two older phones :P) I only just got enough time yesterday to install TWRP but I'm going to install MultiRom soon ;)
Battery life was a day with very heavy usage. I'm at 62% while posting this on CM11S Q which is notorious for battery drain :( but stock CM12 should be coming soon. It's in 3rd party testing...
Have yet to get a case but I'm gonna get the OPO flipcase I think :P
As for slow motion I can test that out later today...

Oh good, then you should be able to enjoy this phone to it's full experience :)

I think android L ROMs in general are pretty bad on battery life on all phones compared to the other ones :( 

I may wipe the system on my phone and flash back to 44s and the older radio if I have it.   (if I can dirty flash down with only a system wipe... don't know.)

Offline iTechy21

• Bashing the shell
  • Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 08:54:20 AM »
Oh good, then you should be able to enjoy this phone to it's full experience :)

I think android L ROMs in general are pretty bad on battery life on all phones compared to the other ones :( 

I may wipe the system on my phone and flash back to 44s and the older radio if I have it.   (if I can dirty flash down with only a system wipe... don't know.)
Got multirom installed and running slimcat. Just a shame that the CM12 nightlies don't multiboot :(

Offline avensis

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
  • Device: Does Not Own iDevice ARMv6
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 03:46:48 PM »
the nex Oneplus X is also a good phone.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 11:28:12 AM by avensis »

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 06:18:13 AM »
the nex Oneplus X is also a good phone

Yeah, although it is basically a OnePlus One hardware wise.