Author Topic: Iphone 3G 'down/upgraded' from 4.2.1 to 3.1.3 - cannot read SIM  (Read 385 times)

Offline missmelis

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Mac
Iphone 3G 'down/upgraded' from 4.2.1 to 3.1.3 - cannot read SIM
« on: February 20, 2016, 06:35:22 PM »
Firstly thank you so much for the WD software and for this awesome support forum!

In 2014 I upgraded my 3G to 4.2.1 and also jailbroke it. A few days ago I upgraded to the more recent version (well I guess downgraded as it was 3.1.3 which i didn't realise at the time) as I wanted to get more functionality (esp. whatsapp). So I upgraded to WD7 and 3.1.3. This wiped all my data (contacts, pics, messages etc.) and I was no longer able to upgrade my phone or put all my backed up contents on it (the incompatibility / corrupt error came up on iTunes). At that point my SIM was being read.

I (naively, stupidly!) restored 4.2.1 on iTunes, which most likely un-jailbroke my phone. So I then reinstalled 3.1.3 and WD7 unlocker however now my SIM card isn't being read and my baseband is 5.15.04. The jailbreak apps don't seem to offer any solutions for 3.1.3?

I've been going round in circles the past few days trying to work out a solution and have been reading the forums but don't seem to be able to find a solution for my specific predicament.

My questions are:
Can I go back to 4.2.1 unlocked and upload all my data? (I now regret trying to upgrade!)

OR can I at least unlock my phone and somehow upload my data to 3.1.3? I'm guessing it wouldn't be through iTunes. I tried ifunbox and itools but they weren't compatible. Any other suggestions?

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
Re: Iphone 3G 'down/upgraded' from 4.2.1 to 3.1.3 - cannot read SIM
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 09:01:16 PM »
Firstly thank you so much for the WD software and for this awesome support forum!

In 2014 I upgraded my 3G to 4.2.1 and also jailbroke it. A few days ago I upgraded to the more recent version (well I guess downgraded as it was 3.1.3 which i didn't realise at the time) as I wanted to get more functionality (esp. whatsapp). So I upgraded to WD7 and 3.1.3. This wiped all my data (contacts, pics, messages etc.) and I was no longer able to upgrade my phone or put all my backed up contents on it (the incompatibility / corrupt error came up on iTunes). At that point my SIM was being read.

I (naively, stupidly!) restored 4.2.1 on iTunes, which most likely un-jailbroke my phone. So I then reinstalled 3.1.3 and WD7 unlocker however now my SIM card isn't being read and my baseband is 5.15.04. The jailbreak apps don't seem to offer any solutions for 3.1.3?

I've been going round in circles the past few days trying to work out a solution and have been reading the forums but don't seem to be able to find a solution for my specific predicament.

My questions are:
Can I go back to 4.2.1 unlocked and upload all my data? (I now regret trying to upgrade!)

OR can I at least unlock my phone and somehow upload my data to 3.1.3? I'm guessing it wouldn't be through iTunes. I tried ifunbox and itools but they weren't compatible. Any other suggestions?

You can go to 4.2.1 and restore your data to back it up manually before going to whited00r using this tutorial:
[Tutorial] Backup Apps & Data BEFORE Upgrading iOS Firmware WD 7 3.1.3 4.1 4.2.1

As for your cellular service, you will have to follow this tutorial:
Baseband downgrade tutorial - Whited00r Official Guide

Also, app compatibility won't be solved by installing whited00r, as it is still just 3.1.3. Nothing can help with those issues sadly :(

Offline missmelis

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
  • My Computer: Mac
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 11:27:07 AM »

You can go to 4.2.1 and restore your data to back it up manually before going to whited00r using this tutorial:
[Tutorial] Backup Apps & Data BEFORE Upgrading iOS Firmware WD 7 3.1.3 4.1 4.2.1

Thank you for your quick reply! How do I go back to 4.2.1? Do I upgrade through iTunes? I felt that was where I went wrong last time so thought i'd check before I take the next step!  :-[

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 06:33:09 AM »
Thank you for your quick reply! How do I go back to 4.2.1? Do I upgrade through iTunes? I felt that was where I went wrong last time so thought i'd check before I take the next step!  :-[

You may need to make a custom 4.2.1 .ipsw as the baseband downgrade tutorial suggests, so that you can properly downgrade it.