Author Topic: iTunes doesn't show iPod Touch 1g in DFU mode?  (Read 969 times)

Offline manymachines

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPod Touch 1G
  • My Computer: Mac
iTunes doesn't show iPod Touch 1g in DFU mode?
« on: April 03, 2016, 06:25:06 AM »
Just got back to pfutzing with my old iPod Touch 1g again.  I restored it to the "latest" iOS 3.1.3.  I went into redsn0w, successfully got it into DFU Mode, and ran its jailbreak on it.  Then, I go into iTunes 12.3.3.17 on my Mac running Yosemite, and I can't get further. iTunes recognizes at some level that there's an iPod plugged into it, because it says the iPod software update server could not be contacted and "more information" shows error 1478.  It knows there's an iPod plugged into the USB.  But otherwise, it doesn't even show the device within iTunes.  So, I can't alt-click on "Check For Update" and select/install the Whited00r ipsw.  If I go back in with redsn0w, it shows it as being in "WTF Mode".  It was NOT in "WTF Mode" prior to running iTunes. 

I'm wondering if there's some issue with current iTunes?  Has anyone attempted to install Whited00r recently with reasonably-current MacOS/iTunes?

Offline iTechy21

• Bashing the shell
  • Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Well errr... Stuff :3
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
  • My Computer: Windows
Re: iTunes doesn't show iPod Touch 1g in DFU mode?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 02:23:43 PM »
Just got back to pfutzing with my old iPod Touch 1g again.  I restored it to the "latest" iOS 3.1.3.  I went into redsn0w, successfully got it into DFU Mode, and ran its jailbreak on it.  Then, I go into iTunes 12.3.3.17 on my Mac running Yosemite, and I can't get further. iTunes recognizes at some level that there's an iPod plugged into it, because it says the iPod software update server could not be contacted and "more information" shows error 1478.  It knows there's an iPod plugged into the USB.  But otherwise, it doesn't even show the device within iTunes.  So, I can't alt-click on "Check For Update" and select/install the Whited00r ipsw.  If I go back in with redsn0w, it shows it as being in "WTF Mode".  It was NOT in "WTF Mode" prior to running iTunes. 

I'm wondering if there's some issue with current iTunes?  Has anyone attempted to install Whited00r recently with reasonably-current MacOS/iTunes?
I had this issue with a newer version of iTunes and downgraded and that fixed this issue. However that was on a windows machine... I'm not really sure how to downgrade iTunes on a mac...
Follow me on twitter! | Subscribe to my YouTube Channel! | Follow my blog!
Please Read all the stickies if you're new. And follow the rules, please :)

Offline manymachines

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 01:05:36 AM »
I had this issue with a newer version of iTunes and downgraded and that fixed this issue. However that was on a windows machine... I'm not really sure how to downgrade iTunes on a mac...
What version of iTunes?  I get the same thing with iTunes 8.2.1 on WinXP (and iTunes 10.something, which was what was on the old beast initially).  There doesn't seem to be a way to just show the devices in iTunes in DFU mode without it barfing over the Internet connection.  Is there any way besides iTunes to load the Whited00r ipsw??  Has anyone gotten this to work recently??

Offline iTechy21

• Bashing the shell
  • Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Well errr... Stuff :3
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
  • My Computer: Windows
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 06:43:13 PM »
What version of iTunes?  I get the same thing with iTunes 8.2.1 on WinXP (and iTunes 10.something, which was what was on the old beast initially).  There doesn't seem to be a way to just show the devices in iTunes in DFU mode without it barfing over the Internet connection.  Is there any way besides iTunes to load the Whited00r ipsw??  Has anyone gotten this to work recently??
Itunes is trying to prevent DFU mode now by forcing WTF mode from what I can tell. I used iTunes 10 and it was fine with 0 issues... its just I would have no idea on how to downgrade iTunes on a mac...
Follow me on twitter! | Subscribe to my YouTube Channel! | Follow my blog!
Please Read all the stickies if you're new. And follow the rules, please :)

Offline manymachines

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 12:37:37 AM »
I don't care if I need to use iTunes on Windows to do this, but having seen the same behavior with iTunes 8 and iTunes 10, I'm skeptical.

My sense is that, in talking with the network, Apple is returning something that causes iTunes to not get to the prompt I need to be at.  I'd love to find some way to bypass iTunes needing to talk with Apple's network, since fundamentally I just want to get to that point where I can select a local ipsw to load. 

I'm wondering if this works for anyone at all now.  The recent poster at:

http://www.whited00r.com/forum/index.php/topic,12974.0.html

is reporting what sounds like the same issue.