Author Topic: iCloud Drive Alternative? Transfer Any File Remotely To iPod/iPhone  (Read 427 times)

Offline Haksbelik

• More of your everyday whited00r user...
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPod Touch 2G
  • My Computer: Windows
Hi.  Haksbelik here again with a wonderful tip I just happened to come across while browsing for apps. This is not exactly related to the Whited00r project and it's specific operations, but this place just happens to be a good spot to instruct people with older devices that don't have icloud. The aim of this is not to have it function *exactly* like icloud, but just to be a convenient way to transfer files onto their iPod.

There is this app called "mbDrive Free" on the Appstore, and it "transforms your iPhone or iPod Touch into a wireless flash disk". Personally, I think it's really neat, as I kind of have a thing with Apple blocking off the file system and such. Plus, it's wireless and you can save it as a mapped network drive (kudos to Chris M. for showing me how to do this) and then reconnect super fast whenever you need too. The only downside I have to this app is that it limits your available space to 64mb in the free version. I'll see if I can find another app similar to this that's still compatible for Whited00r users. Updates on that later.

Soo... INSTRUCTIONS *TAKE TWO*!

WINDOWS USERS:

1. Download "mbDrive Free" from the Apple app store and install.

2.  Open App and note the address at the bottom. Should look like this:  http://112.345.678.9:8080  (<-- Don't click that.)

3. Go to Computer and in the top menu click "Map Network Drive". Choose the drive letter, and type the address in the box. Click Finish.

MAC USERS:

1. Download "mbDrive Free" from the Apple app store and install.

2.  Open App and note the address at the bottom. Should look like this:  http://112.345.678.9:8080  (<--- Don't click that.)

3.  Open Finder and select "Connect to Server..."

4. Type the address in the Server Address box and click Connect.

OK. I would just like to say sorry to all the Linux users who I could not figure out how to map a network drive for. I have failed you :(

Anyway, I am going to try to find another app like this that maybe doesn't limit space like this one does. But this one's pretty good too. Oh well...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 05:55:09 PM by Haksbelik »
Peace.  Haksbelik :D

Offline Chris M.

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
Re: iCloud Drive Alternative? Transfer Any File Remotely To iPod/iPhone
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 08:00:03 AM »
Hello! And thank you for sharing this app :) Very useful

Offline Haksbelik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 02:18:12 PM »
Hello! And thank you for sharing this app :) Very useful

Thanks. Sorry for the instructions delay (I had to go to bed). Basically, you use WinSCP to connect remotely to the app (like the VLC Remote App. SO COOL! I use TinyCore Linux on one of my laptops, and VLC tops everything!). Anybody who has ever SSH'ed into their iDevice should know what to do here.

Offline Chris M.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 04:26:18 PM »
Thanks. Sorry for the instructions delay (I had to go to bed). Basically, you use WinSCP to connect remotely to the app (like the VLC Remote App. SO COOL! I use TinyCore Linux on one of my laptops, and VLC tops everything!). Anybody who has ever SSH'ed into their iDevice should know what to do here.
You can do this without WinSCP :)

Offline Haksbelik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 05:28:48 PM »
Oh OK! So I can connect by using "Map Network Drive". Well that makes things simpler O_o.  I'll modify my directions accordingly. Thanks a lot!

-- Thinking to myself btw, "Why did I not see that..."
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 05:31:47 PM by Haksbelik »

Offline Chris M.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 05:58:59 PM »
Oh OK! So I can connect by using "Map Network Drive". Well that makes things simpler O_o.  I'll modify my directions accordingly. Thanks a lot!

-- Thinking to myself btw, "Why did I not see that..."
Hehe, no problem  that's in the help section of the app

Offline Haksbelik

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 06:22:45 PM »
For some reason, I did see it in the help, but I guess I just didn't understand it, or it just didn't click or something. Then I found WinSCP and that worked (kind of) so I made a tutorial. But thank you so much anyway! If you hadn't posted it, I never would have seen it.

P.S. Just got upgraded from "Junior Member" to "Member"   8) 8) 8)