Author Topic: Mobilemail & 3G memory  (Read 2169 times)

Offline ablahblah

• View Profile
Mobilemail & 3G memory
« on: July 25, 2011, 04:58:14 PM »
First I'd like to say hello to all the devs & contributors to Whited00r...

Hello & thank to all involved for creating such awesome firmware! I'm absolutely blown away at the functionality of my 3G with Whited00r!

I apologize in advance if what I'm about to write has been discussed already...I'm kind of in a rush the moment so I didn't have a chance to properly search the forums...& if this info is in the wrong place I apologize...I do think (in my opinion) this would be a good feature to include in the Configurator Script.

I don't use Mobilemail, I'm sure a lot of Whited00r users do, but I don't...& was getting frustrated with the mail app running in the background when I opened my Contacts or accidently clicked on an email link in Safari.

Today I discovered an easy way to disable Mobilemail from opening in the background...& the savings in RAM & improved speed when using Contacts or Safari was quite noticable! Usually my RAM lingers around 55-60MB with nothing running. With Safari open the RAM drops quickly to between 25-35MB with one or two pages open. With Mobilemail prevented from running in the background my RAM in Safari now sits at around 40MB!

To achieve this do the following:

-SSH (or whatever you prefer) into your Iphone

-Find & enter the Mobilemail.app folder. (In Applications)

-In the folder download the Info.plist file (make a backup just in case!)

-Open Info.plist & locate the phrase <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key> and below it there should be a line that says <string>com.apple.mobilemail</string>

-Edit the <string>com.apple.mobilemail</string>...Replace 'mobilemail' with 'mobilemailx' or whatever you choose & upload the new plist to the Mobilemail.app folder, overwriting the old one.

-Rename Mobilemail.app to match the new <string>com.apple.mobilemail</string>...In my case the folder is now called Mobilemailx.app & the Info.plist string is <string>com.apple.mobilemailx</string>

-Respring your Iphone!

Restore Mail, Contacts, Calendars in Settings

You will notice, after you respring your Iphone, that the Mail, Contacts, Calendars option in Settings has disappeared....To restore the Mail, Contacts, Calendars in Settings:

-SSH back in to your filesystem

-Head to Applications -> Preferences.app

-In Preferences.app there is a file called Settings-iphone.plist...Download this file to your computer.

-Open Settings-iphone.plist & locate <string>com.apple.mobilemail</string>

-Rename <string>com.apple.mobilemail</string> to match the previously edited string in Mobilemail.app...In my case, this string is now <string>com.apple.mobilemailx</string>

-Upload the edited Settings-iphone.plist back to Preferences.app (again...make sure you make a backup!)

-Respring & Mail, Contacts, Calendars is back in Settings!

Note that Springboard now calls the Mail app whatever you chose to call it...you can get it back to just 'Mail' but I haven't done that yet...(& to be honest, if you're not using the Mail app who cares what it's called, I put all the apple apps that I never use on one screen far away from everything else!)

I couldn't believe the speed improvement & extra RAM from this little mod!

I hope my instructions aren't too confusing...as I said I'm kind of in a rush today but wanted to share this info with the Whited00r community!

Cheers,

ablahblah
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 01:27:19 PM by ablahblah »

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Linux
Re: Mobilemail & 3G memory
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 05:04:33 PM »
Sweet!   I had encountered a problem of this crashing my mail app though when I did this a couple months ago  (I was working on a mail quitter update, never did finish b/c of these problems).   Do you get this problem?   Also, in the settings app, can you change your accounts/contacts stuff?   I would imagine apple would no longer register it is there, and not allow you to change the settings.

And as the mail is linked to the contacts, did it crash your contacts, or mess up your phone contacts in the phone app?

Just a couple of things there ;)

Aside from that, nice job!

Offline ablahblah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 05:31:02 PM »
I forgot to mention....I'm running 4.4.1 with all the bells & whistles enabled....

So far Contacts hasn't crashed...& the Mail app still seems functional if I click on it. But like I said I never use Mobilemail....haven't fiddled around too much yet. I'll let you all know if this mod is breaking functionality...

I'm writing this on the Iphone at the moment....RAM has dropped from 40MB to 24MB but I expected that. Still better than the usual 10-15MB i've come to expect from Safari! 

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 06:52:13 PM »
What about the settings app?   The Mail/Contacts/Calendar

Offline ablahblah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 03:11:21 PM »
Mail/Contacts/Calendar is gone from Settings app. I suppose that is a problem!

Not sure how to remedy that issue. A bit more fiddling, maybe with the Info.plist in Settings.app?

Everything else seems to work, I can add new Contacts, open the Mail app (though i have no mail account set up to test further...) & add Calendar events. I am still able to log in to the App store, & the download worked. I haven't experienced a crash yet...

If I add an email address to one of my Contacts, & try to click on it, nothing happens. But I can still copy the address from said Contact & paste it in Safari...

More testing is definitely required! I'd say to Whited00r users who would like to use this mod, set up Mail in Settings before you edit the Info.plist.

Offline ablahblah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 03:58:26 PM »
I think I got it working....updated my first post!

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 06:37:23 PM »
Cool, can you still add accounts and such?

Offline ablahblah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 02:55:48 PM »
Yep! I was able to add a Gmail account & log in!

I used the phone all day yesterday, testing this & that. No crashes!

The only thing I can see that's changed is Mail doesn't open in the background anymore..

If anyone finds anything funky, or something crashing let me know....I generally use the phone as a phone only + lots of texting. Don't really have many 3rd party apps installed.