Author Topic: RealBackup  (Read 77135 times)

Offline woodfix

• Moving to Whited00r
    • View Profile
Re: RealBackup
« Reply #195 on: May 14, 2012, 05:22:39 AM »
I tried with Camera Roll preference 'Off'. The backup completes quickly and exits to main screen. There is no completion notification message. After that my location contains:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root mobile 299K May 14 14:56 Recordings.tar.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root mobile 634K May 14 14:56 personaldata.tar.gz

Is that a successful backup?

I also tried again with Camera Roll 'On'. I'm monitoring the creation of DCIM.tar (with SSH). Creation is very slow. I have just under 700MB of photos - after 3 hours DCIM.tar has reached only 192MB.

I'd like to suggest a new version using zero compression for the photos and any archive which will contain them. Wrap only. There is little to be gained by compressing JPG's. :)

I've attached the logs. There is very little in them. Do they overwrite each run? Hopefully they are no longer needed if the mysteries are mostly solved.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 06:02:35 AM by woodfix »

Offline realblack7

• Omniscient and stuff...
  • SuperHero Member
  • Human Instrumentality
    • View Profile
    • realblack7's Repo
  • Device: iPod Touch 1G
  • My Computer: Windows
« Reply #196 on: May 14, 2012, 05:57:07 AM »
well. photos are uncompressed. as you see it is saved as dcim.tar not dcim.tar.gz

so you just backed up personal data and recordings. every category has its own tarball
Creator of RealBackup: Last Updated Post | Creator of iCloud for WD Info Page | iPhone 3GS
My Repo: cydia.realblack7.bplaced.net

Offline woodfix

• Moving to Whited00r
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 14, 2012, 06:27:09 AM »
well. photos are uncompressed. as you see it is saved as dcim.tar not dcim.tar.gz

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm new to 'nix. It just surprised me that it took so long for a .tar wrap.

Any way of speeding up or optimizing that process? At present it is looking like (guestimate) six hours or so, which just seems a bit excessive.

so you just backed up personal data and recordings.

Yes, that's correct. I'd like to get the photos if possible as well, but I'm not sure I can leave the phone on the desk for the required amount of time.

Would it be simple for me to perform the entire process (or maybe just the photos) manually with scp directory copies - or does Realbackup do a lot of db attach/detach type stuff to make it all work?

:D

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 06:50:35 AM by woodfix »

Offline woodfix

• Moving to Whited00r
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 14, 2012, 08:58:18 AM »
and you are going from 4.2.1 to 3.1.3 right?

Yes, that is correct. I'm planning to take my data off 4.2.1 iOS, put Whited00r on the same phone, and then restore the data to Whited00r 3.1.3 on the same phone.

from 3.1.3 it is possible to just restore and everythings fine. i did not try the other way around

Are you saying the path of backup on 4.2.1 (iOS) and then a restore to 3.1.3 (Whited00r) is not tested and therefore it might not work?

Sorry for the question, I just need to make sure I understand what I'm in for here. ;D

Offline realblack7

• SuperHero Member
  • Human Instrumentality
    • View Profile
    • realblack7's Repo
« Reply #199 on: May 14, 2012, 06:19:41 PM »
yup thats it. ios4 may read ios3, but it is not clear if ios3 is able to understand ios4 files. though if i remember right there were obly small differences, which one could solve by renaming.
the most changes were in ios4 and ios5.
Creator of RealBackup: Last Updated Post | Creator of iCloud for WD Info Page | iPhone 3GS

Offline woodfix

• Moving to Whited00r
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 14, 2012, 10:37:22 PM »
Thanks for that. I'll compare the db structure of each file from 4 to 3 before I run the restore. I might also restrict the restore to - sms history, contacts and perhaps photos.

If I need to modify a database file before the restore - can I just manually update and replace that file in the realbackup archive? Will the restore process be happy to go ahead after an update to the archive?

Meanwhile, still doing the backup, my DCIM.tar has reached 475MB after 19.5 hours. Hopefully that completes before I desperately need to use the device lol.  :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 10:39:58 PM by woodfix »

Offline woodfix

• Moving to Whited00r
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 15, 2012, 01:52:19 AM »
Unfortunately it's only added 8MB to DCIM.tar in the last hour, so it looks like it is grinding to a halt.

I'm thinking i might need to do something to increase the RAM available and try again.

Offline woodfix

• Moving to Whited00r
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 15, 2012, 02:00:20 AM »
Every time I start the phone - realbackup asks me if I want to start the backup?

Is there a way to turn off this option?
Also, how does it do this?

thanks

Offline PrisoneR

• Risk of Hatred
  • SuperHero Member
  • ^ thats me -_-
    • View Profile
    • whited00r
  • Device: Does Not Own iDevice ARMv6
« Reply #203 on: May 15, 2012, 03:13:39 AM »
i think that happens when you forcefully close the realbackup when it in the process of doing the backup....
had the same problem....since it was just released at that time and realblack7 said he would release a tutorial i uninstalled.....
the previous version works the best and didnt cause a problem :/

Offline woodfix

• Moving to Whited00r
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 15, 2012, 03:54:11 AM »
Another interesting thing - after exiting RealBackup DCIM.tar is still growing. I don't have multitasking enabled. Is this a bug or expected behavior?

Offline PrisoneR

• Risk of Hatred
  • SuperHero Member
  • ^ thats me -_-
    • View Profile
    • whited00r
  • Device: Does Not Own iDevice ARMv6
« Reply #205 on: May 15, 2012, 04:01:51 AM »
it might still be in the background o.O.... completing the task you set to it....

Offline realblack7

• SuperHero Member
  • Human Instrumentality
    • View Profile
    • realblack7's Repo
« Reply #206 on: May 15, 2012, 05:57:00 AM »
since 'quitted' the backup it is adding know nonesense data/the same data over and over.

to make it stop do this:
go to /User/Library/Preferences and delete com.realblack7.realbackup.plist
then do a hard reset and everything should be back to normal

Offline woodfix

• Moving to Whited00r
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 15, 2012, 06:34:43 AM »
I deleted the file and hard reset afterwards. Now I have a new problem - realbackup does not start. I am returned instantly to the home screen.

Reinstall RB?

Offline realblack7

• SuperHero Member
  • Human Instrumentality
    • View Profile
    • realblack7's Repo
« Reply #208 on: May 15, 2012, 08:04:06 AM »
try a normal reboot. maybe launchctl is not loaded correctly.
 and if this is not working, really reinstall realbackup. are you sure you deleted the correct file?^^

Offline woodfix

• Moving to Whited00r
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 15, 2012, 09:11:12 AM »
I still have the terminal history. Definitely deleted the specified file.

My-iPhone:/User/Library/Preferences root# rm com.realblack7.realbackup.plist

No change after a normal restart. I reinstalled RB.

Looking at top during operation. Each JPEG is currently taking 5.50 seconds of CPU time to go into the archive. In realtime that's about 40 seconds. My guess is this increases as the archive grows in size. It is currently 128MB. When it was at 67MB it was under 2 seconds CPU time and 11 seconds realtime.

I think I'm going to try running my own tar and integrate that with the RB archive package. Or something like that. Any suggestions appreciated..

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 11:06:53 AM by woodfix »