Author Topic: Whited00r 5 based on iOS 3 or 4?  (Read 15648 times)

Offline timbiscuits

• whited00r.com
    • View Profile
Whited00r 5 based on iOS 3 or 4?
« on: September 05, 2011, 10:15:05 AM »
I fully understand where people come from when they say that Whited00r 5 should be iPhone OS 3 based, but who are we kidding?  Everyone knows that a copy can never really be as good as the original - and this IS (I'm sorry) the case with Whited00r 4 - It is a VERY good attempt at copying the looks and features of the newer software.  I understand where people come from - I myself have an iPod Touch 2G and am very happy with it, - but making iOS 5 out of iPhone OS 3 to be honest is not going to work well.  There are only really 2 reasons why it would be based off iPhone OS 3-

1.  Support for older devices - seriously, for the guys who still have a 1st generation iPod Touch or iPhone, it's probably time to move on.  At the moment in Australia, you can pick up a 2nd generation iPod Touch for around $50 so if you really want the next version of Whited00r then maybe you'd consider it worth that money.

2. Speed.  Many tests showed that Whited00r 4 outperformed the real thing on older devices, but to get proper features of iOS 5 onto a software version made 3 years before will require so many 'mobile substrate' daemons that the speed we once loved will be gone anyway.

Please don't get angry, this is just an opinion, but to all those people out there rocking a iPT2g or an iPhone 3G - ROCK ON!!! and leave your vote in this poll

Thanks.

Offline lama_matt

• View Profile
Re: Whited00r 5 based on iOS 3 or 4?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 06:35:39 PM »
I fully support you. Building iOS 5 on iOS 3 would be a ridiculous idea because when iOS 5 comes out, 3 will be so outdated and most of the great tweaks/mods won't work on it. Speed is the key, but you need to sacrifice some if you want to use the "make-up".

Offline banana

• Banana
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Banana
    • View Profile
    • FinkMac's Blog!
  • Device: iPod Touch 1G
  • My Computer: Mac
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 06:57:02 PM »
I fully support you. Building iOS 5 on iOS 3 would be a ridiculous idea because when iOS 5 comes out, 3 will be so outdated and most of the great tweaks/mods won't work on it. Speed is the key, but you need to sacrifice some if you want to use the "make-up".

Too bad for you that it's being based on iOS 3 :P
Banana

Offline lama_matt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 07:07:06 PM »
You cannot even use the latest MobileNotifier on iOS 3... I think that building it on iOS 3 is a bit dumb.

Offline banana

• Banana
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Banana
    • View Profile
    • FinkMac's Blog!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 07:19:14 PM »
Well, tell that to Matt, and everone that has been working on it for like the past 3 months…
Banana

Offline RagingNinja

• SuperHero Member
  • Ninja
    • View Profile
    • Whited00r
  • Device: iPhone 2G
  • My Computer: Windows
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 07:24:43 PM »
That is a very unfair outlook on things. This is what the majority of Whited00r users ask for...

If we were to say that about making iOS 4 like features from iOS 3.x we would never have gotten folders, multitasking and wallpaper. (At least not how they are today)

Some of these features are great, even though they do slow down the firmware. Whited00r actually isn't about features. Its speed first, features second. (Or third depending on how you look at it).

Don't diss on someone's work.

iPhone 2G, 8GB - iPhone 4S, 16GB, iOS v6.1
Multi-Tasking v1.0.3 - Folders v1.2.1 - iOS 3 Wallpaper 1.0.2(1)
WD Recommended/Compatible Tweaks, Themes, etc. | My Repo: cydia.ragingninja.bplaced.net

Offline lama_matt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 07:33:32 PM »
I know. I've been helping Soltmeal with optimizing the Reminders app in the early alpha stages. I had an iPhone 3G before and used this forum 24/7. I must say that iOS 3 annoyed me though. You can't install some apps and it's even worse with the jailbreak tweaks. If they make it great, I won't have any complaints. I just think that sooner or later, whited00r will have to be iOS 4 based.

Update: RagingNinja, I'm not saying that the work is bad. If you've started on iOS 3, please, continue. Speed is key to me too, but the discussion is about the iOS 5 features and I'm not so sure if they'll work good enough on the iOS 3. You must admit that some key elements in the jailbreak tweaks are iOS 4 and when iOS 5 will come out, there will be even more elements that aren't gonna be available on 3. Just saying.

I love what you guys have done with the WD firmware up until now. I've been a whited00r user for 3 months and it was heaven.

The key thing that I want to say is that maybe, in the future, you should take a step further by making whited00r fully iOS 4 based.

Offline banana

• Banana
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Banana
    • View Profile
    • FinkMac's Blog!
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 07:34:38 PM »
That is a very unfair outlook on things. This is what the majority of Whited00r users ask for...

If we were to say that about making iOS 4 like features from iOS 3.x we would never have gotten folders, multitasking and wallpaper. (At least not how they are today)

Some of these features are great, even though they do slow down the firmware. Whited00r actually isn't about features. Its speed first, features second. (Or third depending on how you look at it).

Is this directed at me or llama?
Banana

Offline lama_matt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 07:36:10 PM »

Is this directed at me or llama?

At me.

Offline banana

• Banana
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Banana
    • View Profile
    • FinkMac's Blog!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 07:37:59 PM »
In that case, I totally agree with Mr. Ninja.
Banana

Offline RagingNinja

• SuperHero Member
  • Ninja
    • View Profile
    • Whited00r
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 07:46:03 PM »
In that case, I totally agree with Mr. Ninja.

It was directed at anyone who complains about the project.

Unfortunately there is nothing we can do to get iOS 4.x on the older iDevices. So were stuck with iOS 3.x
WD Recommended/Compatible Tweaks, Themes, etc. | My Repo: cydia.ragingninja.bplaced.net

Offline applepie

• Redd00r Developer
  • Developer
  • SuperHero Member
  • Dormant Beast
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPod Touch 2G
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 09:57:30 PM »
If all the base tweaks in WD5 work on ios4, we can make it for both ios3 and ios4. I'm a bit concerned that no apps will support ios3 or 4 when ios5 is released..

Offline RagingNinja

• SuperHero Member
  • Ninja
    • View Profile
    • Whited00r
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 10:25:22 PM »
If all the base tweaks in WD5 work on ios4, we can make it for both ios3 and ios4. I'm a bit concerned that no apps will support ios3 or 4 when ios5 is released..

That is why it is important for us to BACKUP our working IPA's now. Because if we don't.... we won't be able to find the working IPA's online later. (For example... I can't find the eBay app v2.0.1 which was the latest working iOS 3.x version).

Offline applepie

• Redd00r Developer
  • Developer
  • SuperHero Member
  • Dormant Beast
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPod Touch 2G
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 11:43:26 PM »
We could add a ipa section to the media section, especially for old ipas that now aren't ios3 compatable

Offline banana

• Banana
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Banana
    • View Profile
    • FinkMac's Blog!
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 12:02:12 AM »
We could add a ipa section to the media section, especially for old ipas that now aren't ios3 compatable

*cough cough* Installous *cough cough*
Banana