Author Topic: What would I need to learn?  (Read 4192 times)

Offline Its_JoKer

• whited00r.com
    • View Profile
What would I need to learn?
« on: September 17, 2011, 12:50:38 AM »
What would I need to learn/know in order to start making iOS tweaks and stuff? I'm on Windows 7 but I can download and install Linux if I need that. I'm sort of interested in making iOS tweaks but I have absolutely no idea where to start. I figured this would be a good place to ask for obvious reasons. If you guys can direct me to some good information, tutorials, or really anything I'd appreciate it very much. I've not decided if I do want to make tweaks so I figured once I know I can make a decision. Much thanks :D
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 01:45:16 AM by Its_JoKer »

Offline banana

• Banana
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Banana
    • View Profile
    • FinkMac's Blog!
  • Device: iPod Touch 1G
  • My Computer: Mac
Re: What would I need to learn?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 01:15:05 AM »
Seriously, its WAY easier to buy a Mac and start from there… why? iOS is based on Mac OS X…
Mac apps are made with Xcode, as well as iOS apps… Mac OS X comes with and Objective-C toolkit… etc…

You can still develop with Windows… but it will be quite hard…
BTW, its stupid to use a beta OS as your main OS… it has been said 1000's of times…
Banana

Offline Its_JoKer

• whited00r.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 01:44:53 AM »
oops made a typo, I'm on Windows 7 lol not 8. Also is there anything that can be done in L:inux like with Ubuntu? Also I've heard of something called Theos, what is that? Is there anything else that can be used besides Xcode because I'd have to save my money for years in order to afford a Mac.

Offline Its_JoKer

• whited00r.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 02:08:34 AM »
I'm not really looking for Xcode, I want something free that I can use in Windows. Would Objective C be a good thing to work with? Also is shell hard? What all can that do? Someone told me to learn Objective C then get Cycript or Cyscript, don't remember the exact name, to make tweaks.

Offline RagingNinja

• SuperHero Member
  • Ninja
    • View Profile
    • Whited00r
  • Device: iPhone 2G
  • My Computer: Windows
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 02:30:32 AM »
I'm not really looking for Xcode, I want something free that I can use in Windows. Would Objective C be a good thing to work with? Also is shell hard? What all can that do? Someone told me to learn Objective C then get Cycript or Cyscript, don't remember the exact name, to make tweaks.

Xcode is for iOS Apps, Mac Apps, etc.

Shell Script (Bourne Shell) isn't necessarily for apps. But you said you want to make Tweaks? You can make many different tweaks and many tweaks HAVE been made using Bourne Shell. You just have to do your research. (FYI: Its easier to learn from a library book and not online)
iPhone 2G, 8GB - iPhone 4S, 16GB, iOS v6.1
Multi-Tasking v1.0.3 - Folders v1.2.1 - iOS 3 Wallpaper 1.0.2(1)
WD Recommended/Compatible Tweaks, Themes, etc. | My Repo: cydia.ragingninja.bplaced.net

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Linux
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 02:48:02 AM »
It is a pain to get a compiler working on windows/linux.  (more so on windows, b/c of cygwin, the shell emulator).

Even then, you need lots of knowledge of obj-c.   I got a compiler partially working on my iPhone once, theos never worked for me, it had some error about a missing library and google had no answers.

Shell can be done to make very basic apps.  I use that in everything I make.  There are tutorials in the homebrew section.

Offline banana

• Banana
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Banana
    • View Profile
    • FinkMac's Blog!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 03:13:29 AM »
If you wanna make tweaks, a PPC Mac will work fine… just make sure you get a 1 ghz G4 or better…
Banana

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 03:15:48 AM »
If you wanna make tweaks, a PPC Mac will work fine… just make sure you get a 1 ghz G4 or better…

what is PPC?   

Offline banana

• Banana
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Banana
    • View Profile
    • FinkMac's Blog!
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 03:34:47 AM »

what is PPC?
PowerPC (PPC) was a processor architecture designed by Apple, Motorola, and IBM as a Competitor to x86…
The processors are RISC (reduced instruction set computing) CPUs… the first one was the 601, Followed by the 603, 603e, 604, 604e, 604e, G3 (750), G4 (I forget the rest of the numbers), and G5… in 2006 Apple switched to Intel.
The GameCube, Wii, XBOX 360, and the PlayStation 3 all use PPC processors…
Banana

Offline Sniper&Assaulter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 03:53:55 AM »
I have a PowerBook G4 with PPC... but I screwed up the system... Furthermore, I didn't have a PPC version Tiger repair disc since the laptop is my relative give me one... My frend only got a intel based Tiger...

Offline banana

• Banana
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Banana
    • View Profile
    • FinkMac's Blog!
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 04:14:34 AM »
I have a PowerBook G4 with PPC... but I screwed up the system... Furthermore, I didn't have a PPC version Tiger repair disc since the laptop is my relative give me one... My frend only got a intel based Tiger...

I can help you… PM me…
Banana

Offline RagingNinja

• SuperHero Member
  • Ninja
    • View Profile
    • Whited00r
  • Device: iPhone 2G
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 04:39:42 AM »
It is a pain to get a compiler working on windows/linux.  (more so on windows, b/c of cygwin, the shell emulator).

Even then, you need lots of knowledge of obj-c.   I got a compiler partially working on my iPhone once, theos never worked for me, it had some error about a missing library and google had no answers.

Shell can be done to make very basic apps.  I use that in everything I make.  There are tutorials in the homebrew section.

Wait, what exactly do you use the compiler for?

In the Ubuntu Text Editor I just set the line coding (OR whatever it was called) to Linux/Ubuntu and not Windows MSDOS or whatever it was.
iPhone 2G, 8GB - iPhone 4S, 16GB, iOS v6.1
Multi-Tasking v1.0.3 - Folders v1.2.1 - iOS 3 Wallpaper 1.0.2(1)
WD Recommended/Compatible Tweaks, Themes, etc. | My Repo: cydia.ragingninja.bplaced.net

Offline Its_JoKer

• whited00r.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 02:47:39 PM »
ok thanks dude, I'll check out getting an older Mac, that sounds like a good start, plus I've always wanted a Mac, even if it would be an older one. Once one a Mac, would shell be sufficient or would I be better off going with objective c or xcode?

Offline banana

• Banana
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Banana
    • View Profile
    • FinkMac's Blog!
What would I need to learn?
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 08:37:29 PM »
ok thanks dude, I'll check out getting an older Mac, that sounds like a good start, plus I've always wanted a Mac, even if it would be an older one. Once one a Mac, would shell be sufficient or would I be better off going with objective c or xcode?
Xcode does obejective-c and shell coding…
Banana

Offline Its_JoKer

• whited00r.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 10:02:43 PM »
Xcode does obejective-c and shell coding…
oh lol I didn't know that....but I guess I do now. I may get an older Mac, just gotta find one in my price range. Would a 12inch PowerBook g4 be good? I've seen some on eBay with CPUs from 1.33Ghz up to like 1.42Ghz both with 512MB RAM (I assume that could be upgraded like on any other computer). I'd rather get a laptop cause don't really have any space to put a desktop and I've have to buy a monitor. Those PowerBooks are kinda small with only a 12inch screen though, there were some 14inch models but they were all broken. The 12inch ones were selling at $140 up to like $160. Which is right in my price range.