Author Topic: Stop SOPA  (Read 1801 times)

Offline applepie

• Redd00r Developer
  • Developer
  • SuperHero Member
  • Dormant Beast
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPod Touch 2G
  • My Computer: Mac
Stop SOPA
« on: January 16, 2012, 02:45:31 AM »
(I do not intent this to be spam. I think this is relevant to whited00r, technology, and the internet)
STOP SOPA!
What is SOPA?
SOPA is a law congress is about to pass which will allow internet censorship. It stands for Stop Online Piracy Act. The purpose of it is to stop piracy and copyright infringement. It will allow the blocking of any internet website just for containing copyrighted content. Entire sites could be shut down just because they contain an copyrighted pictures or links. This doesn't even have to be posted by the website--websites could be shut down just because a user or commenter posted an offending link.

The website could then be blocked to US visitors, be blocked from search engines, and have there paypal, ads, and other services shut down. Sites you visit daily could be blocked, and your email, facebook, twitter and more could be censored. Worse, it doesn't even stop pirates. People can still connect to the site using the server ip instead of the domain name. There is also a provision that says any user can go to prison for 5 YEARS just because they post copyrighted content, such as a copyrighted photo.

What sites are at most risk? Any site where people express themselves or post content: we are talking Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc. Sopa will put small internet businesses at risk of being shut down. It will have a huge negative impact on the economy. Also, sopa was written with little imput from people who actually know how the internet works. Sopa will also cause many security flaws, leaving websites more vanurable.

You may ask: How can I help? One great website with lots of information and ways to help stop sopa is: http://americancensorship.org/ There is also a great article about it here: http://www.copyblogger.com/sopa/

STOP SOPA!

Offline PrisoneR

• Risk of Hatred
  • SuperHero Member
  • ^ thats me -_-
    • View Profile
    • whited00r
  • Device: Does Not Own iDevice ARMv6
  • My Computer: Windows
Re: Stop SOPA
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 02:56:06 AM »
finally a new voice from whited00r :D applepie
yes stop sopa!!! very serious matter

ps: i bet finkmac will love you
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 02:58:51 AM by PrisoneR »

Offline SpaceMan

• Who is SpaceMan?
  • Don't go chasing water falls.
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 2G
Re: Stop SOPA
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 03:19:46 AM »
STOP SOPA!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!
The name is Geek. SpaceManGeek. GOOGLE ME!!!!!!

STOP ACTA!!!!!