Author Topic: [Broken] Redd00r FAQ - iOS 4.1 & iOS 4.2.1 Speed Up & Modding  (Read 43543 times)

Offline Digitalfox

• Catch the fox, if you can...
    • View Profile
PierreP moderator note 2013-07-31:
Redd00r is really buggy and old and does NOT work anymore. We recommend waiting for an update that will be announced after the next Whited00r update. Sorry, we cannot give a release date yet so please do not ask.

Meanwhile, you can try bcooperizcool's Archetype -- Custom firmware package for every iOS

Original post edited by PierreP:

Since so many questions are asked about the Redd00r custom features, speed up & modding all the time, I thought it would be nice to have a F.A.Q. to point people out and avoid duplicating questions.

If you are looking for the speedy low RAM usage iOS 3.1.3 based Whited00r 6, go here instead: WhiteD00r 6 - FAQ & Troubleshooting Note that WD 6 does not support the iPod Touch 2G MC or PC Model because it has an incompatible bootrom, for that one you need Redd00r!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zz2XgKkiGA[/youtube]

Q: How can you tell if your iPod Touch 2G is MC or PC model or not?

A: To tell if your iPod touch 2G is a MC model, go to > Settings > General > About and scroll down till you see 'Model'. if the code begins with the letters 'MC' then you have a MC model. iPod Touch 2G PC model which is also a MC model but was Personalized with an engraving on the back cover.

Q: So what devices does Redd00r supports?

A: Redd00r supports iPhone 3G & iPod 2G, running iOS 4.1 or iOS 4.2.1 Jaibroken. See the images below.

Q: What is the difference between Redd00r and Whited00r?

A: The Whited00r custom iOS firmware is based on a iOS 3.1.3 modified & tweaked and works in the the first iPhone 1G, the iPhone 3G, the first iPod Touch 1G and the iPod Touch 2G except for the MC or PC models.

All are part of Apple's ARMv6 CPU family. Redd00r only works in more recent Firmware iOS 4.1 or 4.2.1 and only supports the devices iPhone 3G and the iPod Touch 2G (including MC & PC models) because those first generation Apple devices cannot run any iOS above 3.1.3. It is a CPU instruction sets limitation.

Why can't I install Apps that Requires iOS 4.3 or upgrade above iOS 4.2.1?

iOS 4.3 and above and apps that requires iOS 4.3 are using binaries CPU instructions sets for newer devices with armv7 CPU and only those have it:
ARMv7s = iPhone 5, iPad 4
ARMv7  = iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod 3G/4G/5G, iPad, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad Mini.

Devices with ARMv6 CPU and supported by whited00r:

iPod Touch 1st Gen (max iOS 3.1.3)
    iPod Touch 2nd Gen (max iOS 4.2.1)
    iPhone (max iOS 3.1.3)
    iPhone 3G (max iOS 4.2.1 but it's dog-slow, whited00r based on iOS 3.1.3 is much more fluid with plenty of free RAM to run apps)

Apple could easily require that app developers include iOS backward compatibility to be eligible to iTunes/App Store but they decided not to.  :-\   Apple makes the Xcode software that developers are using to create apps and removed support for ARMv6 binaries compatibility in their Xcode 4.5 version (see Mac Developer Library - Xcode Release Notes for technical details). Apparently they re-enabled ARMv6 binaries compatibility in the current Xcode 4.5.2 according to this.

Q: Where can I identify my iPhone or iPod device? Like it's generation?

A: Look at the photos (and the tips too!) in the whited00r Tutorial - Installation

Check here for the iPhone: List of iPhone Models - Wikipedia or here Identifying iPhone models - Apple Support

Check here for the iPod Touch: List of iPod models - Wikipedia or here Identifying iPod models - Apple Support

Q: Does Reddoor work in my iPhone (1st Generation) or my iPod (1st Generation)?

A: No, Redd00r only works on Firmware iOS 4.1 or iOS 4.2.1 Jaibroken. Those firmwares simply cannot run on the older devices iPhone 1G & iPod Touch 1G. Use the awesome Whited00r 6 instead which is based on iOS 3.1.3 and supports them beautifully.

Q: What are the requirements to install Redd00r on my device?

A: You need to have the firmware iOS 4.1 or iOS 4.2.1 on your device. You also need to have your iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G or iPod Touch 2G MC Model jailbroken and have Cydia installed on them.

Q: Is there a firmware available already made with Jailbreak and Cydia included that works with Redd00r?

A: Yes!  :) Soltmeal has released a prejailbroken iOS 4.1 firmware for the iPhone 3G that is jailbroken already & includes Cydia & several other features. You can download it from here: Redd00r iOS 4.1 Pre-Jailbroken Base Firmware for iPhone 3G

Q: Should I do a clean firmware installation (Restore and you press Shift in iTunes on Windows or ALT on Mac and navigate to the folder where you downloaded your firmware .ispw file) on my device before installing Redd00r?

A: It's not required, but recommended to avoid possible performance degradation on things already installed and unnecessary. See the [Tutorial] Backup Apps & Data BEFORE Upgrading iOS Firmware WD 6 3.1.3 4.1 4.2.1 before doing anything!

Q: How can I do a clean firmware installation on my device before installing Redd00r?

A: Download the correct iOS firmware, connect your device to iTunes and choose Restore: press Shift on Windows or ALT on Mac and navigate to the folder where you downloaded your firmware .ipsw file. If is zip or rar, you must uncompressed it to get the .ipsw file inside.

Q: Where can I download the original Apple/iTunes iOS firmware for my device?

A:
     iPhone 3G original version iOS 4.2.1:
    http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/061-9853.20101122.Vfgt5/iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw

iPhone 3G original version iOS 4.1:
    http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/061-7932.20100908.3fgt5/iPhone1,2_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw

iPod 2G original version iOS 4.2.1:
    http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/061-9855.20101122.Lrft6/iPod2,1_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw

iPod 2G original version iOS 4.1:
    http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/061-7937.20100908.ghj4f/iPod2,1_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw

Q: Is there a specific iPhone 3G Jailbreak required, like a specific version of Redsn0w?

A: No, just run the last version of Redsn0w available at http://blog.iphone-dev.org/tagged/redsn0w. If you are on Windows, make sure you run Redsn0w as an administrator.

Q: Where can I get instructions on installing Redd00r in my iPod 2G?

A: Check here: [BETA] Redd00r for iPod Touch 2g and iPhone 3g Warning it's still in Beta.

Q: Where can I get instructions on installing Redd00r in my iPhone 3G?

A: Same link as above.  ;)

Q: Is Redd00r from a performance point of view, better than Whited00r in my iPhone 3G or iPod 2G?

A: Probably not, iOS Firmware 3.1.3 much is faster by default than 4.1/4.2.1. As much as the ones developing Redd00r would like to reduce that difference, there will always be some performance degradation when compared with Whited00r.

Q: Why should I use Redd00r instead of Whited00r?

A: Apps that require iOS 4.1 or 4.2.1 will not work in Whitedd00r, but will work in Redd00r.

This said see here for thousands of free apps compatible with Whited00r 6 or any jailbroken iOS 3.1.3 firmware: [Tutorial] Whited00r 6 How-To Find iOS 3.1.3, iOS 4.1 & iOS 4.2.1 Compatible Apps - iTunes iOS Filter 3.x

Q: Can I use Whited00r's App Time Machine on Redd00r?

A: Sorry, it is not possible to install App Time Machine without installing Whited00r 6. If it would be accessible to all the general public, their server would be quickly overwhelmed and would crash promptly. :-\ See the FAQ - App Time Machine

« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 08:01:42 AM by PierreP »

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Linux
Re: F.A.Q (Frequently Asked Questions) over Redd00r!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 04:06:12 PM »
I'm going to sticky this, and then the mods can probably just edit it (to keep it up to date), unless you wouldn't like them to ;) (I will have them say what they edited though ;) )  Thank you :)

Offline Digitalfox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 04:08:52 PM »
I'm going to sticky this, and then the mods can probably just edit it (to keep it up to date), unless you wouldn't like them to ;) (I will have them say what they edited though ;) )  Thank you :)

Hey :)

Do whatever edits you think are necessary, I'm just trying to give a push on it :)

Offline Super_Hussain

• iPwned my iPhwn!!
    • View Profile
    • Bl4ck0ut
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Windows
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 09:48:34 PM »
Great thread! Helps a lot of people who are confused about something. Whoever reads this, DON'T POST UNTIL YOU READ THIS COMPLETELY!!! Too many stupid questions no offence.

Offline Soltmeal

• Developer
  • SuperHero Member
  • WDApps
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 2G
  • My Computer: Mac
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 02:50:26 AM »
The first 5 questions are the same exact thing! i might use this method!
Developer of WDReminders
Instagram [email protected]

Offline applepie

• Redd00r Developer
  • Developer
  • SuperHero Member
  • Dormant Beast
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPod Touch 2G
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 02:52:32 AM »
I edited it a bit..hope you are ok with the changes..

Offline Guardian

• Whited00r User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 03:37:47 AM »
Nice FAQ. I would not have asked my stupid question if this was here earlier :)
Oh, Does Redd0r work on my 1st gen iPhone? :)

Offline Digitalfox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 03:56:12 AM »
I edited it a bit..hope you are ok with the changes..

Please, do as you please :)

Offline applepie

• Redd00r Developer
  • Developer
  • SuperHero Member
  • Dormant Beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 04:13:13 AM »
Did you even read the topic? lol

Offline Digitalfox

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 08:35:11 AM »
Did you even read the topic? lol

I believe he is telling the question he made before reading the F.A.Q. ? ???

Offline Guardian

• Whited00r User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 07:06:53 PM »
LOL, you guys are burning the midnight oil too much.. :)
I was just asking the very first question on the FAQ on the FAQ post.. was just a joke while waiting for Redd00r to get taken down then put back up ;)
G

Offline iOSCrackandHack

• Helpin With D00rStore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 12:17:32 AM »
will there ever be a redd00r base firmware for ipt2g??

Offline applepie

• Redd00r Developer
  • Developer
  • SuperHero Member
  • Dormant Beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 05:18:04 AM »
thats up to matteo....

Offline juanbausa

• Whited00r User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 11:39:10 AM »
how do i uninstall redd00r?

Offline bloomaze

• YAY IM BACK:)
    • View Profile
  • Device: Does Not Own iDevice ARMv6
  • My Computer: Windows
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 11:42:37 AM »
how do i uninstall redd00r?

Uninstall the package.