Author Topic: Regenerate 0.4  (Read 43546 times)

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Linux
Regenerate 0.4
« on: July 12, 2012, 06:04:15 PM »
Updated 11-3-2012

Well, here it is. What I have spent years working on. This is pretty much the first app I ever made, and it was command line then (Wintersled).  Now, under a new name, I have recreated it from scratch, and hopefully worked out a lot of the issues with the previous one.

Description
Ever hated needing to use winterboard to have themes on your device, or going manually into every app to swap them out?
This program does that for you. It takes a normal winterboard theme, and applies it to your device by manually swapping out the files. This way, it isn't using a substrate at all (it's all coded in shell, even the GUI), and that means you won't get the lag or battery drain of winterboard :)
Yes, if you have a lot of stuff on your device, it will take quite a while for it to be applied, but it is worth it I think. Instead of slowing down your device after the theme is applied, it slows it down while the theme is applied, if that makes sense...

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

Ok, that's that out of the way. This is an beta. You know what that means, I hope...

This shouldn't screw up your icons, or device, but if it does, please don't get angry with me.
If you are going to use this, you had better be ready to do some stuff on your device for me if you run into problems. ;) Otherwise, I can't improve it. (well, it is a lot harder to.)

Requirements:
  • iOS 3.x-5.x
  • Wifi
  • Ch40s-Utilities 2.5.7 or higher (I would recommend updating so that the device resprings automatically)

Instructions
Install from my repo listed at the bottom of this post ;)
Wait a while as it installs (it needs to make a database for the apps, it is working, just wait. It could take up to 10 minutes.).
Now, place any themes you may have in /Library/Themes. Or you can install the winterboard faker if you like. (first, before doing that, because it should be a symlink...). Then you can just install themes from Cydia. If a theme has any special characters in it, remove them from the theme folder... this will cause Regenerate to have issues.
Open up the app, tap allow when it asks for root access (only need to do this once).
Now, simply select your theme, tap allow when it asks for root access (only need to do this once as well).
Wait for it to apply the theme, it will take a while too most of the time.
Then the device will respring, and tada, you have a themed device.

F.A.Q

Does this do UIImages?
-No, not as of yet. I have some plans and testing to do before I support that.
(actually, a brilliant @bensge found a solution to this :D yes, it is a substrate, but a lot lighter than winterboard from simple testing. More on this later on)

When will the final version be released, or any updates for that matter?
-When I have time and feel like it :P don't rush me ;) Remember, it took nearly 2 years to get to this point.

It's not showing my themes! All it says is "None" D:
Does it also say on the main page "Beta License: No :("? Either I shut down the beta and am allowing you to only remove a theme, or, you aren't connected to the internet.

It's not doing anything...
This isn't a problem with regenerate (well, I hope not), but rather a small bug with Ch40s-Launcher (which I will look into.) To fix this, simply close out of the app (and quit it out of multitasking) and the reopen it.

My html/widget whatever isn't showing up!
Don't worry, this is normal :P I don't think I can possibly support that without using a substrate. This only swaps out images.

Please note, there might be some major issues with using summerboard mode on anything higher than 3.x at the moment, due to some things I am still working to get around, but as there is a vast majority of themes available for the higher firmwares that uses the better method of making themes, I am still releasing it for now. Keep in mind that this is an alpha still :) So don't complain to me.

Change log:
Compatible with the latest Ch40s-Utilities -- should run smoother/less buggy
Cleaned up code, added license code, should be a lot better, and faster on the get go of running.
Now gives you the full version for now from my repo, but later versions will not.  (Just removes the customize menu ability pretty much, but it's buggy for now anyway :P )
Some other stuff I don't remember... :P

options menu
beta (and buggy) icons only mode (I might remove, as it slows down the process a lot, and just release an icons only regenerate for free later on)
toggle to update GUI
button to updated the GUI manually

Made it possible to theme different parts of your device using different themes. (Customize screen)
Toggle to enable/disable customize function
Made it possible to not use a main theme, and only use customize. (Defualt)

the theme I used is called "Black Light" (no, that's not the only theme you can apply ;) you can apply any theme pretty much

Please report any bugs in intelligible English please.  Also, I would love to hear if it works too :)

I'm going to keep my todo list to myself for now...

I cannot and will not be held responsible for any damage that may happen to your device, as you are the one willing to use this. I'm not making you, and I have stated the risks ;) and anyway, you can always restore.

Download
Always uninstall old version before installing new! until I work out everything in the database ;)
Repo:
http://bcooperizcool.indigo.dragon-dev.co.uk/waffles

WinterBoard faker (not sure if this works, but it should...):
http://www.mediafire.com/?fpcdr1y4cgj5uhq

Also, I rarely ask this, but if you could donate to show appreciation for this, that would be wonderful :)
http://bit.ly/h6D77k

Offline Super_Hussain

• iPwned my iPhwn!!
    • View Profile
    • Bl4ck0ut
  • My Computer: Windows
Re: Regenerate Alpha 1
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 08:05:03 PM »
I'm trying this out now. I hope it works... I will tell you my result soon...

Offline Super_Hussain

• iPwned my iPhwn!!
    • View Profile
    • Bl4ck0ut
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 08:14:45 PM »
The installer is stuck at "Writing new value for CFBundleDisplayName to /Applications/MobileSMS.app/Info.plist". I don't think it matters that much if I just closed it at that point. The image for Regenerate is just... Can I make you a new one? BTW it opens but I have no themes at the moment so I will download one and get back =D

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 08:17:07 PM »
Did you wait up to 10 minutes for it to complete? I said it is along install. Now you might need to run a command from terminal.  It builds a database the first time you install it.   Yes, I would love an image ;) but I want it to look kind of like the name sounds, like the definition ;) something regenerating.

Offline Super_Hussain

• iPwned my iPhwn!!
    • View Profile
    • Bl4ck0ut
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 08:21:35 PM »
Did you wait up to 10 minutes for it to complete? I said it is along install. Now you might need to run a command from terminal.  It builds a database the first time you install it.   Yes, I would love an image ;) but I want it to look kind of like the name sounds, like the definition ;) something regenerating.
Oh lol. Ok I will wait much longer for it to install. In the mean time I can make you something. It has to be 320x480 right?

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 08:24:05 PM »
Yup :) you can just run from terminal as root "/var/mobile/Regenerate get_stuff"

Offline Super_Hussain

• iPwned my iPhwn!!
    • View Profile
    • Bl4ck0ut
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 08:46:15 PM »
Still on the same line... Also i just made the enter screen. Tell me if you want me to change anything...

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 08:54:49 PM »
Whoa :O that's amazing :D thank you! :D
How long has it been on that line?   If you can, via a file explorer (on your computer) look in /var/mobile/Regenerate and see if "locations_checked" is growing in file size (it may take a few seconds, if it's looking at a new directory.

Offline Super_Hussain

• iPwned my iPhwn!!
    • View Profile
    • Bl4ck0ut
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 08:59:01 PM »
LOL! It JUST finished haha. Where can I put my theme into? You said /Library/Themes but there is no folder like that, what should I do?

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 09:02:10 PM »
in terminal, run this
"mkdir /var/stash/Themes
ln -s /var/stash/Themes /Library/Themes"

Then place them in /Library/Themes.  Make sure they don't have quote marks or anything in the name.

Yeah, I know it's a long install ;) especially if you have a lot of apps :/ but I can't really make it any faster :/

Offline Super_Hussain

• iPwned my iPhwn!!
    • View Profile
    • Bl4ck0ut
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 09:18:47 PM »
It doesn't ask me whether I want to install the theme. The theme shows up on the app, it just doesn't do anything. Also it never asked me for root access when I installed it or when I tap on the theme I want.

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 09:19:54 PM »
when you opened it did it?  it won't ask you if you want to install it. It will just run.  But if it isn't asking for root access, exit the app, quit it out of multitasking, and reopen it.

Also, if you have a lot of things that use Ch40s-Launcher, it will be slower to find the app.

Offline Super_Hussain

• iPwned my iPhwn!!
    • View Profile
    • Bl4ck0ut
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 09:20:44 PM »
I tried that like 6 times LOL. I just rebooted and I'm trying again. No luck :(

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 09:23:04 PM »
that's weird :( try selecting a different theme maybe?  does tapping @bcooperizcool do anything?

Offline Super_Hussain

• iPwned my iPhwn!!
    • View Profile
    • Bl4ck0ut
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 09:25:48 PM »
No it doesn't. No button I click on Ch40sUtils and Regenerate work. I will reinstall theme now.