Author Topic: Install 5.0 apps on iPhone 3G?  (Read 11307 times)

Offline iblakejames

• Website Developer
    • View Profile
    • iBlakeJames
Install 5.0 apps on iPhone 3G?
« on: November 25, 2012, 08:20:58 PM »
I have a iPhone 3G and I'm happy with redd00r, but there has to be a way to install the newer apps on it! I'm frustrated because I cannot find any app that will support iOS 4.2! I know you can edit the systemversion.plist in ifile and fake your firmware but that doesn't work because then when it try's to install it says "install app from iTunes on your computer" so that has to do with the app frameworks, is there any way to port the iOS 5 app frameworks to iOS 4 through ifile or something? There just has to be a way! Please help me out!
iBlakeJames

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Linux
Re: Install 5.0 apps on iPhone 3G?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 08:28:45 PM »
There is no way that we know of. Not saying it is impossible, but it is virtually impossible for us, save a genius.

Offline iblakejames

• Website Developer
    • View Profile
    • iBlakeJames
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 08:36:21 PM »
There is no way that we know of. Not saying it is impossible, but it is virtually impossible for us, save a genius.

Youre right, maybe we can find the location of the app frameworks, get a ios 5 device, copy the app frameworks to a ios 4 device, then change the systemversion.plist on the ios 4 device and maybe it would work!
iBlakeJames

Offline benben19950723

• Using an Apple iPhone 5
    • View Profile
    • Answers? Here.
  • Device: iPod Touch 2G
  • My Computer: Mac
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 10:20:39 PM »
Quote from: iblakejames link=topic=6834.msg66571#msg66571 date=
Quote from: bcooperizcool link=topic=6834.msg66569#msg66569 date=

Youre right, maybe we can find the location of the app frameworks, get a ios 5 device, copy the app frameworks to a ios 4 device, then change the systemversion.plist on the ios 4 device and maybe it would work!
It wont work bummer. iOS 5 apps cant work on iOS 4. If it works by doing what you've said, we would have the real apps in Redd00r by now. :P

Whited00r, your iDevice's reason to live.

Offline Andy

• A Mod. I think.
  • Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Whited00r 7
    • View Profile
    • Whited00r
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 06:16:11 AM »

You would be wrong. Doing that would not work at all! Plain copying wont help because the main reason why Apple only had iPhone 3G to iOS4.2.1 was that it only had OPENGL-es 1.3 (or something) and the new devices since iPhone 3GS all had OPENGL-ES 2.0 support.
iOS4.3+ Apps basically all require OPENGL-ES 2.0 and iPhone 3G simply doesnt have that.
It is a hardware problem hence impossible to port it. unless some genius just makes apps in OPENGL-ES 1 for iphone 3G lol
Oh yes. Hi.
I see you've noticed this Signature. Well, all I can tell you is that there's nothing to see here.
Yes, there is nothing interesting here. Just keep scrolling and we'll pretend nothing happened.

Offline applepie

• Redd00r Developer
  • Developer
  • SuperHero Member
  • Dormant Beast
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPod Touch 2G
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 07:21:12 AM »
Also newer iphone has a different proceesor (armv7 vs armv6). Im the past apps were compiled for both. Apple stopped making armv6 frameworks with 4.3 (all devices were armv7). Apps, with the latest xcode are armv7 only (i hear there's workarounds, but, seriously)..
So copying a framework/app from a new firmware wont work because the armv6 processor won't "understand" the code. Its like copying mac apps or frameworks to an iphone and expecting it to work. 2 diifferent os (mac os x vs ios) and proceesors (intel vs armv6/7). Same goes for new firmwares (4.2 vs 6.0, armv6 vs armv7). Now in theory someone could make a code emulator (like rosetta, mac ppc to intel) but seriosuly, that is super hard, and the devices probably wouldnt be able to run it anyways, considering ios4 performance on 2nd gen devices :P

Offline Andy

• A Mod. I think.
  • Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Whited00r 7
    • View Profile
    • Whited00r
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 10:03:32 AM »
Also newer iphone has a different proceesor (armv7 vs armv6). Im the past apps were compiled for both. Apple stopped making armv6 frameworks with 4.3 (all devices were armv7). Apps, with the latest xcode are armv7 only (i hear there's workarounds, but, seriously)..
So copying a framework/app from a new firmware wont work because the armv6 processor won't "understand" the code. Its like copying mac apps or frameworks to an iphone and expecting it to work. 2 diifferent os (mac os x vs ios) and proceesors (intel vs armv6/7). Same goes for new firmwares (4.2 vs 6.0, armv6 vs armv7). Now in theory someone could make a code emulator (like rosetta, mac ppc to intel) but seriosuly, that is super hard, and the devices probably wouldnt be able to run it anyways, considering ios4 performance on 2nd gen devices :P

Thats what was in my mind that i couldnt remember... i forgot ARMv6 and ARMv7. i only remember OPENGLES technology :P
Btw... are the 2 things linked together ARMv6/7 and OPENGL-ES 1.3/2.0?
Im really n00by at this. LOL
Oh yes. Hi.
I see you've noticed this Signature. Well, all I can tell you is that there's nothing to see here.
Yes, there is nothing interesting here. Just keep scrolling and we'll pretend nothing happened.