Author Topic: [50% Solved] WhatsApp WD6 Problem - Partially Working Update!  (Read 292431 times)

Offline jmdesai

• Whited00r iPhone User
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Windows
Re: [50% Solved] WhatsApp WD6 Problem - Partially Working Update!
« Reply #330 on: June 16, 2013, 10:34:22 AM »
Amoralico, Antonio Morales, has developed a Whatsapp client for WebOs.  WebOs community faces problems similar to people on this forum, lake of development or support from OS, because HP has abandoned it.  Surely he knows all about how registration and authentication is handled on Whatsapp servers. If a Whatsapp client can be succesfully developed for WebOs, then why not for older iOS devices?

Please have a look at this thread:
http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-apps-games/318833-mojowhatsup-whatsapp-client-webos.html

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
Re: webOS vs. iOS & WhatsApp
« Reply #331 on: June 16, 2013, 07:12:02 PM »
...If a Whatsapp client can be succesfully developed for WebOs, then why not for older iOS devices?...

You are comparing orange to Apple.   :)

webOS based on a Linux kernel is now an open source development project sponsored by HP. BTW it is now called Open webOS.

The WhatsApp servers are using different authorization methods specific to each different OS: Android, iOS, webOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, etc. WhatsApp FAQ: Is my device supported?

You did not read the Whited00r 6 FAQ linked above about ARMv6 vs. ARMv7 CPU instructions sets I presume.  ;)

From http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/ARMv7

ARMv7 is the processor instruction set used starting with the S5L8920 in the iPhone 3GS and in all subsequent devices. Processors that support ARMv7 instructions are backward compatible with ARMv6 instructions, but attempting to run binaries compiled for ARMv7 on older, ARMv6 processors will result in the error: "Bad CPU type in executable".

The WhatsApp authorization code generation servers for iOS are now using instructions sets that ARMv6 CPU's, iOS 4.2.1 and below and WhatsApp v2.8.4 app and below cannot understand.

WhatsApp decided that they will not send anymore new authorization codes to devices with ARMv6 CPU: iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, iPod Touch 1G and iPod Touch 2G.

If you want more technical info about Apple's deprecation policy of the ARMv6 CPU against owners of gen 1 & 2 devices: Softly Killing iPhone 3G

You can always try to hack the WhatsApp servers and try to force them to speak the ARMv6 language. Good luck with that and don't be surprised if the FBI or Interpol knocks on your door eventually.  :o

Offline Rothmann

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 17, 2013, 10:37:27 PM »
I use on my iphone 3g whatsapp 2.5.11.....I get the passcode from libary and enter whatsapp, but there is no network connection.Is there maybe a way to fix this?

Offline rcocchiararo

• View Profile
  • Device: iPod Touch 2G
« Reply #333 on: June 22, 2013, 07:38:28 PM »
I have an iphone 4 running ios 6.1.2, which has its home button broken (it was replaced and it got borked again). My telco gave me a galaxy S3 in replacement (and blocked the iphone4 from being used in this county's celphone providerS), becasue iphones can no longer be imported and sold here in Argentina.

A friend has an ipod touch 3g 8gb (which is really an ipod touch 2g MC model) with ios4.2.1

Im REALLY sad becasue we took months to get into jailbreaking it and installing whatsapp, and now we can install 2.8.4 but we can't activate it (but if we had done this before, all would be fine...)

I spent the night reading and experimenting, until i came to know why we could not install anything past 2.8.4

Then i decided to activate whatsapp on the i4, and try to copy files and whatnot to the ipod touch, to see if it could be activated somehow. I used the same phone number, and even faked the UDID on the ipod touch to be the same as in the iphone. (also changed ios version to 6.1.2, and replaced whatsapp version in a file inside whatsapp.ipa to 2.8.7)

I can open whatsapp, but ass soon as it connects to the servers, it tells me that activation is wrong, most surely because i swapped devices. Reactivating is not posible becasue 2.8.4 uses a 3 digit activation code, instead of the new 6 digit one.

Would it be imposible for someone who can program/alter iOS software to modify whatsapp.ipa (version 2.8.4) to present iself as 2.8.7 AND to be able to accept a 6 digit code ?

If not, the only hope i see is to get whatsapp to release a 2.8.4 version that can be activated :(

ps: i found no way of transplanting my iphone4 "identity" to the ipod touch, is there one ?

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
« Reply #334 on: June 22, 2013, 07:54:40 PM »
I use on my iphone 3g whatsapp 2.5.11.....I get the passcode from libary and enter whatsapp, but there is no network connection.Is there maybe a way to fix this?

Nope, you are as far as anyone else has gotten pretty much.

@rcocchiararo

That is what I tried to do once via a tweak, I didn't get far, although I may take another stab at it after I'm done with other projects.   It was difficult to get it to accept newer codes, or even present itself as a new version of the app :/  Sadly, we don't have the source code to anything so that makes it much more difficult, because we need the authentication ability, as well as the making it take the different codes and present itself as a newer version of the app :(

Offline rcocchiararo

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 22, 2013, 07:57:48 PM »
Nope, you are as far as anyone else has gotten pretty much.

@rcocchiararo

That is what I tried to do once via a tweak, I didn't get far, although I may take another stab at it after I'm done with other projects.   It was difficult to get it to accept newer codes, or even present itself as a new version of the app :/  Sadly, we don't have the source code to anything so that makes it much more difficult, because we need the authentication ability, as well as the making it take the different codes and present itself as a newer version of the app :(

I see... i thought that the version part was as easy as modifing the info.plist inside the ipa.

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
« Reply #336 on: June 22, 2013, 08:00:50 PM »
I see... i thought that the version part was as easy as modifing the info.plist inside the ipa.

Sadly no, I think it is coded into the app elsewhere :(

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to Activate WhatsApp on an Other Device by Copying Data
« Reply #337 on: June 22, 2013, 10:54:01 PM »
...now we can install 2.8.4 but we can't activate it (but if we had done this before, all would be fine...)

...we could not install anything past 2.8.4

Then i decided to activate whatsapp on the i4, and try to copy files and whatnot to the ipod touch, to see if it could be activated somehow. I used the same phone number, and even faked the UDID on the ipod touch to be the same as in the iphone. (also changed ios version to 6.1.2, and replaced whatsapp version in a file inside whatsapp.ipa to 2.8.7)

I can open whatsapp, but as soon as it connects to the servers, it tells me that activation is wrong, most surely because i swapped devices. Reactivating is not posible becasue 2.8.4 uses a 3 digit activation code, instead of the new 6 digit one.

Would it be imposible for someone who can program/alter iOS software to modify whatsapp.ipa (version 2.8.4) to present iself as 2.8.7 AND to be able to accept a 6 digit code ?...

What you tried does not work as reported several times in this thread.

"...2.8.4 uses a 3 digit activation code, instead of the new 6 digit one... - that's one major problem but the other one that is not fixable is that if the WhatsApp severs are speaking in a language that only iOS 4.3 and newer can understand when activating their app on a new unique iOS device/phone number combo then your old device will never be able to understand it as explained 2 posts above yours: Re: webOS vs. iOS & WhatsApp

On the left side a screen capture of the old WhatsApp v2.8.4 for iOS 3.1 and above is not activated anymore by the WhatsApp servers & required a 3 digit activation code unique to a given device/phone number combo sent by their servers. On the right side: the newer WhatsApp v2.8.7 requires iOS 4.3 & above and uses a more secure 6 digit code.

WhatsApp is not an ordinary app that one could crack once & use offline on it's device for ever, it communicates constantly with the WhatsApp servers as you use it to send/receive, get notified, modify your profile, etc.

For WhatsApp security is of paramount importance as they do not want hackers to be able to read or access the accounts of other users so good luck trying to fake it to get access to an account.  ::)

For an example of their security steps see this WhatsApp FAQ - How can I change my WhatsApp phone number?

...1- If you are permanently changing phone numbers, you can delete your WhatsApp account and then verify your new number...

2- If you are planning on using your old number in the future, or you do not wish to delete your account, you can delete and reinstall WhatsApp.... Once reinstalled, you can verify your new phone number...

WhatsApp FAQ - Can I verify one WhatsApp account to multiple phones, or with multiple phone numbers?

...your WhatsApp account can only be verified with one number, on one device.

If you attempt to frequently switch your WhatsApp account between different devices, at a certain point, you may be blocked from re-verifying your account. So please do not repeatedly switch between different devices.

"... and even faked the UDID on the ipod touch to be the same as in the iphone... - From WhatsApp FAQ > iPhone - Verifying your phone number in WhatsApp

...You have the latest version of WhatsApp installed from the App Store

...You are not using an unsupported device such as an iPod Touch or iPad.

WhatsApp FAQ - Which Apple devices are supported?

WhatsApp for iPhone requires iOS 4.3 or later...

...Please note: iPod and iPad devices are not supported at this time.

Offline rcocchiararo

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 22, 2013, 11:19:42 PM »
What you tried does not work as reported several times in this thread.

"...2.8.4 uses a 3 digit activation code, instead of the new 6 digit one... - that's one major problem but the other one that is not fixable is that if the WhatsApp severs are speaking in a language that only iOS 4.3 and newer can understand when activating their app on a new unique iOS device/phone number combo then your old device will never be able to understand it as explained 2 posts above yours: Re: webOS vs. iOS & WhatsApp

Yeah, if only i had found this forum before spending a whole day fiddling with it :P

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 22, 2013, 11:27:11 PM »
Yeah, if only i had found this forum before spending a whole day fiddling with it :P

Only 1 day wasted? I spent several days trying to speed up the dog-slow iOS 4.2.1 on my iPhone 3G before I stumbled on Whited00r way back in November 2012.  ;)

Offline rcocchiararo

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 22, 2013, 11:45:53 PM »
Only 1 day wasted? I spent several days trying to speed up the dog-slow iOS 4.2.1 on my iPhone 3G before I stumbled on Whited00r way back in November 2012.  ;)

to each his own :P

I spent 1 day (litterally speaking, it was a non working day that i spent @home :P), and its not even MY device :P

The worst part is that if we had gotten toghether earlier in the year, we could have jailbroken that ipod, installed 2.8.4 and authenticate with whatsapp (heck, it could have been done even during last year, we just lacked the time :P)

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
Trying to Re-activate WhatsApp on The Same iPhone/Phone Number
« Reply #341 on: June 23, 2013, 12:01:54 AM »
...The worst part is that if we had gotten toghether earlier in the year, we could have jailbroken that ipod, installed 2.8.4 and authenticate with whatsapp...

Nah, the worst case is users who had activated WhatsApp Messenger v2.8.4 previously on a given iPhone 3G with a given phone number but did not make a WhatsApp + your data backup or a full backup with iTunes and are now prevented from activating their WhatsApp again after flashing the iOS firmware even if it is exactly the same device/phone number combo. That is just mean IMO.  :'(

Hence the importance of this very first step before flashing any firmware: [Tutorial] Backup Apps & Data BEFORE Upgrading iOS Firmware WD 6 3.1.3 4.1 4.2.1 It includes tips about how to extract app data or SMS, etc from the full iTunes backup.

Better safe than sorry.

Offline Kimon

• View Profile
WhatsApp Activated on iOS 4.2.1 to Whited00r 6 & Backup?
« Reply #342 on: June 28, 2013, 11:51:12 PM »
Hey all,

I have iPhone 3G with currently jailbreaked 4.2.1 and whatsapp on v. 2.8.4 is running fine on it. Now I'd liked to put whited00r on it, so that it would run smoother. Does  the app + your data backup thing work? Do you have to activate again?
Whatsapp is registered on my german mobile number, which SIM I Lost. I am currently using a spanish SIM card. Would that be a problem?

Thanks!

PierreP Moderator note: Edited the post's title to add relevant keywords as described in Whited00r 6: Tips to Quickly Solve your Problems/Bugs & Get Answers FAST!

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
Re: WhatsApp Activated on iOS 4.2.1 to Whited00r 6 & Backup?
« Reply #343 on: June 29, 2013, 02:26:36 AM »
...I have iPhone 3G with currently jailbreaked 4.2.1 and whatsapp on v. 2.8.4 is running fine on it. Now I'd liked to put whited00r on it, so that it would run smoother. Does  the app + your data backup thing work? Do you have to activate again?
Whatsapp is registered on my german mobile number, which SIM I Lost. I am currently using a spanish SIM card. Would that be a problem?...

Welcome to the Whited00r forum!  8)

Thank you for providing the essential information.

1- Make a full iTunes backup of your device so if you have any problems, you could go back to the current iOS 4.2.1 state by using Restore in iTunes.

2- Don't forget to transfer purchases from the iPhone to the iTunes library (see backup tutorial).

3- Yes, with an app + your data backup as described in the backup tutorial linked above it should work. And it should not ask you to re-activate WhatsApp which is not possible anymore on iOS below 4.3 as described above. You can also use iTools to backup photos, media, SMS, call log & contacts.

After flashing the firmware, disconnect the iPhone from the computer while it is booting for the first time. Then turn the iPhone off after it finished booting and turn back on after waiting 5 seconds. Do that a second time so all is settled. Connect to iTunes and Set up as new iPhone. Then use iTools to install the backed up WhatsApp version with the blue Doc badge.

4- If your iPhone 3G is factory unlocked then install the Whited00r 6 Normal version. If not, use the Unlock version.

Questions:

Q1- You wrote that you are currently using a Spanish SIM card. Is the phone number the exact same as the German SIM with which you activated WhatsApp on that iPhone 3G?

Q2- If not the same number then are you saying you activated WhatsApp with a phone number then changed SIM and phone number and WhatsApp did not ask you to re-activate by sending you a new 3 digit activation code?  :o

Offline Kimon

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 29, 2013, 02:20:53 PM »
Well thank you very very much for this detailed reply. I will try that!   8)

To the questions: No the numbers are of course not the same. I setup my phone with my german number and when I came to spain, I changed the SIMs. When I started Whatsapp, they told me that they detected a different number and if I want to use that number for whatsapp now. I clicked 'no' and now I have a spanish number inside, but whatsapp is still running on my german number. Its a bit long ago, but I think, there was no reactivation necessary!

Right now my only worries are, that whatsapp wants to reactivate, especially if I dont have my german number inside. But I will try the app + your data thing.