Author Topic: What happens to my old Apps that are no longer available ?  (Read 7229 times)

Offline Dave.G6HNI

• View Profile
What happens to my old Apps that are no longer available ?
« on: December 18, 2012, 02:01:37 PM »
Guys, I'm a total novice at this, so please be gentle.

I have a really old version of Whitedoor on my iPhone 2G but I would like to try the new v6.

The thing is a lot of the apps I have on my iPhone are no longer available in the iTunes App store, or have been upgraded such that the new versions won't work on my old phone :(

If I follow the instructions for a clean install and don't then recover my apps from the backup how will I get them back onto my iPhone ???

I have saved most of the .ipa's to a safe place, but some are only on my iPhone and I have never tried installing them back onto the iPhone.

Thanks, Dave.

Offline auerbach0815

• ...on nobody's side, because nobody is on my side
    • View Profile
    • digitalvandalism
Re: What happens to my old Apps that are no longer available ?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 04:15:51 PM »
you can sync your apps back later (after Installation) ...afaik this has nothing to do with "backup" !

give it a try ! you know about 3store ?!
What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight its the size of the fight in the dog.
Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969)

Offline Dave.G6HNI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 09:08:25 PM »
Hi, 3store is part of Whited00r5 isn't it, I only have Whited00r4.1 :(

When you say "you can sync the apps later" how/where will it sync them from, because a lot of the apps are now too new to work with iOS3.1.3 ???

I mistakingly allowed iTunes to update my apps before I discouvered that the updates would no longer work with iOS3.

So the only working copy of many of my apps is on my iPhone !

Offline tartilc

• SuperHero Member
  • The Only Member That <3s Potatoes ;D
    • View Profile
    • TC Trapper
  • Device: iPod Touch 2G
  • My Computer: Linux
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 02:12:15 AM »
I think I have a solution! Try this:

1) Install iFunBox.
2) Connect your iPhone.
3) Browse to the User Applications area.
4) Select everything and drag it all to a folder in your computer.
5) Uninstall iTunes.
6) Go to the Music folder of your computer and delete all the files there.
7) Install iTunes 10 from here: http://www.oldversion.com/windows/itunes/
8) Install it. (Smiley was not intentional, lol, but it can stay! I meant step eight)
9) Double check to make sure there are no apps in the Library or Apps area.
10) Sign in with your Apple account.
11) Make sure iTunes is authorized.
12) Connect your iPhone.
13) Sync with iTunes.
14) While syncing, make sure that it does not say anything about deleting or updating.
15) If the above happens, then disconnect your iPhone immediately.
16) If it does not, then continue syncing.
17) Then, when it is done, remove your iPhone and check for your apps on it.
18) Go back to your computer.
19) Go to the Music folder.
20) Click these folders in order: iTunes>>iTunes Media>>Mobile Applications
21) Select them all, and copy them to a new folder in your Documents folder.
22) If all goes as planned, you now have a backup of every IPA of every app on your iPhone.
23) Upgrade without worry!
24) Enjoy!

I hope I helped out! ;D
404 Signature Fail :(

Offline Dave.G6HNI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 10:49:16 PM »
Hi, Great post thanks.

I now have Whited00r 6 and all my apps, except....

I followed the utube vid to rename 3store and get the regular app store back and I see I have the regular app store and something called app market, but it seems to try and load the app store too but fails and no sign of 3store ???

Also although I can Cydia is listed under System Apps it is not showing up on the screen either ???

I copied all my Cydia apps to my PC, but can't get them back in and without Cydia I'm stuck.

I note that in Cydia's info.plist there is the same bit of code...

<key>SBAppTags</key>
<array>
<string>hidden</string>
<string>AppStore</string>
</array>

I wonder if I just need to delete this too ???

Offline superbeak

• Bl4ck0ut Admin/Chicken
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 2G
  • My Computer: Mac
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 12:25:26 AM »
I feel like you could have just deleted the updated ones from the computer and iTunes, then just transfer the purchases back in lol.
and yeah...that

Offline Dave.G6HNI

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 10:15:39 AM »
OK, some good news,

Having done some searching though other posts I discover that all I need to do is side swipe when in app market to see Cydia, etc. :) but the genuine app store still shows an error on launch but will then load once error message accepted.

I am going to do the 3store mod again so that I get the genuine app store back on the home page and then just use app market to get to Cydia until I find a fix for the link to the genuine app store.

Still can't work out how to get my Cydia apps back though and I have now found that one of those (iBlueNova) is no longer available :(

Offline tartilc

• SuperHero Member
  • The Only Member That <3s Potatoes ;D
    • View Profile
    • TC Trapper
  • Device: iPod Touch 2G
  • My Computer: Linux
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 01:54:36 AM »
I'm not sure if you can get your Cydia apps back. :( If you had told us that you were backing up Cydia apps too, I would have pointed to something like: Pkgbackup (http://cydia.saurik.com/package/com.pragmatixconsulting.packagebackup) I have never used it, but it probably would have worked for you. Sorry I couldn't tell you this earlier. :(
404 Signature Fail :(

Offline Dave.G6HNI

• View Profile
Re: What happens to my old Apps that are no longer available -Solved
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 07:40:26 PM »
I have been able to download all my Cydia apps again excpt iBlueNova, which no longer seems to be available.

Fortunately I found that I still had the .deb file I downloaded originally, so I have got that back too :)

I note that about a year ago a user "applepie" suggested having a iOS3 compatible download section for Free (PD) apps, but reading through the post, it doesn't ever seem to have been impleted ?

I would be quite happy to share my ipa's if such a store exists ???

I have saved all my FREE (PD) ones to my SkyDive...

EDIT:- I have removed the link, as I now understand that the apps are still tied to my Apple ID, I will folllow the instructions below to add any that are not already available, once I have workd out exactly what to do :)

« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 09:40:17 AM by Dave.G6HNI »

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Windows
Re: whited00r 6 iOS 3.1.3 Free Compatible Apps Stores
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 02:15:49 AM »
...I note that about a year ago a user "applepie" suggested having a iOS3 compatible download section for Free (PD) apps, but reading through the post, it doesn't ever seem to have been impleted ?

I would be quite happy to share my ipa's if such a store exists ???...

Yes it's implemented with the WD 6 built-in App Time Machine Store. The ipa's you want to share need to be untied from your iTunes ID. See whited00r Tutorial - How to Crack an Application but @ the present the tutorial is not correct as you don't need to log as Root! So step 1 to 4 are wrong. Correct ones:

Step 1: Open Terminal (MobileTerminal.app) on your device

Step 2: type: setup and hit Return.

Step 3: type: d to select "Crack All applications.

Lookie here for links to free apps & info: [Tutorial] whited00r 6 How-To Find iOS 3.1.3 Compatible Apps - iTunes iOS Filter Fix

I use Cydia > OpenBackup on iPhone 3G whited00r 6 to backup all the stuff I downloaded & installed from Cydia in a .deb format (saved in: /var/mobile/OpenBackupDebs/archives) and use the free iFile app (found on Cydia, when using if it ask for the License, just hit the Later button) to install .deb's on the iPhone.

Edit: You should remove your SkyDrive link as I tried 4 of your apps and they all crash because they are tied to your iTunes ID:

BBC News 1.7.3.ipa
Maxis F1 2012 2.4.1.ipa
Mobile TV 1.4.6.ipa
Solitaire 3.6.2.ipa

BTW SkyDrive returns this Encoding Error because of the tiny TM in the Maxis named file:

Due to the limitations of the supported zip file format, the following file(s) had to be renamed.

Original File Name  ->  New File Name
Maxis F1 2012 2.4.1.ipa -> File1.ipa

Offline Dave.G6HNI

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 10:13:44 AM »
Thanks for this info, I now see why I had two versions of some apps, the original, plus another without any special chracters !

I have several games that I did not upload as they are quite big, I haven't even loaded them back on to my iPhone, is there anyway to crack (remove my ID) from them while still on my PC and then submit them ?

Also if I run this "Crack all apps" what happens if it finds a paid for app ???

EDIT:- OK, I just ran Crack all, but it only did 17 apps, most appear not to have been cracked ???

EDIT:- Just tried to upload 1st app to AppTimeMachine, found the entry in iTunes, browsed to my app, ticked the Disclaimer box and then clicked on "Upload for the Future", it goes away and "Upload the IPA" appears, but nothing else happens ? there appears to be a bar that might increase as the file is uploaded, but I left it for 30mins and nothing had changed ???
So I have no idea if it worked.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 12:18:34 PM by Dave.G6HNI »