Author Topic: [Solved] WiFi hot-spot App? Hardware Limitations?  (Read 8477 times)

Offline momircar11

• SuperHero Member
  • Whited00r User
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Windows
[Solved] WiFi hot-spot App? Hardware Limitations?
« on: February 12, 2013, 07:33:08 PM »
Hi guys! I saw on my friend's phone (Android) that he can share his Internet connection, like making personal WiFi hot-spot.. So, can you make a tweak or somethin' for that or is it a hardware?  ;)

Moderator note: Edited thread title to add relevant keywords as described in WD 6: Tips to Quickly Solve your Problems/Bugs & Get Answers FAST!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 06:05:35 AM by PierreP »
iPhone 3G (8GB) - WD 6.0

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
Re: Tethering
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 07:39:47 PM »
I am pretty sure an older version of mywi compatible with 3.1.3 can make a wifi hotspot, or else enable it via the configurator.

Offline momircar11

• SuperHero Member
  • Whited00r User
    • View Profile
Re: Tethering
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 07:47:05 PM »
Oh ok :) I found on Mit0's repo MyWi for iOS 3.. Downloading it right now!  ;) Tnx for quick reply btw!
iPhone 3G (8GB) - WD 6.0

Offline Arxa

• Whited00r User
    • View Profile
Re: WiFi hot-spot App? Hardware Limitations?
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 12:55:31 AM »
There is also PDAnet app that can turn ur iPhone into a modem ( have Internet at your pc) ^^

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
There is also PDAnet app that can turn ur iPhone into a modem ( have Internet at your pc) ^^

Link please? Does it turn iPhone 3G into a WIFI hot spot? Edit: PdaNet for iPhone

The latest version turns your iPhone (any version) into a true WiFi HotSpot so that you can connect from your computer (MAC or PC) or iPads. This allows your laptop to go online wirelessly through the 2G/3G/4G network on the iPhone.

Anybody tested PdaNet on whited00r 6? Which version? Where did you get it? Edit: Done! See post below.

Whited00r 6 does include a built-in feature to use your iPhone as a modem for internet sharing, tethered to your computer via Bluetooth or USB data cable.

It is disabled by default for speed reasons but it is easy to enable it using the WD Terminal > setup. See bottom right in the Whited00r 6 setup tool (thanks to WD developers mattewre & bcooperizcool for that tool! 8)) screen capture below: "Do you need tethering?"

And after enabling internet tethering in setup, a new option is added in > Settings > General > Cellular > Network: Internet Tethering.

Offline Arxa

• Whited00r User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 02:00:00 AM »
:O I didn't knew the existence of this daemon-feature on WD6!!! This is amazing! I am going to check this tommorow definetely! As for the Pdanet application yes it turns 2G-3G and rest models to wifi spots and has also thethering option USB!

I am still writing from tapatalk mate ( still on holidays) and i don't have many luxuries. You can find Pdanet for sure on Sinfuliphone repo and they have the activation method on the description.

Also If you want to use the USB tethering option you have to install on your desktop a small application in order to make the connection with your iPhone!

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 02:06:04 AM »
Again: Pdanet version that is compatible with WD 6?

No need for anything on the computer to use WD's USB internet sharing feature.

Offline Arxa

• Whited00r User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 04:19:22 AM »
Aha nice so WD's feature is more functional ! The version of PdaNet I use is 5.36 but 4-5 days ago i had  notification on Cydia to update on 6.01...
I haven't update yet ( I think this version adds compability to iOS 6.1, not sure though...). Perhaps I will update tommorow  from a friends laptop to check compability(if not I will reinstall from back up the 5.36 .deb !
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 04:24:44 AM by Arxa »

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
WiFi Hotspot App - PdaNet 6.01 on Whited00r 6 Report
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 05:32:10 AM »
PdaNet 6.01 tested on my iPhone 3G running Whited00r 6 and a Windows 7 64-bit laptop.

1- I went here and followed the instructions to add the Source to Cydia: http://www.sinfuliphonerepo.com/

2- Navigated the newly added Repo to PdaNet 6.01 and made a screen capture (press at the same time Home & power for 1 second, find the image in Camera Roll) of the instructions to activate the free version to Full Edition. Copied the image to computer.

3- Activated PdaNet 6.01, turned on WIFI on both iPhone 3G & computer and turned on WiFi HotSpot on PdaNet and chose my private security key.

4- WIFI access point PdaNet HotSpot showed up immediately on computer, entered my security key and bingo, surfing on the computer using the 3G data of the iPhone.

Observations:

A- It works great but the iPhone's battery gets quite hot, even when connected to a wall charger.

B- The whited00r's built-in USB internet sharing tethering is a better solution for me while on the road as it keeps the iPhone 3G cool & charged.

C- The WIFI Client function is useless as iPhone 3G Wifi works without that.

D- I use the WD USB one so it is useless for me and besides, the PdaNet USB tethering requires you to insla their desktop client that you can download here.

E- Hide Tether, waz that? I guess it is to play cat & mouse with AT&T and other cellular providers who do not let you tether your phone to share it's internet connection but not in my country so useless for me but maybe good for you.

This said,  it's good to have options.

Offline Arxa

• Whited00r User
    • View Profile
Re: [Solved] WiFi hot-spot App? Hardware Limitations?
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 11:38:41 AM »
Thanks again for your detailed preview! For sure i will try to test WD tethering feature today!