Author Topic: [Solved] How to Backup SMS & Contacts Before Whited00r installation?  (Read 4441 times)

Offline thegutterpoet

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
    • weedguru
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Windows
2013-09-08 PierreP moderator note: The solution is here: [Tutorial] Backup Apps & Data BEFORE Upgrading iOS Firmware WD 6 3.1.3 4.1 4.2.1

Original post:

I have a jailbroken iphone 3g. Its slothful and I would very much like to install whited00r. However I am facing a series of seemingly insurmountable obstacles such as...

I deeply desire either a readable back-up of my present SMS on my PC, or better still an easy to follow routine for backing them up then restoring them to the phone after WD has been installed. Cydia on my 3g is dead...it died during a lengthy 3 hour effort at removing the tape archive facet of cycorder. It is no more...It took a few Cydia apps with it, but somehow backgrounder and activator and bosspaper remained.

I have no other software to back anything up...other than the backups made via itunes. I can't even install mycontactsbackup because i require a more advanced ios, the appstore so kindly informs me.

Can I use icloud somehow??? Are there any other ways i can back up my SMS and allow them to be read easily on my PC??? Can I backup and restore my SMS and contacts through the Whited00r installation process??
can anyone help me!!????

cheers,
D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 05:30:30 PM by PierreP »

Offline Julio Cesar

• Jr. Team Member
  • Medio Loco
    • View Profile
    • TheFullyWhited00r
Re: Help desired with Whited00r installation
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 10:45:34 AM »
Hello yes you can using iTools, it is a very easy software and with it you can backup all, msn, contacts, missed calls, etc. and you can download it from here
iTools (click on English)

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 05:31:43 PM by PierreP »

Offline Arxa

• Whited00r User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 11:17:33 AM »
Is it 100% sure you can save your SMS with iTools Julio? I haven't use it at all, I use Moborobo!

Offline Julio Cesar

• Jr. Team Member
  • Medio Loco
    • View Profile
    • TheFullyWhited00r
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 11:37:45 AM »
Yes my friend is 120% sure I always do it. and not just the sms, the contacts, the missed calls, etc

Offline thegutterpoet

• View Profile
    • weedguru
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 04:43:53 AM »
I recently installed whited00r 6 on my jailbroken and increasingly haggard iphone 3g. Before doing so I backed up my notes, address book, calender and SMS, using i funbox. Copying the sms.db back over proved a simple job, with all texts returning. However, the next main restoration I wanted and assumed would be simple was the addressbook files.

I have tried several times and cannot get this to work. Both via i funbox and ispirit. I have deleted the two files in the var/mobile/library/address book (AddressBook.sqlitedb and AddressBookImages.sqlite). Copied in my backup versions of both. changed the permissions. rebooted...and the same file which i deleted is back! and my contacts are not restored.
I can tell its the same file I am trying to delete because my backup is 280kb and the whited00r installation new phone one is 168kb. What the hell am I doing wrong???? It could be down to this weed??? But I doubt it, for it increases my capacity to focus my mental wrath.

so...where am I going wrong??? Or is it as simple a case of...the Gods are against me???

Cheers, in advance, for any advice...
D

I have tried deleting the iphone defaults and copying in my backup files with i funbox, itools and ispirit...same routine. the default ones always return.

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 04:46:58 AM »
I recently installed whited00r 6 on my jailbroken and increasingly haggard iphone 3g. Before doing so I backed up my notes, address book, calender and SMS, using i funbox. Copying the sms.db back over proved a simple job, with all texts returning. However, the next main restoration I wanted and assumed would be simple was the addressbook files.

I have tried several times and cannot get this to work. Both via i funbox and ispirit. I have deleted the two files in the var/mobile/library/address book (AddressBook.sqlitedb and AddressBookImages.sqlite). Copied in my backup versions of both. changed the permissions. rebooted...and the same file which i deleted is back! and my contacts are not restored.
I can tell its the same file I am trying to delete because my backup is 280kb and the whited00r installation new phone one is 168kb. What the hell am I doing wrong???? It could be down to this weed??? But I doubt it, for it increases my capacity to focus my mental wrath.

so...where am I going wrong??? Or is it as simple a case of...the Gods are against me???

D

I have tried deleting the iphone defaults and copying in my backup files with i funbox, itools and ispirit...same routine. the default ones always return.
What firmware were you on before you restored to whited00r?  I think you may need to extract the contacts from a backup on your computer and resync just the contacts if you were on iOS 4 first :/ (the backup file types changed I think... Not 100% sure if it was in iOS 4 or iOS 4.3.3 it changed though)

Offline thegutterpoet

• View Profile
    • weedguru
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 09:29:13 AM »
I vaguely recall been on 4.2.1...would that make sense given I jailbroke the 3g 6 months ago, and haven't changed much at all until I recently installed whited00r...and how is it possible to resync just the contacts from an older itunes backup???

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 04:23:59 PM »
Dont sync from a backup!  You must sync the contacts with your computer, and then sync them with your device :(

Offline thegutterpoet

• View Profile
    • weedguru
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 04:46:00 AM »
How do I synch the contacts with my computer and then sync them with my device...???

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 04:49:43 AM »
How do I synch the contacts with my computer and then sync them with my device...???
Not completely sure as I have never done it before, but I would guess extract them using iphone backup extractor, sync them or import them into the contact/address book program on your computer, then sync the iPhone with that... might not even work though :/  I have never tried :( sorry D:

Offline Julio Cesar

• Jr. Team Member
  • Medio Loco
    • View Profile
    • TheFullyWhited00r
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 10:31:59 AM »
How do I synch the contacts with my computer and then sync them with my device... ???
Man I told you, with the iTools

Offline thegutterpoet

• View Profile
    • weedguru
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 03:06:50 AM »
How do I synch the contacts with my computer and then sync them with my device... ???
Man I told you, with the iTools

I mentioned before that I have tried to copy the addressbook back into my phone using itools. It works as well as using ispirit andi funbox. as in...it doesnt work.

I have set the permissions as suggested by others, and it copies over fine, the apple symbol comes up and the loading bar appears briefly. However, after respring, after restart, i find every time that the same default whited00r contacts are still there and my backup file has not at all copied over.

Any other ideas???

i am thinking maybe I can put an itunes backup into my new itunes folder, then connect the phone and perhaps it will sync my contacts from the last backup it has with my new iphone whitedoor installation????

otherwise I am out of ideas...

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 03:09:46 AM »
You could try putting it in to the new backup of your iPhone, and then sync it again, but if they changed the database type in 4.x as opposed to 3.1.3 it is hard to keep contacts :(

So, make a backup of your iPhone in iTunes, find the backup folder/whatever it is called ;) (I haven't played around with iTunes backups ever, but I will get into that soon), place the database file in place of the other one, then re-sync again :)

Offline mastad

• View Profile
  • Device: Does Not Own iDevice ARMv6
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 12:18:15 AM »

D

Re: Solved Addressbook backup problem