Author Topic: Whited00r 6 - GPS problem iPhone 3G Baseband 05.13.04, 05.15.04 & 06.15.00  (Read 68810 times)

Offline Gorkij

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Mac
2013-05-26 PierreP Moderator edit: We may have found the solution but for the real GPS receiver only. Try this fix FIX - GPS problem iPhone 3G Baseband 05.13.04 and after that this GPS test method: App to Test GPS - MotionX-GPS Better than Google Maps

Native Maps app returning a "Your location could not determined" error in Whited00r 6:

And thank you in advance for reporting back in this thread about if it worked for you or not.  8)

Note that the iPhone 2G & iPod Touch 1 & 2G do not have a GPS receiver. They use a-GPS (or AGPS - Assisted GPS) to approximate your location by triangulation. The exact technical term is Trilateration.

It may take up to 12 minutes outdoor with a clear sky view using the iPhone 3G to get a lock on 4 satellites minimum which is necessary to be able to get the Altitude data & Accuracy under 47 meters as illustrated above.

Sadly, the a-GPS function permitting a fast approximate location in the native iOS Maps application & faster GPS chipset satellites lock was broken by Apple on iOS 3.1.3 (on which Whited00r is based for max speed & fluidity) because they changed the a-GPS servers' URL's starting on iOS 4+ and disabled access to the previous ones. Just like they are doing in iTunes with apps updates not supporting our older devices anymore.  :-\

The Whited00r team is working on finding a workaround and we will update this post as soon as we find a fix.

Quick approximate location in Maps & Location Services (Core location framework) does not work in Whited00r 6.  :-\

If your iPhone 3G has the > Settings > General > About > Modem Firmware (a.k.a. baseband) > 06.15.00 then the GPS receiver will never work because it is an iPad baseband & that iPad did not have a GPS receiver chip so it is not enabled. See step 3 here if you would like to downgrade to a real iPhone 3G modem firmware: [Solved] iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1 Stuck in Baseband 05.15.04 - No Service

Do not waste your time changing basebands if your modem firmware is not the iPad 06.15.00 as it will not fix the a-GPS problem nor affect the GPS Receiver as proven by multiple tests I ran on 2 different iPhone 3G's.

The native Maps app will work on Whited00r 6 but only after you got a GPS satellite fix using one of the apps illustrated above which may take up to 12 minutes the first time you get a fix:

Original post:

Location services does not function at all on my iPhone 3G after i installed whited00r, but i can send and receive calls.

Originally running 4.2.1 baseband 05.15.04. Locked to carrier of the shipped SIM.
Jailbreaked and updated baseband to 06.15 with redsn0w 0.9.6b6
Downgraded baseband to 05.13.04 with redsn0w 0.9.14b1
Downgraded firmware to 3.1.2 stock, baseband was preserved.
Jailbreaked with blackra1n (without jailbreaking i wasn't able to install the whited00r-ipsw via iTunes).
Installed whited00r wd6 - unlocked.
Updated all the cydia files and ultrasn0w. Rebooted.

The phone is working perfectly, sending and receiving calls with non-shipped SIM-card.
But location services won't work at all, not even with external bluetooth GPS-dongle.
The phone will connect to the dongle but no functioning homing in the maps app.
I never see the little blue arrow, in fact no arrow at all, in the upper right corner.
Could this be a problem with some daemon not running properly, since I cant get a fix even with external GPS device?

Interestingly when i open the maps app and press the arrow, it first locates the approximate location of my wifi (probably sniffed by google i assume) and then shifts to the approximate location of where i used to live 1,5 years ago - the last time i used the iPhone 3G with the original shipped SIM!

Any ideas guys?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:50:38 AM by PierreP »

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
Re: GPS problem on iPhone 3G running baseband 05.13.04
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 02:54:21 PM »
Try running this in terminal, it supposedly fixes location based bugs (if it does work I will send more instructions to keep it working). so, as root run this line by line:
launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.locationd.plist
launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.locationd.plist

Offline momircar11

• SuperHero Member
  • Whited00r User
    • View Profile
  • My Computer: Windows
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 02:56:41 PM »
I have bb 05.13.04 and my GPS is not working  :( Just shows a big white circle, not exact location..
iPhone 3G (8GB) - WD 6.0

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 03:38:36 AM »
@ Gorkij - Welcome to the Whited00r forum!  8)

f0recast is a simple free standalone tool to instantly find essential iPhone info including Bootloader version and baseband. Works on Mac & Windows. Download the free f0recast & iREB tools here: http://ih8sn0w.com/

I just connected my iPhone 3G to my computer with iTunes closed, started the small standalone (means no install required) f0recast and it gave me all the essential info about the iPhone:

Could you make a similar screen capture and post it here?

My iPhone 3G running Whited00r 6 on Baseband 05.13.04 works absolutely fine, including the GPS which is really accurate. It was on bad iPad Baseband 06.15 before I downgraded it to a proper iPhone baseband.

Have you tried this: Hard Reset often solve many problems: hold both Home & Power buttons until the Apple logo appears and let go of the buttons & smell the roses while it is doing it's thing.  :)

No worries, hard reset will not change any of your info, tweaks & apps on the device.

I have bb 05.13.04 and my GPS is not working  :( Just shows a big white circle, not exact location..

You already posted the same thing here and got a reply.  ::) whited00r 6 iPhone 3g Baseband 05.13.04 GPS Not Working?

Offline Gorkij

• View Profile
Re: Whited00r 6 - GPS problem iPhone 3G Baseband 05.13.04
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 08:10:27 AM »
Hi and thanx for the replies.
I ran the terminal commands in terminal as root but no GPS-fix afterwards. It only gets an approximate fix based on WiFi-location; if I turn WiFi off - not even approximate fix. No difference if I use internal or external GPS source. Weird isn't it?

I have done a hard reboot and no difference. I'll attach my f0recast result.

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 08:38:27 AM »
How about a fresh clean install again of WD 6?

After you backed up your device properly do a fresh clean Whited00r 6 install because as you can read in the whited00r Tutorial - Installation:

After installation (could take up to 15 minutes, reboot the device twice) iTunes will ask you if you want to restore from a backup. Please choose “Set up a new iPhone/iPod” to

improve speed and avoid strange problems. Clean installation is better and the the only way to get our support!

Offline Gorkij

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 11:39:16 AM »
I tried to resolve whether this was due to whited00r or redsn0w. I use my external gps since my shipped SIM is no longer active but i need it to activate the phone in iTunes.
So I first restored to 4.2.1 stock via iTunes. Location service works with external GPS.
Jailbreaked and updated baseband to 06.15 with redsn0w 0.9.6.
Downgraded baseband to 05.13.04 with redsn0w 0.9.14b2 - location service works with external gps.
So far so good.

Install WD6 unlocked version. It connects nicely to the bluetooth gps-dongle. Location service no longer works in maps.
Hard reboot. Still no location service.
Updating cydia packages and ultrasnow, hard reboot. Still no location service.
I run the com.apple.locationd.plist-scripts that was posted above. Still no location service.
I clean up the daemons via Terminal->setup. Still no location service.

Doesn't seem like this problem is attached to either redsn0w or the baseband since location service was functioning before I installed whited00r.
Could the push function anything to do with this?

Update: I tried switching to the SIM card that I normally use with my 4S. Works perfectly, sending and reciving calls. Data over 3G also without problem. Still no location with external GPS. If I turn both external GPS and WiFi off and go into the maps app I get a huge approximate location but no fix.
BUT the phone gets quite hot, just like it would if using the gps chip. This has got to be some software problem in whited00r.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 12:23:05 PM by Gorkij »

Offline momircar11

• SuperHero Member
  • Whited00r User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 01:24:28 PM »
F0recast says that I have bootloader 6.4  :o And running terminal script didn't help :( Here's the screenshot:
iPhone 3G (8GB) - WD 6.0

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 02:22:28 PM »
try removing /etc/hosts, just as an idea (rename it to something else, dont delete it)

Offline momircar11

• SuperHero Member
  • Whited00r User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 02:30:48 PM »
Nope. Still the same :( Maybe I need to reboot my phone? I just resprung it..
iPhone 3G (8GB) - WD 6.0

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 03:55:11 PM »
Nope. Still the same :( Maybe I need to reboot my phone? I just resprung it..
try a hard reboot (holding home/power buttons until the device shuts down   )

Offline JustinCase

• An Agent of the System...
  • Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Here since WD 3.x
    • View Profile
    • Whited00rDev
  • Device: iPhone 2G
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 10:06:18 PM »
I feel so lost reading this
I get on every now and then to check up
Go ahead and download Whited00r 8 BETA if you haven't yet: http://goo.gl/AFZIUT <------

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 10:12:53 PM »
I feel so lost reading this
Oh, very pun-ny.

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 10:21:04 PM »
I tried to resolve whether this was due to whited00r or redsn0w. I use my external gps since my shipped SIM is no longer active but i need it to activate the phone in iTunes....

Install WD6 unlocked version. It connects nicely to the bluetooth gps-dongle. Location service no longer works in maps.
Hard reboot. Still no location service.

...Updating cydia packages and ultrasnow, hard reboot. Still no location service.
I run the com.apple.locationd.plist-scripts that was posted above. Still no location service.
I clean up the daemons via Terminal->setup. Still no location service.

Doesn't seem like this problem is attached to either redsn0w or the baseband since location service was functioning before I installed whited00r.
Could the push function anything to do with this?

Update: I tried switching to the SIM card that I normally use with my 4S. Works perfectly, sending and reciving calls. Data over 3G also without problem. Still no location with external GPS. ..

This has got to be some software problem in whited00r.

Maybe momicar11 & you missed my post Reply #5 above but I am re-posting it for your benefit: After you backed up your device properly do a fresh clean Whited00r 6 install because as you can read in the whited00r Tutorial - Installation:

After installation (could take up to 15 minutes, reboot the device twice) iTunes will ask you if you want to restore from a backup. Please choose “Set up a new iPhone/iPod” to

improve speed and avoid strange problems. Clean installation is better and the the only way to get our support!

So how can you say "This has got to be some software problem in whited00r" when you mess up with an external Bluetooth GPS, update & run scripts before using a valid working SIM?

1- Whited00r does not change anything to your baseband so it cannot mess with it.

2- Install Whited00r Unlocked version so I can you say: "i need it to activate the phone in iTunes...." ??? :o   Why? If it is Carrier unlocked, it does not need any iTunes activation.

3- Use a valid working SIM ONLY AFTER REBOOTING TWICE (turn iPhone off, wait 15 second, turn on and do it again) THE DEVICE. Do NOT connect to iTunes before doing this, test GPS & other stuff before doing it.

4- Use the built in WD 6 Google Maps & the iPhone 3G built in GPS and test before making ANY modifications, before doing ANYTHING to the iPhone including Cydia update & whatnot.

You want to test WD 6 itself, not any crap or messing around you did to the original stock WD 6 installation.

5- This morning, I had the dreaded big blue circle showing that the GPS was not working in Google Maps on my iPhone 3G Baseband 05.13.04 WD 6. What I did to fix it is:

5 a- Turn off Google Maps, WIFI, Bluetooth, Notifications & Location Services.

5 b- On my StatusBar I could see my carrier's custom name (WD6  ;) ) & the 3G logo. I chose to reset anyway the iPhone's radios by going to > Settings > Carrier > and let it do it's > Network Selection > Carriers Searching... while it was doing this search, the 3G disappeared from the StatusBar as illustrated in the screen capture below.

After it successfully found my carrier, it showed Automatic and the 3G reappeared on the StatusBar.

5 c- You could try instead: > Settings > turning on Airplane Mode, wait 15 seconds and turn off again to reset the radios & activate the cellular Network Search & initialization.

6- I turned back on > Settings > General > Location Services, went outside my house to have a clear unobstructed view of the sky and the CIA's GPS satellites  :o and started the Google Maps app. After a few minutes for the initialization of the GPS and Google downloading it's maps: Bingo! Works perfectly with a pinpoint blue dot showing my exact location which I will not post here.  ;)

@ bcooperizcool - Don't waste your time with momicar11, I asked him in an other GPS thread to do a clean WD 6 install because look at his posting history, he made so many tweaks and installed so much [email protected] that it is impossible to troubleshoot his tweaked unrecognizable WD install: http://www.whited00r.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=18776

Only if he confirms a clean fresh un-tweaked Whited00r 6 install following exactly the instructions above will I ever answer any of his questions about GPS again.  ::)

Offline Gorkij

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 03:13:36 PM »
I've always done clean installs of whited00r, which I think is a wonderful project. I haven't even backed up before since I'm doing this on my old iPhone. I always set up as a new phone in iTunes. Always used the unlocked version of whited00r.

I have now done a new clean install of whited00r after restoring to 4.2.1->upgraded baseband 06.15->downgraded to 05.13.04. After the install was complete I didn't let it sync with iTunes but instead shifted to my working SIM. No updating cydia, scripts or whatnot as your wrote ;)
Rebooted 3 times including one hard reboot. It connected to the carrier. I went into maps and only get an approximate fix. I then made sure bluetooth, wifi and location services was switched off (I dont have any settings for push, haven't done the fix and not interested in push, and no email accounts installed).
I then went into the carrier settings and let the iphone find the carrier again as you told me. Got the 3G mark after the carrier name but in maps - no change. Still just approximate fix which I assume are based on cell tower locations. Strange. Btw thanks for your time and patience.