Author Topic: Free eBooks + Reader App Compatible with iOS 3.1.3 & 4.2.1 - iBook Whited00r 6  (Read 56771 times)

January 30, 2013, 04:50:50 PM
Read 56771 times

Arxa

• Information Offline
  • Whited00r User
    • View Profile
PierreP moderator edit: Sadly since Feb. 14, 2013 BAM Reader in iTunes is not compatible anymore with iPod Touch 1G & 2G nor with iPhone 2G & 3G as it requires iPhone 3GS or newer and iOS 4.3 or later.  :-\

Original post:

I found today BAM Reader which can read *.epub files and Adobe EBooks!

You can find free books here:

1. http://manybooks.net/statistics_weekly.php

I will add more links for free books soon and a tutorial how to transfer your books into the application :)

PierreP Moderator note: Splitted from the old thread, edited the new thread's title to add relevant keywords as described in Whited00r 6: Tips to Quickly Solve your Problems/Bugs & Get Answers FAST! and also stickied it (it means an important thread pinned at the top of the forum list) because of valuable free eBooks and free ebooks reader iBook alternative apps compatible with iOS 3.1.3 & iOS 4.2.1 links contained in it

January 30, 2013, 06:05:42 PM
Reply #1

PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Information Offline
  • SuperHero Member
  • Administrator
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Windows
You can download Stanza from the App Time Machine which you can only access via the App Market in Whited00r 6 & it is about 259 times better than BAM IMO.  ;)

That cracked Stanza version 3.1 is a great iBook alternative and supports the eBook formats EPUB, eReader, MS LIT, Amazon Kindle, Mobipocket, and PalmDoc, as well as general document formats HTML, PDF, MS Word, and Rich Text Format.

January 30, 2013, 08:11:49 PM
Reply #2

momircar11

• Information Offline
  • SuperHero Member
  • Whited00r User
    • View Profile
Wait...... I have Stanza installed on WD  :o

You have Stanza in AppTimeMachine!
iPhone 3G (8GB) - WD 6.0

February 27, 2013, 08:03:20 PM
Reply #3

sosushi2

• Information Offline
  • Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPod Touch 1G
It's not free books that I'm looking for with the Kindle app... It's MY books  :-X ...  When my Ipod Touch updated this past week, so did the Kindle app and I can no longer browse my books stored in The Cloud on Amazon from my Ipod Touch 1G with 3.1.3.  Amazon says Apple will no longer allow them to make the old app available  :-\  If anyone has the old one or knows where I could find it, I'd really appreciate it.

Yes, but Stanza does not connect with my downloaded and purchased books on Amazon.  Only the Kindle app does that.  :-\

February 27, 2013, 10:01:24 PM
Reply #4

PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Information Offline
  • SuperHero Member
  • Administrator
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
It's not free books that I'm looking for with the Kindle app... It's MY books  :-X ...  When my Ipod Touch updated this past week, so did the Kindle app and I can no longer browse my books stored in The Cloud on Amazon from my Ipod Touch 1G with 3.1.3.  Amazon says Apple will no longer allow them to make the old app available  :-\  If anyone has the old one or knows where I could find it, I'd really appreciate it.

I would suggest to learn how to fish instead of asking for one.  ;)

Try the tips & tricks I posted here: [Tutorial] whited00r 6 How-To Find iOS 3.1.3 Compatible Apps - iTunes Filter 3.x

All my ebooks are stored locally on my computer, managed with the free awesome Calibre eBook manager (versions for Windows, Mac & Linux) then I use the free iTools (Mac or Windows) to copy them to my iPhone 3G in the folder /var/mobile/Applications/Stanza/Documents (but you can setup Calibre for doing that automatically too if you wish) and the free iOS 3.1.3 compatible Stanza app, a great iBook alternative, that I downloaded from App Time Machine (exclusive perk of WD 6 is the access to that mysterious Store) and it works great on my iPhone 3G running Whited00r 6. Highly recommended by me!  ;)

I know that Stanza 3.1 can fetch eBooks on the web so maybe the ones in your Amazon's account too. I don't know so try this search & please be cool and report back here so to help other Whited00r users with the same problem: "stanza" "3.1" amazon "library"

Because that compatible cracked Stanza iBook alternative supports the eBook formats Amazon Kindle, EPUB, eReader, MS LIT, Mobipocket, and PalmDoc, as well as general document formats HTML, PDF, MS Word, and Rich Text Format.

I do not know how Amazon eBooks works but if you can download them to your computer and you have problems reading them in your iPhone 3G, Calibre open source has some awesome plugins including several free Calibre DRM Removal Tools plugins that are easy to find on the interwebs.

So you could download your eBooks with Kindle or whatever and cracked them so you could use your paid for eBooks on your paid for own iPhone 3G!

Thank you Apple & Amazon for making using the stuff WE paid for so difficult to use when we want on whatever device we want to use.  >:(

And that's why I am a Whited00r fan and joined the WD team 2 months ago because THEY support us and don't even make any money for doing it.  :)

February 27, 2013, 10:27:53 PM
Reply #5

PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Information Offline
  • SuperHero Member
  • Administrator
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
  Internet Archive archive.org - Over 2.5 million free titles > Ebook and Texts Archive

Internet Archive is a non-profit dedicated to offering permanent access to historical collections that exist in digital format. Provides over 2.5 million free ebooks to read, download, and enjoy.

1. Visit archive.org or go directly to: http://archive.org/details/texts

2. Search for a title or browse one of the sub-collections like Project Gutenberg, Biodiversity Heritage Library, American Libraries, etc, etc!

Open Library - The World's classic literature at your fingertips.        Over 1,000,000 free ebook titles available.

Open Library's goal is to provide a page on the web for every book ever published.

1. Visit http://openlibrary.org/

2. Search for a title and make sure to check the 'Only show eBooks' checkbox.

ManyBooks.net - the best ebooks at the best price: free!

Over 26,000 free titles - ManyBooks.net provides free ebooks as a service to the Internet community at large.

1. Visit http://manybooks.net/

2. Search for a title or browse by genre.

Use the meta search engine Torrentz.eu with the keywords: ebook epub

If you do not know how to download torrents, check WD's [Tutorial] How to use Bittorrent

February 28, 2013, 05:27:34 AM
Reply #6

sosushi2

• Information Offline
    • View Profile
 :)  Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed reply PierreP.... I will certainly be using your links in the future.

Stanza did not work to access my books, but I will most definitely post here if I find an alternative solution or a source for the old Kindle app.  (I am able to access my Amazon books from a number of other devices, just not the Ipod Touch 1G)   

I second your enthusiasm for Calibre.. it is an excellent tool for reading, converting, sending books to your device, organizing etc. etc.

February 28, 2013, 03:05:33 PM
Reply #7

PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Information Offline
  • SuperHero Member
  • Administrator
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
:)  Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed reply PierreP.... I will certainly be using your links in the future.

Stanza did not work to access my books, but I will most definitely post here if I find an alternative solution or a source for the old Kindle app.  (I am able to access my Amazon books from a number of other devices, just not the Ipod Touch 1G)   

I second your enthusiasm for Calibre.. it is an excellent tool for reading, converting, sending books to your device, organizing etc. etc.

Thanks for the thanks.  8)

I think that you are looking to solve your problem the wrong way.  ;)   Don't waste your time trying to find a compatible app that will read your Kindle eBooks on iPod Touch 1G/2G and iPhone 2G/3G.

You know that Amazon & Apple/iTunes want to keep you inside their fenced garden, right? You are the cow making milk for them so they don't want you to be free and wander around.

So the best instead IMO is to find a way to download them to your computer, then remove the DRM (crack them) with the Calibre cracking plugins and then you can do whatever you want with the Kindle eBooks that you paid for.

I don't have time @ the present to try to find a solution for you but try keywords variations of these web searches as I am sure that you are not the first person being frustrated by that problem:

how to download Amazon eBooks and remove DRM

how to download Amazon eBooks to your computer

And please, please report here with your solution for using Kindle books on iPod Touch 1G or iPhone 3G iOS 3.1.3!  ;)

February 28, 2013, 03:49:53 PM
Reply #8

sosushi2

• Information Offline
    • View Profile
 :) 

I guess I'm not making myself clear..... I can retrieve my books with other devices and download them and put them onto my Ipod Touch 1G in a variety of ways.... I haven't lost them... what I have lost is the ability to put my Ipod Touch 1G into my pocket,  go out into the world,  and be able to access (using any Wifi connection) the library that I have built on Amazon.  I love its size and portability, but I refuse to spend upwards of $400.00 to replace it, when the only problem I have with it is that the new Kindle app isn't supported.

DRM is not an issue for me.. I've been using the Calibre addon since it became available and I also have a standalone app just for that purpose.  I really do understand what you are saying... but we are talking about two different issues..

I haven't given up.... fishing is how I ended up here on your extremely helpful site, with a jailbroken Ipod Touch 1G   ;)

February 28, 2013, 06:25:17 PM
Reply #9

PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Information Offline
  • SuperHero Member
  • Administrator
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile

I guess I'm not making myself clear..... I can retrieve my books with other devices and download them and put them onto my Ipod Touch 1G in a variety of ways.... I haven't lost them... what I have lost is the ability to put my Ipod Touch 1G into my pocket,  go out into the world,  and be able to access (using any Wifi connection) the library that I have built on Amazon.

I love its size and portability, but I refuse to spend upwards of $400.00 to replace it, when the only problem I have with it is that the new Kindle app isn't supported...

I haven't given up.... fishing is how I ended up here on your extremely helpful site, with a jailbroken iPod Touch 1G   ;)

I guess I'm not making myself clear... - Yes you did and that is why I am trying to show workarounds for you and other Whited00r users.  ;)

...lost is the ability to put my iPod Touch 1G into my pocket... access (using any Wifi connection) the library that I have built on Amazon.  ...I refuse to spend upwards of $400.00 to replace it, when the only problem I have with it is that the new Kindle app isn't supported - What you do not understand is Apple's and Amazon Planned Obsolescence marketing strategy.

They want you to get rid of your perfectly good working old iPod Touch 1G/2G or iPhone 2G/3G and buy news devices from them. So that is why they are removing systematically from iTunes all the old apps versions compatible with iOS 4.2.1 and all the new versions are requiring iPod Touch 3G and iPhone 3GS and newer.  >:(

And that is precisely why Whited00r was created! From the About - What is Whited00r page: Here you will find full support for all ARMv6 family Apple devices: iPhone 2G-3G, iPod Touch 1G-2G.

And we don't make any money doing that custom iOS firmware because it is free.

And that is also precisely why AppTimeMachine.com was created by a group totally independent from Whited00r. We don't know who they are but they are doing a pretty darn good job IMO in preserving all those essential compatible apps that iTunes is taking offline (eBay, Facebook, Skype, Instagram, WhatsApp, Dropbox, etc, etc, the list is way too long to post here!) and they were cool enough to give us exclusive access to their Store of old free cracked apps directly from the custom WD 6 App Market we created. I guess they like our Whited00r iOS jailbroken and unlocked firmware and forum community.  8)

The easiest is to forget having access to your Amazon library via cloud and do what I described above: local eBooks & transfer to iPod Touch or iPhone.

Now here is my workaround to have all my eBooks, music, etc in the cloud and access them on my iPhone 3G over the air because you know maybe that the Apple/iTunes iCloud app was made not compatible on purpose with our old & good working devices: requires iOS 5 or later on iPhone 3GS or later, iPod touch (3rd generation or later).  :(

1- Get a free Dropbox account if you don't already have one.

2- Get the free Dropbox v1.4.6 app from App Time Machine.

3- Crack your eBooks as described above and convert them to .pdf with Calibre and drag & drop them to the eBook folder you created in your Dropbox account.

Why convert them to .pdf? Because that Dropbox v1.4.6 app for iOS does not let you view natively .epub nor download them nor download them if you rar that .epub but works fine with pdf and Stanza can read it fine.

I also tried to share my Dropbox eBook folder link via email to myself & opened it with the iOS Mail app and clicking on the link opens the Dropbox folder in Safari from wich you can normally open the shared Dropbox folder and download directly from it but Safari returned an error saying that it cannot download it.  :(

But for Music and all Dropbox app natively compatible files, you can open them (listen to music stream via WiFi or 3G Data for example!) or download them locally on your iPhone or iPod Touch.

Dropbox Native file types supported

There are a number of file formats that can be opened natively on the iPhone and iPod Touch by simply selecting the file from the file browser. You can view these in the Dropbox app by simply tapping them from the primary Dropbox tab.

• Images (.jpg, .tiff, .gif)
  • Music (.mp3, .aiff, .m4a, .wav)
  • Movies (.mov, .mp4, .m4v)
  • Microsoft Word documents (.doc, .docx)
  • Microsoft PowerPoint presentations (.ppt, .pptx)
  • Microsoft Excel spreadsheets (.xls, .xlsx)
  • Adobe PDF (.pdf)
  • Keynote presentations (.key)
  • Pages documents (.pages)
  • Numbers spreadsheets (.numbers)
  • Web pages (.htm, .html)
  • Text and rich-text files (.txt, .rtf, and many more)

Video on Dropbox: When converting using something other than iTunes or the Handbrake presets mentioned above, you'll need to meet specific criteria. The Dropbox iPhone app can play the following iPhone-compatible movie types:

• H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC stereo audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, in .mov, .mp4 and .m4v file formats
  • H.264 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 3.0 with AAC-LC stereo audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz,  in .mov, .mp4 and .m4v file formats
  • MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC stereo audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz,  in .mov, .mp4 and .m4v file formats

When I find some free time, I want to make a Dropbox tutorial in this forum. Hopefully soon;)

If you insist on trying to find a iOS 3.1.3 compatible app to read your Amazon Kindle books directly from Amazon cloud then I suggest you create a specific thread with that precise question. It is a fool's errand IMO.  :-\

Sorry but as far as I know Amazon decided to make that impossible on our older devices.

You should complain to them about that IMO like our community effort about WhatsApp that partially made them back off: [50% Solved] WhatsApp WD6 Problem - Partially Working Update!

March 02, 2013, 12:20:01 AM
Reply #10

sosushi2

• Information Offline
    • View Profile
Found it  :)

If anyone else would like to be able to access their Amazon libraries from their Ipod Touch 1G  Google Download Amazon Kindle apk 2. I downloaded version 2.8.1, ran my virus program on it  :P then dropped it onto the Ipod Touch in iTools.

Now we can build a library on our computer at Our convenience instead of Apples.

Thanks for all of the help PierreP  :)

March 02, 2013, 02:45:16 AM
Reply #11

PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Information Offline
  • SuperHero Member
  • Administrator
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
Found it  :)

If anyone else would like to be able to access their Amazon libraries from their Ipod Touch 1G  Google Download Amazon Kindle apk 2. I downloaded version 2.8.1, ran my virus program on it  :P then dropped it onto the Ipod Touch in iTools.

Now we can build a library on our computer at Our convenience instead of Apples.

Thanks for all of the help PierreP  :)

Thanks... I think but your screen captures are microscopic, could you include a link to the file you downloaded and a better description of the steps you did exactly please? It's Karma man.  ;)

One of the reason is that many of our users are newbies and several of them use Google Translate so a laconic how-to is not very useful for them.

BTW what is your computer's OS? Mac or Windows?

Thanks for your time.

March 07, 2013, 08:09:24 AM
Reply #12

slickme2

• Information Offline
    • View Profile
Hey guys, I'm a newbie to the entire forum.

I do use Stanza. I found a few  public OPDS catalogues that still work and you can get quite a few titles on them. However, they're all pretty old books, some of them are classics too.
Anyways, for those interested here are a few links. On stanza, go in this order:
Get Books --> Shared--> Edit --> Add Book Source --> Type in the name and url (given below) ---->Select "OPDS Calalog". And you're good to go!  :D

1: Bookglutton
http://bookglutton.com/api/stanza

2: Smashwords
http://www.smashwords.com/lexcycle/

3: O'Reilly
http://catalog.oreilly.com/stanza/main.xml

4: Gutenberg (Personal favourite)
http://m.gutenberg.org/

Enjoy  :D :D

PierreP Moderator note: Edited thread title to add relevant keywords as described in Whited00r 6: Tips to Quickly Solve your Problems/Bugs & Get Answers FAST!

March 07, 2013, 04:06:33 PM
Reply #13

PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Information Offline
  • SuperHero Member
  • Administrator
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
Hey guys, I'm a newbie to the entire forum.

I do use Stanza. I found a few  public OPDS catalogues that still work and you can get quite a few titles on them. However, they're all pretty old books, some of them are classics too.
Anyways, for those interested here are a few links. On stanza, go in this order:
Get Books --> Shared--> Edit --> Add Book Source --> Type in the name and url (given below) ---->Select "OPDS Calalog". And you're good to go!  :D

1: Bookglutton
http://bookglutton.com/api/stanza

2: Smashwords
http://www.smashwords.com/lexcycle/

3: O'Reilly
http://catalog.oreilly.com/stanza/main.xml

4: Gutenberg (Personal favourite)
http://m.gutenberg.org/

Enjoy  :D :D

Welcome to the Whited00r forum!  ;)

Thank you slickme2 for sharing your links and making this mini How-to get free eBooks in Stanza over the air.   8)  So +1 Internets for you for giving back to the Whited00r community.

A must read for all new Whited00r users is the sticky (it means an important thread pinned at the top of the forum list) Whited00r 6 - FAQ & Troubleshooting - READ BEFORE POSTING! with answers to many questions you might have.

July 07, 2013, 02:19:53 PM
Reply #14

mackerm

• Information Offline
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPod Touch 2G
  • My Computer: Mac
Update by Mackerm, August 16, 2013: BeyondPrint Reader and IDCL Reader are no longer compatible with iOS 4.2.1

Project Gutenberg has a MobileReader Devices How-To which lists four EPUB readers for iOS. The sad fact is that none of them work on iOS 4.2.1, let alone 3.1.3. Another fact is that few schools and libraries are going to endorse jailbreaking.

BAM Reader, the first post in this thread, had one advantage - it was available in the iTunes store. Now it's incompatible as well. So I got to work looking for EPUB readers in the iTunes store which still work with the older devices. Here are my preliminary results.

iDCL Reader
BeyondPrint Reader

These are two apps I tried out in my iPod Touch 2nd Gen, and found to be compatible with Project Gutenberg. They are both based on the same basic software called Bluefire, and both only require iOS 3.0.

One usage note: neither of these apps have a link to the Gutenberg site; I assume this is a result of the kerfuffle where Apple made Amazon remove links in the Kindle app. What it means is you have to use Safari to go to the Gutenberg site, and tap the EPUB version of the book you want. The book will open in the reader, and from there it works great.

Using a technique in How-To Find iOS 3.1.3 4.1 4.2.1 Compatible Apps + iTunes Filter (specifically, iOSSearch) I did a search for "EPUB" and found that there were many other candidates in the iTunes store that schools and libraries might actually endorse.

When I've tried a few more, I plan to update this post.

PierreP Moderator note: Edited the post's title to add relevant keywords as described in Whited00r 6: Tips to Quickly Solve your Problems/Bugs & Get Answers FAST! and added a link.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 05:00:45 AM by mackerm »