Author Topic: Free eBooks + Reader App Compatible with iOS 3.1.3 & 4.2.1 - iBook Whited00r 6  (Read 89653 times)

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Windows
Re: Free eBooks Reader Apps Compatible in iTunes & Calibre
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 03:14:43 PM »
...BAM Reader, the first post in this thread, had one advantage - it was available in the iTunes store. Now it's incompatible as well...

...So I got to work looking for EPUB readers in the iTunes store which still work with the older devices. Here are my preliminary results...

Thank you mackerm for helping other Whited00r Forum users with finding compatible eBooks Readers in iTunes.   8)  So +1 Internets for you for giving back to the Whited00r community.

"...BAM Reader, the first post in this thread, had one advantage - it was available in the iTunes store. Now it's incompatible as well." - Good to know, I updated the post #1 with that info.  :-\

If you are a Whited00r 6 user, you could try the free Stanza v3.1 app that you can find in App Time Machine as described above. It's a really good EPUB and other formats ebook reader app and works great in tandem (via USB or WiFi) with the free open source Calibre ebook management software that you can use on your computer. They also have a free Mac compatible version: http://calibre-ebook.com/download_osx

And check the collection of useful plugins for Calibre as well as their excellent searchable FAQ.

Calibre supports the conversion of many input formats to many output formats. It can convert every input format in the following list, to every output format.

Input Formats: CBZ, CBR, CBC, CHM, DJVU, DOCX, EPUB, FB2, HTML, HTMLZ, LIT, LRF, MOBI, ODT, PDF, PRC, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ

Output Formats: AZW3, EPUB, FB2, OEB, LIT, LRF, MOBI, HTMLZ, PDB, PML, RB, PDF, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ

If you are not a Whited00r 6 user (why not?  :o) you can search the web for this cracked .ipa that works fine on iOS 3.1.3 and above that you can install via the free iPhone/iPod browsers/managers (Windows & Mac) iTools (no install standalone software & ad free & you can use it to transfer eBooks to your device in the Stanza/Documents folder as illustrated below) or iFunBox (with ads, requires installation) and maybe with iTunes too but I never tried it: Stanza-v3.1-cinnocent.ipa

Amazon Bought & Killed Stanza so it's fair game to link to that old compatible cracked version IMO just like App Time Machine does by preserving old iOS 3.1.3 and newer compatible apps that Apple/iTunes is removing systematically from their servers to push sales of newer devices.  >:(

Offline Arseph09

• View Profile
  • Device: Does Not Own iDevice ARMv6
Stanza don't work anymore or much I say doesn't work on mine. I can download it but when I open the epubs I transferred to it using iTools, it shows "(null)" into each pages.
~Open a WINDOW, eat an APPLE, CHROME some metal, watch an OPERA, make a SAFARI, hunt a FIREFOX, and be an EXPLORER~

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
Are you sure the epubs are valid/complete downloads?

Offline Arseph09

• View Profile
Are you sure the epubs are valid/complete downloads?

Yes I've been reading those on my lost Android phone and I was also able to open it using Calibre on my laptop. I have 4 books which are with the same epub format (downloaded them from the same source), neither works all shows like that.

PS: I forgot to mention that I am using WD7
~Open a WINDOW, eat an APPLE, CHROME some metal, watch an OPERA, make a SAFARI, hunt a FIREFOX, and be an EXPLORER~

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
It could be a permissions issue maybe, can you right click on the epub files in iTools and either look for "Permissions/Ownerships" or else "Properties" and then the permissions and ownerships and make sure they are either set to "0775" for the permissions (if it uses numbers), or read, write, execute (probably don't need the execute there...), if it gives those options instead.  Set that for user, group, and world.  Then, for ownerships if it even gives that option, make it mobile for the user, and mobile for the world.

Offline Arseph09

• View Profile
It could be a permissions issue maybe, can you right click on the epub files in iTools and either look for "Permissions/Ownerships" or else "Properties" and then the permissions and ownerships and make sure they are either set to "0775" for the permissions (if it uses numbers), or read, write, execute (probably don't need the execute there...), if it gives those options instead.  Set that for user, group, and world.  Then, for ownerships if it even gives that option, make it mobile for the user, and mobile for the world.

Okay gotta try those stuff thanks! I just have a final observation on the epubs showing (null) since this may be important. I got one of the books show 1 chapter but its on the middle but only part of that chapter like, 2-5 pages only then shows null again on the last. Nonetheless, I'll try those suggestions the moment I can access my laptop thanks again!

[EDIT]
Where do I find the epubs using iTools? I copied the files to a lot of places I can't recall all and I'm not sure on where of those did it work.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 08:43:01 AM by Arseph09 »

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
Now that's weird, I didn't think Stanza used online information for reading epubs, so it couldn't break with API changes :o  I would have thought an epub being wrong permissions wouldn't work at all, but that seems like it can be read :o

File location seems to be in Stanza's "Documents" directory according to this image:

(so somewhere in /var/mobile/Applications, as the random text won't be the same on your device ;) )

Offline Arseph09

• View Profile
I located it based on the image, and found no ebooks, so I re-copied it there, when I right-click no properties or permission on the options as well as on the properties.

[EDIT]
Tested it and I don't know what happened but out of the 5 books that I have been now trying (both of the same sources as well as formats) I managed to make 1 work but I don't know where it weas placed.

[EDIT1]
I finally managed to open it!!! I just reconverted every epub files to epub using Calibre and sync it to my device via the Shared Media and it opened! Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 09:46:38 AM by Arseph09 »

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
Oh maybe it was a problem with the conversion then :o   Glad it's all working, and thanks for reporting how you did it as well (other people very well could have similar issues) :)

Offline Arseph09

• View Profile
Just for a summary for my problem since this isn't an individual post :)

Problem: Epubs showing (null) content on Stanza app on  WD7.
Solution: Convert the epubs with problem to epub format using Calibre tool and resync the converted files to device.

I think the problem with that is somewhat related to the format of the epubs, the one working on mine shows under ORIGINAL_EPUB on the Calibre while the ones with the problem only shows under EPUB... Thanks bcooperizcool for the help :)

Offline Arseph09

• View Profile
Hey! Anyone got a good pdf opener here? I am using PDF Viewer but it's very laggy and hard to use. Any suggestions?

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
Hey! Anyone got a good pdf opener here? I am using PDF Viewer but it's very laggy and hard to use. Any suggestions?

Does iFile have a built in PDF viewer?  Editing a PDF I don't know of anything for that though, at least for 3.1.3 anyway.

It seems the app you are currently using is the only one for that in the App Time Machine :(

You could search for something using this method:
Whited00r 7 How-To Find iOS 3.1.3 4.1 4.2.1 Compatible Apps + iTunes Filter
but I cannot say how well you will get results with that. :/

Offline arronlee

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
Hi,
When it comes to
PDF conversion probelm. Do you have any suggetion? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Arron