Author Topic: [Solved] Internet/apps not responsive on Whited00r 7 3G - Servers non-responsive  (Read 2889 times)

Offline Helmholtz

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
  • Device: Does Not Own iDevice ARMv6
  • My Computer: Windows
Hi guys, I've been having issues with my iphone 3g's apps for a while now.
My phone's version is 3.1.3 (7E18) and modem firmware 04.26.08. It's unlocked.
Apps like youtube, maps, cydia, and more recently safari, just try to load for a few minutes and eventually bring up a message saying the server didn't respond or something similar. My wifi is connected fine.
I've been having this issue for quite some time and I thought upgrading to whited00r 7 might fix it, but it persists.
If anyone has any idea what steps I might take to fix this I would greatly appreciate any advice. As it is now I can basically only use it as a phone and nothing else. I'm guessing I've made a stupid mistake somewhere along the way but I'm not sure what.
If more information is needed please let me know.
Thanks
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 03:40:23 PM by Bruan »

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Linux
Welcome to the forums :)

Couple things to try/answer,
1. Are you going through a VPN or anything similar on your device? (Proxy, firewall, etc)

2. Do a speedtest if you can, to see what the wifi speed is. 

3. When you restored to whited00r did you set up as a new device in iTunes, or restore from a backup?

4. Do any pages in safari ever load, or any apps at all ever connect?

5. You said you thought upgrading would fix this, what were you on before you installed whited00r 7?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a bigger picture and narrow down the cause :)

Offline Helmholtz

• View Profile
Thanks for the response. I'll try to address those questions as best I can:
Couple things to try/answer,
1. Are you going through a VPN or anything similar on your device? (Proxy, firewall, etc)
Not that I know of.. just trying to connect to internet regularly through my house's wifi. I'd like to note that I used to have no problem using safari on the phone when I was using an older firmware, I want to say 3.0 (it was a while ago).
3. When you restored to whited00r did you set up as a new device in iTunes, or restore from a backup?
I followed the instructions saying to hold shift and restore or whatever.
4. Do any pages in safari ever load, or any apps at all ever connect?
No web pages will load even though my phone says it's connecting to my wifi with a strong signal. Apps like weather, maps, youtube all fail to load. This leads me to believe it's some sort of firmware problem (I'm pretty inexperienced with this stuff so I don't really know)
5. You said you thought upgrading would fix this, what were you on before you installed whited00r 7?
It's been a while since I last messed with the firmware. But I want to say the last thing I did was go from an unlocked 3.0 (what my phone had when I received it from a friend) to 3.1.3  using I think snowbreeze...
Let me know if there's anything else I can provide.
Is there any way I can sort of start over with firmware eg. wipe out what's on it now and start fresh? I'm wondering if doing something like that, essentially a reformat, would fix things back to how they should be. I know that at one point a few years ago my youtube app/cydia etc.. were all working fine. I think everything started to stop working when I messed with the firmware a while back for whatever reason.
Thanks again for your help!

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
Can you check the IP address for me of the device?  Go to Settings -> Wifi and tap the little blue arrow next to the network.  If it starts with "169", then you have a DHCP issue with your router.

The restoring as a new device is after the actual firmware restore (which does reformat the device pretty much. Wipes it out and does a clean slate type install).  The restoring from a backup is a different restore term, which I will admit is confusing :(  Basically, after the device had restored to whited00r, or any iOS in general, it would come up with a screen in iTunes that asks you if you want to set up as a new device, or restore from a backup to get your data back.
Like the image below:

If this just suddenly started happening, do you recall anything that had changed right before this issue came up?

A restore is probably down the line in the troubleshooting to see if it is a hardware issue, but for now lets stick to ruling out the other issues first :)

Offline Helmholtz

• View Profile
The IP address starts with 192, not 169. I'm pretty sure the issue is with the phone and not the router, as nothing has really changed with my internet situation in years and the phone was at one point using wifi enabled apps without issue.
The issues haven't really suddenly started happening, I've been unable to the youtube app/cydia/other basic apps for quite a while, I just haven't tried to do anything about it until now. The only thing that's changed more recently is I now can't use safari (the browser just fails to load any web page) as well, and I don't really know why as I haven't changed anything with my phone.
I wish I was able to provide you with more specific information but sadly I don't think I can. Is my modem firmware of 04.26.08 okay for the firmware I'm trying to use?
The only thing I'm pretty sure of is that I used snowbreeze to get to 3.1.3 a while back, and the issues with apps failing to load my have started around that time.

I think at this point I'd be willing to do a restore or something if it meant there was a good chance it would fix my issues. If you would be able to give me a quick guide on how to do that I'd appreciate it, or of course any other advice is welcome.
Thanks

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
Well that sounds right then for the wifi, you can try restoring to stock 3.1.3 via iTunes, to rule out hardware issues and to also partially upgrade your baseband (04.26.08 is an older one, but should still work.)

You will have to get the 3.1.3 .ipsw for your iPhone from this site: iPhone and iPod touch firmware download site
Would be labeled as "iPhone 3G - 3.1.3".  It is not actually showing up in order for me, it is in between the 4.x releases for the iPhone 3G (but it is still in the section for the iPhone 3G!).

After that downloads, you can then shift+click (hold down shift and click the button) on the restore button in iTunes and navigate to where the downloaded .ipsw is, and select that to start the restore. 

If you need to back up your data first, you can do so via iTunes, and/or via this method as well to get a manual backup of it:
[Tutorial] Backup Apps & Data BEFORE Upgrading iOS Firmware WD 7 3.1.3 4.1 4.2.1

After the restore finishes, make sure you set up as a new device to avoid transferring over any issues that could have been from something you did on an older configuration!

Offline Helmholtz

• View Profile
Okay, I will try this. However, what would be the next steps to unlock the phone so it can use other providers? And after going back to stock 3.1.3, can I go directly to whited00r again?
thanks

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
Okay, I will try this. However, what would be the next steps to unlock the phone so it can use other providers? And after going back to stock 3.1.3, can I go directly to whited00r again?
thanks

You could unlock by jailbreaking the device with redsn0w and using the unlock option, or just restore to whited00r again (may need PWNED DFU mode by using redsn0w 0.9.14b2!), and make sure to set up as a new device.  That would update the baseband at least, restoring to the stock 3.1.3.  Only reason whited00r doesn't do that is because the whited00r firmware has no baseband file, so it just uses the existing baseband on the device.

Offline Helmholtz

• View Profile
I restored to 3.1.3 like you suggested, then restored to whited00r, and everything appears to be working properly! Safari/youtube work fine.
Thank you so much for your assistance.

Offline iTechy21

• Bashing the shell
  • Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Well errr... Stuff :3
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
  • Device: iPod Touch 1G
And thank you for reporting back in this thread as it may help other users with a similar problem.  8)
Don't forget to mark this a solved
Follow me on twitter! | Subscribe to my YouTube Channel! | Follow my blog!
Please Read all the stickies if you're new. And follow the rules, please :)

Offline Helmholtz

• View Profile
Okay, thanks!
Edit: not sure if I market the topic as solved or not (or if I even can), but perhaps one of you can take care of that.

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
Glad to hear it is working, I guess it was just an issue with the baseband, seeing you had that issue before a restore as well!  Certainly something I will keep in mind if I spot anyone else with that baseband :o

I've marked the thread as solved, because we don't have a button to do that anymore ;)