Author Topic: Can't install Redd00r  (Read 8210 times)

Offline zarraza

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
  • Device: Does Not Own iDevice ARMv6
  • My Computer: Windows
Re: cant install redd00r
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 05:53:53 PM »
N00b here with a Q.
i researched redd00r for quite a while but never could get it to work, had a helluva time getting ANY jailbreak from redsn0w to work with my MC iPod touch 2G so after many trials I had to use greenpois0n.
my questions is probably covered SOMEWHERE in this forum but I've done a bit of searching and came up empty.

what I'm wondering now is - is the ch40s utilities something in cydia? is it a standalone app?

I'm fascinated witht he new ARCHETYPE - is that something that is all wrapped up in an IPSW file or is it downloadable after jailbreak?

I've scoured the internet for months for a "jailbreak guide for dummies" but haven't seen anything that was not only a step by step but also a tutorial as to WHY I am doing what I am doing - for all you smart guys out there, do you have any such "guide for dummies" that you could share?
seems all the youtube videos out there for installing redd00r assume your device is already jailbroken, you don't know how long it took me to figure THAT out!!!!

FTR, I got my MC jailbroken with greenpois0n and a downloaded IPSW for 4.2.1 but not sure what to do with it now - my original goal was the features that are in redd00r but since that project doesn't seem to be getting any love anymore, I guess I could switch to ARCHETYPE, but this n00b is just a little unsure where to start with a new project, and if it even works with the MC touch devices!!!!

thanks in advance all, please forgive my ignorance on the subject, and keep up the good work.

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Linux
Re: cant install redd00r
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 06:10:11 PM »
Welcome to the forums :)

I am pretty sure that greensn0w is the correct way to jailbreak the MC model devices, as that is what I did for my brother even to install an old archetype version on it.

So, I don't know of any step by step guide as to why you need to do each step, but I do know of guides that tell you what to do, but I guess you found those ;)

As for Ch40s-Utilities, it is a backend framework for developers that lets them code stuff easily, and in the case of redd00r and archetype, execute shell code, use ota updates and a bunch of other things (although the executing code is not going to be used as much as I learned obj-c, but new developers could learn it with it).   The goal of it is to provide one tool for the developers needs instead of making a bunch of hackey launchers to execute code and such.  Dynamic and things I guess ;)

Archetype is something you download after you are jailbroken, and it is compatible with every firmware and device, although seeing it is beta, there are some workarounds on some devices and firmwares to get it working ;)

That being said, I think the install on the iPod touch 2G is fine, although the multitasking doesn't work because I forgot to put in a couple lines of code to make it work properly (it still shows up, but will crash you when you try to switch apps).

To install Archetype, you have to be jailbroken, which you are, so you just go to Cydia and add in the repo for it and install it (it will take ages to install because of all the code it runs, but the end result is amazing :) ).   Make sure you do not have the repod00r repo or the redd00r repo added in Cydia as that will stop you being able to install mobile substrate!.

Offline applepie

• Redd00r Developer
  • Developer
  • SuperHero Member
  • Dormant Beast
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPod Touch 2G
  • My Computer: Mac
Re: Can't install Redd00r
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 11:42:10 PM »
I know the problem..I remember I put an old version of mobile substrate on my repo due to a weird incompatibility with the current version and the silly "Redd00r Base Firmware iPhone 3g". Anyhow if you still wish to use it....you need to remove the repo..install MobileSubstrate FIRST then add the repo and install.

Also opposite goes for Ch40s-Utilities. Unfortuantly redd00r hasn't been updated to use the latest versions of ch40s utilities. So you'll have to use the version on the redd00r repo (~1 year old). Sadly, this means you won't be able to use any newer tweaks that use the newer ch40s utilities....

Offline superbeak

• Bl4ck0ut Admin/Chicken
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 2G
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 02:49:43 AM »
Hopefully the redd00r update wont even use ch40s. Given the power of bundles and the like. :D

Offline AnimateDread

• SuperHero Member
  • Learning developer
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPod Touch 1G
  • My Computer: Windows
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 05:21:15 AM »
Hopefully the redd00r update wont even use ch40s. Given the power of bundles and the like. :D
That should be there since the start (as I saw, applepie is pretty good in obj c)
Soutient en Francais ici

Offline applepie

• Redd00r Developer
  • Developer
  • SuperHero Member
  • Dormant Beast
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPod Touch 2G
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2013, 06:20:00 AM »
That should be there since the start (as I saw, applepie is pretty good in obj c)
I could make the whole thing in objc...but when I was working on it we already had scripts made from older (unrealeased) versions of a configurator gui..so it was easier to just use those scripts and have the app just run those than remaking it in objc. in addition, ch40s utils had some useful things like ota updates and a function to launch an app upon boot up (which was used to launch the config app after restarting after installing the redd00r package) that I would have to code myself in objc if I didn't use ch40s utilities.

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Linux
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2013, 03:53:31 PM »
I could make the whole thing in objc...but when I was working on it we already had scripts made from older (unrealeased) versions of a configurator gui..so it was easier to just use those scripts and have the app just run those than remaking it in objc. in addition, ch40s utils had some useful things like ota updates and a function to launch an app upon boot up (which was used to launch the config app after restarting after installing the redd00r package) that I would have to code myself in objc if I didn't use ch40s utilities.

The configurator was still better done in shell because of the massive amounts of file system moving to be done :( 

Using obj-c to execute code is a smart thing to do though ;)