Author Topic: GPS don't work on WD (3.1.3) BB 5.13.04, can't downgrade BB to 5.12.01 either!  (Read 4846 times)

Offline Lovaduck

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Windows
2013-05-06 PierreP moderator note: his device is an iPhone 3G Factory Unlocked so there is no need to upgrade & downgrade the modem firmware (a.k.a. baseband or bb) to carrier unlock. In that case, simply install Whited00r 6 Normal version on top of stock iOS 4.2.1 installed with iTunes as per the whited00r Tutorial - Installation

Original post:

Hello all, thanks to the authors for providing such a fine piece of custom firmware!

Here's my problem. I have downgraded my iPhone 3g from baseband 6.15.00 to 5.13.04 using Redsn0w.

I tried the downgrade to 5.12.01 BB tutorial from this site and I cannot get to the point where the BB version information is blanked out on the About page. To be honest that happened once, but I missed my chance then. I have upgraded to iPad basebad, downgraded, then restored ios 3.1.3 more than 20 times, no luck! Crazy...

Is there a secret on how to get to the "null" BB status? Why is my restore to ios 3.1.3 not downgrading? Should it? I believe once you upgrade, then the BB stays at that level, and that is what I have seen. I don't have blobs for 3.1.3 but I understand those are not needed to restore 3.1.3 as I have verified, but dunno about the BB, maybe can't downgrade BB without blobs?

Thanks for any help. This phone GPS works just fine with 4.2.1, it is only with the lower versions that it fails. Makes sense, because it came out with ios 4.0.1 !!! So it might be somehow incompatible.

Thanks for any comments, or tricks that may make this work!

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
I think downgrading to 05.13.04 baseband will do for you, you don't need to get it lower :)   (assuming you are trying to get whited00r working with GPS)

Offline Lovaduck

• View Profile
Thank for your answers guys!

tLustej.miCin I can downgrade to 5.13.04 so I don't think the BB chip is the problem.

bcooperizcool Well, I did it a million times already, with BB 5.13.04, GPS works just fine on iOS 4.2.1 or unmodified iOS 4.1. It does not work on vanilla iOS 3.3.1, doesn't work on Whited00r 5 or 6, and it doesn't work on the modified for Redd00r iOS 4.1 (who claims to be 4.3.2). In all these cases, I don't get the arrow on the top right indicating location services are active. I do get it to show just fine with vanilla 4.1 or 4.2.1

I am lost on this, really. It should work out of the box, it does with other 3G iphones.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 09:18:24 PM by Lovaduck »

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
Does the location work through only wifi?

Oh! Also, what version of whited00r are you using?  Normal or unlocked?  It will say in the firmware file you downloaded either N (for normal) or U (for unlocked).

Offline Lovaduck

• View Profile
Nope, I get a hard failure, it says "Unable to determine location" and that's it. Shows the USA map only (I am waaaayyy south from there LOL!)

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
Nope, I get a hard failure, it says "Unable to determine location" and that's it. Shows the USA map only (I am waaaayyy south from there LOL!)

What about whited00r version (normal or unlocked)?

Offline Lovaduck

• View Profile
Neither one, tried both. Phone is factory unlocked!

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
Have you looked at this thread?  Looks like they were having the same issue as you:

There are lots of things to try to do in that thread, although I believe his issue turned out to be that he had no satellites in his area :o
Whited00r 6 - GPS problem iPhone 3G Baseband 05.13.04

Offline Lovaduck

• View Profile
Yes indeed, and I tried all of the, modified the location plist using instructions from another forum, quite a few things. It just doesn't work. It seems to me the location daemon dies soon after starting.
I have given up on installing 3.3.1 or Whitedoor on this phone, simply installed iOS 4.2.1, did jailbreak and added a few simple things, and it works acceptably well. It is just puzzling the way it fails. Interesting that 4.1 standard works, but the pre-jailbroken version with Redd00r support, fails too!

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
That is really really unusual :/  I wish I could find a connection between everyone having this sort of issue :/ 

Anyway, if you are still looking for some form of a custom firmware, you could always try out Archetype on 4.2.1. It doesn't require a custom firmware, and instead is only a .deb you install from cydia :)  (it has the whited00r 5 features and more, but sadly not the whited00r 6 ones).

Offline Lovaduck

• View Profile
Now that's a good one! Thanks, will give it a try!!! Great work by the way, whited00r rocks!

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
Re: Google Maps Not Showing Arrow near Clock
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 01:14:29 AM »
...It does not work on vanilla iOS 3.3.1, doesn't work on Whited00r 5 or 6, and it doesn't work on the modified for Redd00r iOS 4.1 (who claims to be 4.3.2). In all these cases, I don't get the arrow on the top right indicating location services are active...

Older Google Maps does not show that arrow top right near the clock in iOS 3.1.3 or Whited00r 6 even if the GPS location is working fine as tested on my iPhone 3G.

Use MotionX-GPS or GPG Kit > Dashboard instead to know for sure if GPS is working or not. See post: App to Test GPS -MotionX Better than Google Maps

...I tried all of the, modified the location plist using instructions from another forum...

We are trying to solve this GPS issue. Could you post a link to that thread about modifying the com.apple.locationd.plist please?

BTW see the note that I added to your original post in this thread about Factory Unlocked iPhone 3G.