Author Topic: How to restore iPhone 3G to default 4.2.1 software?  (Read 5466 times)

Offline -torko-

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Windows
How to restore iPhone 3G to default 4.2.1 software?
« on: May 10, 2013, 06:43:27 PM »
Hi, I have bought an iPhone 3G that has Whited00r installed (iPhone OS 3.1.3), but I want to put it back to normal if it's possible. Then I want to get the 4.2 update using the original download from iTunes. Also the unlock button isn't working. Can you PLEASE make a step by step tutorial how to do all this. It doesn't have to be a step by step tutorial if you're kinda lazy but at least hint me how to do it. Thanks!  ;)

Edit by bcooperizcool to reword the title a little bit to help in future searches for this :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 06:55:13 PM by bcooperizcool »

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
Re: iPhone 3G restoring default software.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 06:54:32 PM »
Welcome to the forums :)

To restore to stock 4.2.1, it is fairly simple to do.  First off, I will need to know your current baseband (modem) version, which you can find out either by using f0rcast as posted here: WD 6: Tips to Quickly Solve your Problems/Bugs & Get Answers FAST! or just by going into Settings -> General -> About -> Baseband on your device :)

After that, I can tell you the needed steps to restore to stock 4.2.1 :)

Offline matalic

• Iphone 3G - 4.2.1
    • View Profile
Re: How to restore iPhone 3G to default 4.2.1 software?
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 03:04:31 AM »
i have made a tutorial. but I don't know if I can put this in the tutorial section of whited00r forums/?? can i???

This is the complete guide to get a fully operational and fast iPhone 3G with 4.2.1 with push.
I recommend this over Whited00r ONLY if you want apps that are for iOS 4 to 4.2.1. Iím lucky that I have backups of all my apps from when I backed them up in 2011.

Pre-step: Use iTools to back up all of your things. However, for me, I only need to back up apps, photos, sms, notes, contacts, call history & bookmarks. Check Step 7 for more info.

Step 1: Use redsn0w_win_0.9.6rc14 or redsn0w 0.9.6b5 and run as administrator. Select multitasking and wallpapers now if u want them. Use iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw and click update ipad baseband in the options Ė it will download the appropriate ipad baseband by itself.

Step 2: Update and let Cydia load. Add your repos. I use insanely, sinful, thebigboss, modmyi, repo666.ultrasn0w.com, xsellize, 

Step 3: Download Daemon Tools and install it (thatís all you need to do)

Step 4: Install Springtomize from the sinfuliphone repo. This app is great at removing features that will speed up your iphone a lot. Go into (Settings > Springtomize) and apply these tweaks

General - Disable Spotlight ON
Icons - Hide Shadow ON
Icons - Disable Jittering ON (Optional, but makes moving apps easier)
Dock - Hide Icons Reflection ON
Lockscreen - Slider - Custom Sting ON (leave the custom string empty) - In my experience this makes the lockscreen less laggy upon waking up from sleep
Folders - Remove Animation ON
App Switcher - Start Editing ON (Allows the multitasking Apps to automatically appear with an 'X' icon to remove from the multitasking tray)
Animations - Custom Duration ON (Have the slider bar almost all the way to the left) This option determines the speed of the animations that iOS makes, for example when moving through settings options.

Even though you are able to 'enable' homescreen wallpapers and multitasking in Springtomize, I ran into some difficulty enabling homescreen wallpapers via springtomize. After i enabled it in the springtomize settings area, I would not be able to choose what my homescreen wallpaper was (It stayed on the default waterdrop one). So if you want homescreen wallpapers and multitasking, it is important to select these features when jailbreaking via redsn0w.

Step 5: Make sure that to make your device even faster, you remove all of the Spotlight indexing options in Settings (Settings > Spotlight Search), and to turn MMS off.

Step 6: Install SBS settings. This is so convenient as I donít have a power button. But use it to get the Ďfree processesí feature. Use this if youíre starting to get slow.

Step 7: Use iTools to place your backed up stuff onto your new iPhone.

Step 8: PUSH:  Get a $1.00 push certificate from ipushfixer.com (Whited00r supported!!) Then follow the steps here using INJECT & NIMBLE to place the push certificates on your phone. www.cmdshft.ipwn.me/blog/?p=787
Notes:

I usually reboot my phone every few days. I donít know why but after I do this the phone is like new. Hard Reset is not necessary however some people do this.

IMPORTANT FOR MULTITASKING: If you want multitasking to properly work, you will need to edit the plist file via SSH or iFile. Help on how to do this is available here (FIX: How to make Multitasking work in ios4.2.1 without crashing - SiNfuL iPhone) www.sinfuliphone.com/showthread.php?t=50883

Also, to be even faster you could delete the language packs. http://dailyiphoneblog.com/2012/02/07/remove-unnecessary-languagekeyboard-files-to-increase-system-memory/
Basically, get syscleanpro and mobileterminal then delete away.

iPhone 3G - Redsn0w iOS 4.2.1

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 03:25:00 AM »
That wont help if the baseband is too high though, which is why I asked that first ;)  Nice tutorial though, you should make a post about it :)

Offline matalic

• Iphone 3G - 4.2.1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 08:05:30 AM »
actually, it's just a reminder for myself when I need to restore my iPhone... am I allowed to post this tutorial? Because it's not a whited00r related tutorial, but it's definitely suitable for 3G 4.2.1 users, whom don't really have a forum. Also, in my tutorial I use 'icleaner pro' i forgot to mention it.

turko ... you said your unlock button doesn't work? are you referring to the power button or the home button? I don't have the power button, so I use Activator to use my volume/silent button as the power button.

Also, 4.2 can be found anywhere online... u search for it. then use redsn0w to install it.

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 01:42:39 PM »
You can post it in the free forum if you like, as that has no topic :)

Offline -torko-

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 02:05:44 PM »
Welcome to the forums :)

To restore to stock 4.2.1, it is fairly simple to do.  First off, I will need to know your current baseband (modem) version, which you can find out either by using f0rcast as posted here: WD 6: Tips to Quickly Solve your Problems/Bugs & Get Answers FAST! or just by going into Settings -> General -> About -> Baseband on your device :)

After that, I can tell you the needed steps to restore to stock 4.2.1 :)

Thanks and...
I just realised that Whited00r not only jailbreaks the device but it also unlocks it ? if so, I don't want to restore it.. instead I want to upgrade the Whited00r 3.1.3 to Whited00r 6. And I'm gonna need help for that too I don't want to mess it up :) Also, again the power/lock button isn't working.

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 02:43:40 PM »
Whited00r is based on 3.1.3, it isn't actually iOS6 or even higher than 3.1.3, it always has been (and always will be) based on 3.1.3.  So if you installed whited00r 6, you are running the latest version ;)  there is no way to update your iOS version past 4.2.1 (although installing 4.2.1 would remove whited00r). 

With whited00r however, you have access to the App Time Machine, which has hundreds of archived applications that at one point supported 3.1.3 :)

Offline -torko-

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 02:52:50 PM »
Whited00r is based on 3.1.3, it isn't actually iOS6 or even higher than 3.1.3, it always has been (and always will be) based on 3.1.3.  So if you installed whited00r 6, you are running the latest version ;)  there is no way to update your iOS version past 4.2.1 (although installing 4.2.1 would remove whited00r). 

With whited00r however, you have access to the App Time Machine, which has hundreds of archived applications that at one point supported 3.1.3 :)

OK.. thank you :)

Offline matalic

• Iphone 3G - 4.2.1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 03:26:28 PM »

Thanks and...
I just realised that Whited00r not only jailbreaks the device but it also unlocks it ? if so, I don't want to restore it.. instead I want to upgrade the Whited00r 3.1.3 to Whited00r 6. And I'm gonna need help for that too I don't want to mess it up :) Also, again the power/lock button isn't working.

lol buddy how come you're confused about technology??? or at least your iPhone 3G.. sounds like you haven't researched much before asking questions.

THere's whited00r version 6 now. WD6 uses iOS version 3.1.3.
iPhone 3G can get up to iOS 4.2.1. I use iOS 4.2.1 to get apps that were developed after iOS 3.1.3.

Also, again (I said this  before) get the cydia application called 'activator' then use your volume button or silent switch as a power button. Go into activator, then push 'anywhere' then go to whichever way u want to lock your phone. I use 'hold down volume' hold it for about 1 second and then my phone will lock. I have no power button.

Offline matalic

• Iphone 3G - 4.2.1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 05:21:36 AM »
also get SBSettings from cydia.

to load sbsettings, I use 'hold volume up' button. it has reboot, shutdown, refresh, safe mode etc etc

Offline tiffanyyong

• View Profile
  • My Computer: Mac
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 09:54:12 AM »
Try restoring to a regular 4.2.1 firmware to see if that puts your baseband back on there. Right now it sounds like your baseband is corrupt.
Read More: How to restore iPhone 3G
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 07:37:08 AM by tiffanyyong »