Author Topic: [Solved] Broken Power or Home Buttons and entering DFU mode  (Read 115342 times)

Offline Soltmeal

• Developer
  • SuperHero Member
  • WDApps
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 2G
  • My Computer: Mac
If your iPhone's Home button and/or lock (Power) button are broken and you are trying to enter DFU mode or Recovery Mode I suggest downloading TinyUmbrella http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com and using that to enter DFU or Recovery Mode by simply clicking your mouse.

PierreP note: Try also creating a custom IPSW for entering DFU mode using redsn0w as described in Reply #6 below.

PierreP Moderator note: Edited thread title to add relevant keywords as described in Whited00r 6: Tips to Quickly Solve your Problems/Bugs & Get Answers FAST!, fixed a few typos & added link to alternative solution.

Developer of WDReminders
Instagram [email protected]

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Linux
Re: iPhone Stuck in DFU mode with a Broken Button?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 01:45:20 PM »
and what if my iPhone is stuck in DFU mod?

I think you have to let the battery drain if you cannot do a hard reset because your Power or Home button is broken :(

and then what? my iPhone is laying around for a week not doing any thing (not charging)

Plug it into a wall outlet, as that gives off more power. It should get stuck at the apple logo (which is alright).  Leave it like that for a couple hours and you should be good to follow other tutorials.

Then you can follow the link above to enter DFU mode (I think, I have never personally had a device do this).

i don't have the best English but if i understood what you said, i pluged in my iphone into that thing you attach to the wall but without puting it in the wall thing ( and again bad english lol  :-[) and then just wait?

Haha, yeah, bad translation I think ;)

Plug it into a wall charger, and let it charge there for a while after the battery has drained completely the first time around (so the computer doesn't try to do anything with it).

and what if my ipod 1g has a broken home button?

You should be able to use the tool he linked to in the first post.  (pretty sure, I have never used it myself though).

PierreP moderator note: merged a bunch of short Q&A posst to remove clutter.

Offline tamzid123

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
  • My Computer: Windows
Re: Having trouble with broken buttons and entering DFU mode?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 11:56:17 PM »
download redsn0w the latest version. you can enter dfu without power and home button easily. :) ;) :D ;D

Offline leejenshil

• graphical disianer
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 2G
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 05:58:55 AM »
the latest version of redsn0w doesn't support ipod 1g

download redsn0w the latest version. you can enter dfu without power and home button easily. :) ;) :D ;D

when i try that on my ipod 1g it just gives me error 6 in itunes

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 04:40:05 PM »
After you are out of DFU mode, you should be able to use Tiny Umbrella.

Offline Miighaa

• View Profile
iPhone 3G Broken Power Button Stuck in No SIM Screen
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 12:36:23 PM »
Hey everyone i guess i have the same problem here so my 3g iphone is stuck in the no sim screen and my power button is broken so i cant do the DFU mode also my itunes is written "we are not able to respond to your activation" or something i really dont know what to do pliiz heelp and sorry for my english  im only 17 :p byye :**

PierreP Moderator note: Edited this post's title to add relevant keywords as described in Whited00r 6: Tips to Quickly Solve your Problems/Bugs & Get Answers FAST! and moved the post to the proper thread.

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone 3G Broken Power or Home Button - How to Get in DFU Mode
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 01:46:04 PM »
...my 3g iphone is stuck in the no sim screen and my power button is broken so i cant do the DFU mode also my itunes is written "we are not able to respond to your activation"...

Welcome to the Whited00r forum!  8)

Have you read this and followed all the steps exactly? whited00r Tutorial - Installation

Have you tried the TinyUmbrella solution described in the post #1 above?

An other solution for people with an iPhone 3G w/ a broken Power or Home button who want to enter DFU Mode using a Windows computer is to download this exact version of redsn0w_win_0.9.14b2 then:

1- Download the official iOS 4.2.1 iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw to your computer (save link as).

2- Unzip & run as Administrator the redsn0w.exe (in Windows right-click) then go to > Extra > Even More > Create IPSW for entering DFU mode and navigate to the iOS 4.2.1 you just downloaded to Select it and create the ENTER_DFU_iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw firmware.

3- Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. Select your device in the iTunes sidebar (click Ctrl+s if it is hidden), and hold the Option key (shift on Windows) and click the Restore button. Find your newly created ENTER_DFU IPSW file, and click OK. This will restore your device and place the device into DFU mode upon restore. You should just see a black screen once the restore is finished.

4- You can then either use redsn0w to jailbreak your iPhone 3G or better yet: install Whited00r Unlock for iPhone 3G if you want a fast & fluid custom iOS for your iPhone 3G.  ;)  Or install Whited00r Normal only if your iPhone is Factory Unlocked or if you have the original SIM from the original carrier that came w/ the iPhone.

Check this How-to use redsn0w to create a custom firmware to enter DFU Mode with a broken Power or Home button video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpjADB2Ags4&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

The iTunes "We're sorry, we are unable to continue with your activation at this time" error is usually because you used a firmware for factory unlocked devices and did not insert a SIM or your iPhone 3G is not Factory Unlocked or you installed the wrong firmware or you did not install Whited00r Unlock version or you did not jaibreak using redsn0w then carrier unlock your iPhone 3G using ultrasn0w.

If you have a whited00r installation problem essential info needed so we can help you as described in WD 6: Tips to Quickly Solve your Problems/Bugs & Get Answers FAST!

1- Device model and the current iOS firmware you have on it. Is it already jailbroken and carrier unlocked or is it Factory Unlocked?
2- Your Baseband & Bootloader versions.
3- Are you on Mac or Windows OS version?  iTunes version?

f0recast is a simple free standalone tool to instantly find essential iPhone info including Bootloader version and baseband. Works on Mac & Windows. Download the free f0recast & iREB tools here: http://ih8sn0w.com/

I just connected my iPhone 3G to my computer with iTunes closed, started the small standalone (means no install required) f0recast and it gave me all the essential info about the iPhone:

So which firmware are you trying to install exactly?  :o

And thank you in advance for reporting back in this thread.

Offline Miighaa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 05:31:36 PM »
theenk u; for tinyumbrella i couldnt intall it in my computer (win8 32 bits ) and for redsnow i diid it but in itunes there wasnt a restore button

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 05:33:50 PM »
Is your iPhone even recognized by iTunes?

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »
theenk u; for tinyumbrella i couldnt intall it in my computer (win8 32 bits ) and for redsnow i diid it but in itunes there wasnt a restore button

Please provide the BASIC essential info requested above if you want some useful help.

If you hit Ctrl+ S you don't see your device in the left sidebar of iTunes?

If iTunes does not recognize the device: disconnect all USB devices except mouse & keyboard, restart computer, turn on iTunes & because you cannot turn off your iPhone just connect it & pray.

Normally one can turn off the iPhone and keep pressing the Home button while connecting it to the computer with iTunes opened & it will install the proper USB drivers & be recognized by iTunes.

Offline Miighaa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 01:32:55 PM »
oohh my godd i love u guys and sorry for the late i was sick so i've just try pressing home then connect it and itunes recognized it i've pressed restore n now im waitin' there's a bar up "update software iphone (2h left) " just another question when it finish do i do that thing with redsnow to put it in a DFU mode then whitedoor or directly whitedoor andd sorry for my orthography  =))

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
Re: Which Firmware to install - Missing Information
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 03:07:04 PM »
...i've just try pressing home then connect it and itunes recognized it i've pressed restore n now im waitin' there's a bar up "update software iphone (2h left) "

...when it finish do i do that thing with redsnow to put it in a DFU mode then whitedoor or directly whitedoor...

You need to give the basic info I requested above in Reply #14 to get an intelligent answer to that.

We don't know what you installed, we don't know if your iPhone 3G is factory unlocked or not, we don't know your baseband (modem firmware).

Why don't you simply use f0rcast as mentioned & linked above???  :o

Offline Miighaa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 08:33:16 PM »
hiii ; i wanna restore it with whitedoor 6 so i followed ur steps i create that thing whith redsnow(enter dfu) then restore it whith itunes but after a while itunes showed me 37 error :/

oh and for forecast it written no  idevice connected but my iphone is connected :s
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 08:39:00 PM by PierreP »

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
Does iReb see any device connected, or iTunes recognize the device?   Which firmware gave the error 37, whited00r or the redsn0w DFU .ipsw?

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile