Author Topic: Google Broke Microsoft Exchange Workaround - Sync Contacts, Calendar & email  (Read 5946 times)

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Windows
Google/Gmail broke Microsoft Exchange sync support for no good reasons IMO.  >:(

Gmail Syncing

1- Go to > Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Add Account > select Gmail, SMTP if asked: smtp.gmail.com. Done.

Using CalDAV On iPhone To Sync Google Calendar Without Microsoft Exchange

1- Go to > Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Add Account > Other > Calendars > Add CalDav Account > Server is: google.com the rest is your Gmail credentials, Description is up to you, mine is Calendar CalDAV. Click Next and wait for Verifying confirmation. Done.

Syncing Gmail Contacts Workaround

I don't remember if the Microsoft Exchange feature was enabled or not by default in Whited00r 6 but it's easy to check and you can also modify other stuff while you are there. This will be made much easier in the upcoming Whited00r update. No confirmed launch date yet as we are squashing some bugs so don't ask when it is coming out please!

1- Start the Terminal app.

2- Type setup in the Terminal window and hit Return.

3- Type a to select Speed Up the device.

4- Type a to select Manage Daemons

5- Make sure you enable Sync by typing y.

6- Choose what you want for the other options.

7- After replying to the tethering option, it will return to the main menu, just type e to finish and Reboot automatically.

My Gmail Contacts sync workaround currently is:

1- On your computer: Open an outlook.com account & create a Hotmail alias if you don't have a Hotmail account already.

2- outlook.com > drop-down menu (arrow) > People (their name for contacts) > Manage > Add people > select Gmail Contacts.

3- On your iPhone: Go to > Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Add Account > Microsoft Exchange > enter there your Hotmail credentials, Server is : m.hotmail.com & select Use SSL > select sync only Contacts or add Mail & Hotmail calendar if you want them also. I did not.

Caveat - All changes you make in Gmail > Contacts will be reflected on the iPhone but changes made on the iPhone will not be synced back to your Gmail account.   :-\

I exchanged several messages w/ outlook.com Support to see if there is a way around this but all the big guys are making our life complicated because they do not want to collaborate with each other and are throwing wrenches in the works. Guilty: Apple, Google & Microsoft!

From Support Gmail - Sync contacts with your iOS device

Syncing via CardDAV is only available over SSL for Apple devices on iOS version 5.0 and above

So Google decided to crap on all devices running an iOS below that and we cannot use CardDAV to sync our Gmail Contacts.  :-\  No way it will ever work on gen 1 & 2 Apple devices.