Author Topic: iPhone 2G fresh start questions  (Read 2362 times)

Offline mozzi1990

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 2G
  • My Computer: Windows
iPhone 2G fresh start questions
« on: August 02, 2013, 04:25:06 PM »
Sorry if this belongs somewhere else!

I've been having a lot of trouble with my 2g (freezing on every respring requiring hard reboot etc) and want to completely start from scratch with a clean install.

I know if I Shift + Restore and select WD6 via iTunes I can clean install Whited00r. If I were to just restore normally would that restore to official 3.1.3 (un-jailbreak?).

Is there any way to check whether the phone is jailbroken (without looking for Cydia etc.)
Also is there any way to check that WD has been correctly installed? There was something about f0recast saying 3.1.3 (7E18) but I had that also when I restored back to official firmware.

I think I've really confused myself, so basically I just want to know what I should do step by step and also what is the best way to jailbreak the device, I used blackr4in last time but someone told me to use either spirit or redsn0w with 3.1.2 firmware? Is that something I should do? Can 3.1.3 jailbreak directly or do I need to downgrade to 3.1.2 **confused!!**

Any help is appreciated, as you can tell I'm very, very new to this jailbreak process!
Edit by bcooperizcool to provide more keywords in the title :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 06:43:39 PM by bcooperizcool »

Offline uli4351

• www.whited00r.com
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 3G
Re: Fresh start
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 05:33:59 PM »
WD comes Pre-Jailbroken, there is no need to use another program to install it, Just use iTunes and restore to WD.

Offline theguitar

• Moderator-Beta Tester
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPod Touch 2G
  • My Computer: Mac
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 05:35:54 PM »
Hey Thanks For the Post. When you say "I've been having a lot of trouble with my 2g" do you mean iPod Touch 2g or iPhone 2G? The iPod would restore to 4.2.1, and the iPhone to 3.1.3 if you just press restore. This would cleanly install the official operating system. I highly recommend just doing the shift+restore to a clean whited00r OS. make sure to use iReb to avoid restore errors. Also you want clean and a jailbreak, so whited00r is the way to go as it is very clean and stable :)
Windows 8~~OSX 10.10 Yosemite~~Ubuntu 13.04
iPhone 5~~iPhone 4~~iPhone 3gs~~iPhone 2G
iPod Touch 5G~~iPod Touch 3G~iPod Touch 2G(MB,MC)

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 06:43:08 PM »
First off, the freezing on respring (if from cydia) is a known bug on 3.1.3 anyway, not related to anything you installed or otherwise. The only solution is to hard reset ;)
Yes, just doing the restore in iTunes would download the stock 3.1.3 firmware for your device and un-jailbreak it :(
There is, you can do so only via the computer if you don't want to look for Cydia, by using a file system explorer like iTools and seeing if you can see the root file system ( / ).  If you can, then it is jailbroken, otherwise it isn't.

You can jailbreak 3.1.3 directly (although I wouldn't recommend spirit...), but if you use redsn0w (which for 3.1.3 I think you have to), you need to also have the 3.1.2 .ipsw downloaded on the computer to point redsn0w to when it asks for a .ipsw.
As others have said though, if you want whited00r, you don't need to jailbreak  (in fact, doing so very well might cause a lot of issues depending on which one you did).

Offline mozzi1990

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 07:11:39 PM »
Thanks everyone for your help so far!

do you mean iPod Touch 2g or iPhone 2G?

iPhone 2g, sorry should've been more specific.

First off, the freezing on respring (if from cydia) is a known bug on 3.1.3 anyway, not related to anything you installed or otherwise. The only solution is to hard reset ;)
Yes, just doing the restore in iTunes would download the stock 3.1.3 firmware for your device and un-jailbreak it :(
There is, you can do so only via the computer if you don't want to look for Cydia, by using a file system explorer like iTools and seeing if you can see the root file system ( / ).  If you can, then it is jailbroken, otherwise it isn't.

You can jailbreak 3.1.3 directly (although I wouldn't recommend spirit...), but if you use redsn0w (which for 3.1.3 I think you have to), you need to also have the 3.1.2 .ipsw downloaded on the computer to point redsn0w to when it asks for a .ipsw.
As others have said though, if you want whited00r, you don't need to jailbreak  (in fact, doing so very well might cause a lot of issues depending on which one you did).

Okay I clean installed WD6 (Shift+Restore) after using iReb. Phone activated as normal. However, when I went into Cydia it told me I had 10 or so updates, 3 being essential. After updating these, the device went into bootloop when i tried to respring. I hard reset and then it couldn't be recognised by iTunes. I eventually managed to get it to DFU (many failed attempts) and clean installed WD6 again (after various 16xx issues). Should I attempt the Cydia updates again or is that something that I should be avoiding completely?

EDIT: The updates in question are as follows:

APT 0.7 Strict (lib)
Core Utilities
Core Utilities (/bin)
Debian Utilities
Mobile Substrate
pcre
Substrate Safe Mode
UKit Tools
unzip
wget
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 07:24:25 PM by mozzi1990 »

Offline theguitar

• Moderator-Beta Tester
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPod Touch 2G
  • My Computer: Mac
Re: iPhone 2G fresh start questions
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 08:11:58 PM »
Installing all updates when I press the "Complete Upgrade" usually works flawlessly for me, Whenever you respring from Cydia it will just stay on the respring page so you have to hard reset. I would try again.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 01:28:17 AM by theguitar »
Windows 8~~OSX 10.10 Yosemite~~Ubuntu 13.04
iPhone 5~~iPhone 4~~iPhone 3gs~~iPhone 2G
iPod Touch 5G~~iPod Touch 3G~iPod Touch 2G(MB,MC)

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 08:30:46 PM »
All of those are fine to update, just don't press the respring button, instead hold down the home/power buttons until the device shuts off and then turn it back on. (only when you see the respring button though!).

Also, after you restored to whited00r, did you set up as a new device, or restore from a backup to get your data back?

Offline mozzi1990

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 09:23:07 PM »
installing all updates when I press the "Complete Upgrade" usually works flawlessly for me, also whenever you respring from cydia it will just stay on the respring page so you have to hard reset. i would try again but thats me

Its finally worked, though for some reason I had to update the 3 essentials first, and then others later.

All of those are fine to update, just don't press the respring button, instead hold down the home/power buttons until the device shuts off and then turn it back on. (only when you see the respring button though!).

Also, after you restored to whited00r, did you set up as a new device, or restore from a backup to get your data back?

Its handy to know about the need to hard reset now :D although it's strange as sometimes the respring from cydia does work  ???
I set up as new device as I wanted to make sure everything was completely new

Thanks guys! Hopefully I can reinstall SBSettings, iRealSMS and a few others now and be back to the glory days  :) will keep you updated on how the updates go and any error messages I get along the way. Fingers crossed it doesn't come down to that though!  ::)