Author Topic: [Solved] iPhone 3G Battery Not Charging - Fix & Tips  (Read 26238 times)

Offline dpx

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Windows
[Solved] iPhone 3G Battery Not Charging - Fix & Tips
« on: August 03, 2013, 08:34:41 PM »
Hey i have a problem with iPhone 3G on whited00r 6, problem start when i'm connecting the device into a laptop then i respring it, when it back on homescreen, my phone not in charging mode nor connected to my laptop.

I tried connect to other usb port and on electrical socket, but it still not charging???

Is there any way to restore my phone without using iTunes, because I can't connect into my laptop or any PC.

I've search the way is on setting->general->reset->reset all setting but i didn't find reset all setting on my phone with whited00r 6.

So please tell me if there's another way to restore my iPhone without using iTunes or any application on PC, thanks.  :'(

PierreP Moderator note: Edited thread title to add relevant keywords as described in Whited00r 6: Tips to Quickly Solve your Problems/Bugs & Get Answers FAST! & fixed a few typos.

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
Re: iPhone 3G doesn't charge
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 08:39:02 PM »
It doesn't change via USB port either?  Have you looked into the data port with a magnifying glass and a light to see if the ports are corroded or broken?

Offline dpx

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone 3G doesn't charge - Using Other Data Cable
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 08:43:13 PM »
yes it doesn't, i've borrow my friend cable now it can charge but there's no lightning icon (charging status) on top right phone
now it can charge but not connected to pc when i connect from USB port , any idea to restore?

maybe using terminal? is there any command to restore iPhone from terminal?

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
Re: iPhone 3G doesn't charge
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 09:00:48 PM »
maybe using terminal? is there any command to restore iPhone from terminal?

Nothing via terminal, every restore method requires iTunes and a computer/to be connected via USB.

Did you check the data port on the iPhone?  Corrupted/broken/missing conducts can stop the iPhone from being recognized.

nope i think data port on iphone is fine, i'll go to apple store then
thanks for your response  :) have a nice day

Odd, it should be detected if both the cable and the data port are fine :O

PierreP Moderator note: merged a few short Q&A posts to eliminate clutter.

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone 3G Battery Not Charging Tips
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 01:25:41 AM »
I had an iPhone 3G that was running stock iOS 4.2.1 at the time & it was not charging. The solution was to connect it first to a wall charger that had an output of at least 1 ampere at 5 volts (check on the charger for info) then turn it off and let it charge overnight.

I also used a wall-charger from my Samsung 7 tablet which has an output of 2 ampere at 5 volts.

Two things are very common: people trying to use chargers of only .5 amps @ 5v which works for iPod's but not for iPhone's and bad data cables. I replaced mine 4 times so far because of charging or iTunes problems.

You can also connect the iPhone 3G first to wall charger and do a Hard Reset:

Hard Reset often solve many problems: hold both Home & Power buttons until the Apple logo appears and let go of the buttons & smell the roses while it is doing it's thing.

No worries, hard reset will not change any of your info, tweaks & apps on the device.

I have an other iPhone 3G that was sometimes charging and sometimes not and also returning all kinds of errors in iTunes. I used a flashlight & a magnifying glass and to my horror this is how the Data port looked like:

The dataport needed replacement and all the problems went away.  :)

If yours is not corroded, turn off the iPhone 3G first to avoid electrical shorts between contacts and you can clean it using a needle or a sharpened toothpick and a flashlight & a magnifying glass to see what you are doing being careful not to break those contacts.  :o

To rule out any errors caused by the computer: disconnect all USB devices except mouse & keyboard, update iTunes & reboot as this resets the USB ports & completes the iTunes installation.

After that to install all the proper iPhone drivers and make sure the computer recognize it: Turn on iTunes, turn off the iPhone and while keeping on pressing the Home button, connect to the computer and it will install the drivers, automatically turn on the iPhone and show in iTunes as charging & connected.

An other good way to rule out any errors caused by the computer: try with an other computer;)

An other user reported that all the above did not work but when he tried connecting to his car charger it fixed the problem!

If all the above fails, you can try installing the stock iOS 3.1.3 or the iOS 4.2.1 via iTunes and it still fails to charge then you have a hardware problem:

1- Bad battery needs replacement because it's too old or defective. I had to do that on an iPhone 3G that was not charging even if the battery was new because it was a bad Chinese clone from eBay.

2- Problem with the motherboard (logic board) and/or it's charging unit.  :o

yes it doesn't, i've borrow my friend cable now it can charge but there's no lightning icon (charging status) on top right phone
now it can charge but not connected to pc when i connect from USB port , any idea to restore?

I'm not sure I understand so could you clarify please? Are you saying that:

A- With a different data cable you can charge using a wall charger.

B- With a different data cable when you connect to a computer it does not charge?

One thing is for sure, you problem is NOT related to Whited00r.