Author Topic: [Solved] iPhone 2G 3G - SIM card inserted in iPhone Not Supported iTunes Error  (Read 36956 times)

Offline pssissi

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 2G
  • My Computer: Windows
iPhone 2G - iOS 3.1.3 (7E18)
iTunes 11.02
Windows 7 Home Basic
f0recast shows: Baseband = 04.05.04_G and Bootloader = 3.9_M3S2
Have following ipsw's : 7E18 (old copy), 7E18 (fresh download 4/aug/13), 7D11, Whited00r 4.4, Whited00r 6

Here's whats happened since yesterday.

I had Whited00r 4.4.1U for almost an year and upgraded to Whited00r 6 about 5 days back. It was working fine. Was able to get older Facebook and wechat as well.

Then I installed Openiboot and then tried iDroid - it failed (was basically doing this for WhatsApp - following the topic id 8130 and followed Rashid's steps) iDroid did not install and I switched off the iPhone 2G by pressing the power button.

It never came back on.

Did iReb to put it into DFU mode - went into DFU and was recognized by iTunes. Tried to restore and got errors 1600 and -1. Kept trying and finally did a fresh download for restore from iTunes (rather than using older files from my comp). I tried Whited00r 6 again as well.

Only the fresh restore worked but iTunes now gives me an error message that "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported" and on the iPhone I am on the screen which shows connect to iTunes cable and the carrier shows fine (Vodafone). I receive calls and can make emergency calls only. Nothing else is visible. I am unable to even enter beyond the emergency screen.

Shows me the IMEI and ICCID on the emergency screen.

Tried Redsn0w (0.9.4 then, 0.9.2 - neither versions recognizes either the iOS 3.1.3 7E18 (old), 7E18 (fresh), 7D11 or any Whited00r ipsw's)

Please help me.

PierreP Moderator note: Edited thread title to add relevant keywords as described in Whited00r 6: Tips to Quickly Solve your Problems/Bugs & Get Answers FAST! & fixed a few typos.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 03:24:53 PM by PierreP »

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 3G
iPhone 2G & 3G - Carrier Locked SIM card Not Supported iTunes Error
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 07:02:52 PM »
iPhone 2G - iOS 3.1.3 (7E18)
iTunes 11.02
Windows 7 Home Basic
f0recast shows: Baseband = 04.05.04_G and Bootloader = 3.9_M3S2

...upgraded to whited00r 6 about 5 days back. It was working fine...

...the fresh restore worked but itunes now gives me a message that "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported" and on the iphone i am on the screen which shows connect to itunes cable and the carrier shows fine (Vodafone). I receive calls and can make emergency calls only. Nothing else is visible. I am unable to even enter beyond the emergency screen.

Shows me the IMEI and ICCID on the emergency screen.

Tried Redsn0w (0.9.4 then, 0.9.2 - neither versions recognizes either the iOS 3.1.3 7E18 (old), 7E18 (fresh), 7D11 or any whited00r ipsw's)...

Welcome to the Whited00r forum!  8)

Thank you for providing all the essential info, it makes trying to help you much easier as described in WD 6: Tips to Quickly Solve your Problems/Bugs & Get Answers FAST!

"...upgraded to whited00r 6 about 5 days back. It was working fine - You should have stopped right there.  ;)

So you successfully restored your iPhone 2G  to the stock iOS 3.1.3 using iTunes but it is still carrier locked and that's why you are getting the iTunes error "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported".

Try these steps & please report how it went. This tutorial is valid for the iPhone 3G too.

1- Make sure you download the Whited00r 6 Unlocked version for the iPhone 2G. Unzip it to get the .ipsw firmware inside. Users with a Factory Unlocked iPhone should download the Normal version.

For the next Whited00r 7 version (no launch date yet so please don't ask), we will name it Unlocker because that is what it does: jailbreak & carrier unlock automatically.

2- While many users are flashing firmwares with the SIM card inserted, it is not needed and can only create problems so I always: Turn off the iPhone & remove the SIM. There is no need to reinsert the empty SIM tray nor to turn it back on at this point.

3- To rule out any errors caused by the computer: disconnect all USB devices except mouse & keyboard, update iTunes & reboot as this resets the USB ports & completes the iTunes installation.

4- I don't know why Apple does that but in iTunes 11 the Sidebar and the Status Bar are off by default. Enabled them: View > Show Sidebar and View > Show Status Bar.

5- Put the iPhone 2G or 3G in the normal DFU Mode & install all the required drivers on the computer (this also fixes the device not recognized by iTunes error) by doing this: start iTunes > with the iPhone turned off keep on pressing the Home button and connect it to the computer. Drivers should get installed and iTunes should recognize the device in Restore Mode.

6- If iTunes does not recognize the iPhone: use an other USB port or change to a known working USB data cable or try on an other computer or make sure the data port of the iPhone is not dirty with pocket lint preventing a proper cable seating & contact: clean it using a flashlight, magnifying glass & needle or sharpened toothpick but be careful to not bend or break the contacts.

One one of my iPhone 3G the Data port needed to be replaced because it was corroded and causing a circus of all kinds of iTunes errors. I had to replace also the data cable twice so far because only cheap Chinese clone cables are available where I live & they do not last long & were causing iTunes errors.

7- This is not your case because you have a fresh install but for other users: [Tutorial] Backup Apps & Data BEFORE Upgrading iOS Firmware WD 6 3.1.3 4.1 4.2.1

7a- This is optional but can prevent many iTunes installation errors: download the free iREB and with iTunes turned off, use it to get the iPhone in the PWNED DFU mode and after that close it & use iTunes to follow the steps below.

Note: some users had problems with the current iREB r7 so you can download the stable iREB r6 here which works fine.

7b- In iTunes, select your device in the Sidebar and click on Restore holding SHIFT (Windows) (or ALT on Mac) at the same time and navigate your computer to where you unzipped the whited00r Software Update (.ipsw).

7c- After iTunes finished installing the firmware a brief popup appears saying "Your iPhone has been restored to factory settings, and is restarting..." at this point there is no active USB connection and contrary to what iTunes says, it is safe to disconnect the iPhone.

7d- This is important: for the Whited00r installation to complete & settle, reboot the device twice: turn off the iPhone, wait 5-10 seconds & turn it back on. After it finished booting, do it again!

7e- Turn off the iPhone a third time, insert the SIM and turn it back on. If on the Statusbar it is stuck in the Searching... mode and cannot find your cellular provider, go to Settings & turn on the Airplane Mode for 5 seconds & turn back off & it should find the cellular provider if you have a valid SIM. If it does not, turn off the iPhone, remove the valid SIM & clean the golden contacts thoroughly with alcohol, let it dry & try again.

7f- Connect the iPhone to iTunes and set it up as New. After that you can disconnect the iPhone. From that point on, personally I never use iTunes anymore but the free, ad free & powerful yet easy to use iTools (click on English) iPhone/iPod/iPad manager instead.  ;)

8- Visit the the sticky (it means a thread pinned at the top of the forum list) Whited00r 6 - FAQ & Troubleshooting - READ BEFORE POSTING! which may answer many questings you might have about Whited00r 6 including how to get better battery life & enable or disable some Whited00r features.  ;)

iPhone 3G notes:

A- If your iPhone 3G still have the No service... or Searching error after doing the step 7e, check in > Settings > General > About > Modem Firmware (baseband) & if it says 05.15 or 05.15 then you need to upgrade & downgrade your baseband using this tutorial: [Solved] iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1 Stuck in Baseband 05.15.04 - No Service

B- if you have a SIM with 3G data enabled, you can call your cellular provider to check if it is activated and ask them what is the correct APN data that you need to add to: > Settings > Network (or Cellular) > Cellular Data Network > Cellular Data > APN box.

Offline pssissi

• View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 2G
[Solved] iPhone 2G/3G - iTunes SIM card Not Supported
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 10:48:58 AM »
Hey Pierre - Thanks for setting this up. Apologies for being late :(

Here's what worked for me:

1. A fresh and new iOS 3.1.3 7E18 ipsw for iPhone 2G download straight from iTunes (ver 11.04) (WD6 was not working so far).
2. Restore the iPhone 2G.
3. Used Sn0wbreeze to go past the emergency screen. (Sn0wbreeze did everything to jailbreak and unlock the phone) - I was very happy and relieved at this point.
4. Got a little bolder and did a WD6 as a fresh install (not from backup)
5. Did back-up to get my contacts and SMS's back on the iphone - it worked (a fresh install of WD6 followed by a backup of contacts and SMS's worked - I don't know if a backup would have worked but did not take the chance)
6. Got Whatsapp/Wechat/Viber all back and now it is working fine.
7. Not venturing with Openiboot or iDroid any more now. Whatsapp still remains an issue with no 3 digit activation code (first time user)

And before I forget - Amazing help provided by Alveola666 and Pierre - you guys are masters and rock !!

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
Re: [Solved] iPhone 2G/3G - iTunes SIM card Not Supported
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 11:17:26 AM »
Hey Pierre - Thanks for setting this up. Apologies for being late :(

Here's what worked for me...

...5. Did back-up to get my contacts and SMS's back on the iphone - it worked (a fresh install of WD6 followed by a backup of contacts and SMS's worked - I don't know if a backup would have worked but did not take the chance)
6. Got Whatsapp/Wechat/Viber all back and now it is working fine.
7. Not venturing with Openiboot or iDroid any more now. Whatsapp still remains an issue with no 3 digit activation code (first time user)...

You are welcomed and glad you fixed it.  :)

Thank you pssissi for reporting back about how you solved the issue as it will help other Whited00r users with the same problem.   8) So +1 Internets for you for giving back to the WD community.

BTW a must read for all new Whited00r users is the sticky (it means an important thread pinned at the top of the forum list) Whited00r 6 - FAQ & Troubleshooting - READ BEFORE POSTING! with answers to many questions you might have.

"...I don't know if a backup would have worked but did not take the chance" - If you mean doing a full restore from a full backup made with iTunes then the answer is NO! That would cancel a fresh install and create all kind of problems. That is why the WD install tutorial says: Setup iPhone as New.

But one can restore individual app + your personal data, Messages, Contacts, Apps, etc as described in: [Tutorial] Backup Apps & Data BEFORE Upgrading iOS Firmware WD 6 3.1.3 4.1 4.2.1

"Whatsapp still remains an issue with no 3 digit activation code (first time user)..." - If you are a first time user forget about WhatsApp as they do NOT send 3 digit activation codes anymore to any device not running iOS 4.3 or newer (which the iPhone 2G & 3G cannot use because of hardware limitations) and there is no workaround that can hack or trick the WhatsApp servers.

See this thread and post any WhatsApp questions there please: [50% Solved] WhatsApp WD6 Problem - Partially Working Update!

Offline Cotsy

• View Profile
  • Device: Does Not Own iDevice ARMv6
SIM card does not appear to be supported iPhone 3G whited00r 6 normal
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 04:59:34 PM »
Hi, I just tried downloading the iphone 3g normal WD6 file and restoring my iphone to it. I'm with the network called 48 and I wasn't sure if the iphone 3g was jailbroke or not since it's my friends old phone, so i didn't download the unlocked version. After restoring the itune on itunes, when I click on the iPhone icon the message 'The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.' It says the SIM card is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy. I have no other SIM card and can't get passed this page.
 Please help me

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
Re: SIM card does not appear to be supported iPhone 3G whited00r 6 normal
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 06:30:55 PM »
Welcome to the forums :)

Are you factory unlocked on your iPhone 3G?  If not, you did need to use the unlocked version (after checking the baseband which you can do via F0recast as described in this post: WD 6: Tips to Quickly Solve your Problems/Bugs & Get Answers FAST! ).

After you know the baseband, you should follow the Whited00r installation wizard to downgrade the baseband if needed (may not be depending on what it is) :)

I'm guessing you aren't factory unlocked though, so you probably do need to do the above ;)

Offline lady_yui

• View Profile
iPhone 3G 1600 error
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 10:03:46 AM »
Hi. I'm having an error 1600, when I'm trying to restore on Itunes using the Whitedoor. Before that, I had the same prob same with Pssi. Please help! I've been reading tips and tricks here in the forum but nothing worked so far :( and I keep on downloading files that seems to be useless in the end.. And it's taking me 6hrs to download one file (for I have an slow connection). Please I need help.. Thanks.

Offline lady_yui

• View Profile
Re: iPhone 3G 1600 error
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 10:13:49 AM »
And this is what I've got on forecast below.. Please help me what to do next.. Atleast just one person who could help me with the step by step process.. Thanks.

Edit by bcooperizcool to just get the needed info and remove the images which contain sensitive information which wasn't blacked out

Baseband: 06.15.00
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 05:47:42 PM by bcooperizcool »

Offline lady_yui

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 10:28:08 AM »
Or atleast, help me get back on my original ios.. before i use and try to install this whitedoor.. I'm using ios 4.1.1 :'(

Offline iTechy21

• Bashing the shell
  • Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Well errr... Stuff :3
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
  • Device: iPod Touch 1G
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 11:53:14 AM »
Or atleast, help me get back on my original ios.. before i use and try to install this whitedoor.. I'm using ios 4.1.1 :'(
If you do not want the unlock download the normal version of whited00r.
go here to download redsn0w and to put your device into Pwned dfu: https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_win_0.9.15b3.zip?attredirects=0&d=1
It might take a while to download :-\
Once done open it as an administrator (right click on redsn0w and the little shield icon)
click extras -> PWNED DFU. Plug your device in but turned off, and follow the instructions on screen.
Follow me on twitter! | Subscribe to my YouTube Channel! | Follow my blog!
Please Read all the stickies if you're new. And follow the rules, please :)

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 05:51:11 PM »
Hi. I'm having an error 1600, when I'm trying to restore on Itunes using the Whitedoor. Before that, I had the same prob same with Pssi. Please help! I've been reading tips and tricks here in the forum but nothing worked so far :( and I keep on downloading files that seems to be useless in the end.. And it's taking me 6hrs to download one file (for I have an slow connection). Please I need help.. Thanks.

Have you read this?
iTunes 16xx error even when using iReb - READ THIS

Basically, use the redsn0w linked there and go to "Extras" and choose "PWNED DFU" mode to be able to get past the 1600 error.

However, if you need an unlock, you need to downgrade your baseband which is easy too and done via this tutorial:
iPhone 3G baseband downgrade tutorial[/url]

Also, this isn't exactly the right thread for getting past the 1600 error ;)   (there are many, and even stickied threads too, on this board).