Author Topic: [Solved] Better Battery Life Tips - Whited00r 6 iPhone 3G & 2G, iPod Touch  (Read 8603 times)

Offline Craig

• PHP/HTML Geek
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Windows
Hello there,
This is my first time posting on Whited00r forums.

I'm basically asking and I don't see a better place to post this topic if WD 6 on an iPhone 3G works fine battery wise?

Since I had a iPod Touch 1G the battery life was drained within 3 hours of use with WD and when it never had WD installed it could last 3 days with music playing.

I've searched the forums to see if it's been fixed but most topics I saw still had the problem of battery drainage for WD6 but no solution besides having a spare battery lol.

My iPhone can last about 2-3 days max and jail broken can last about 1-2 days max.

In short terms, does WD 6 has any issues with battery drainage or has it been fixed?

PierreP Moderator note: Edited thread title to add relevant keywords as described in Whited00r 6: Tips to Quickly Solve your Problems/Bugs & Get Answers FAST! & created paragraphs.

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
Re: WD 6 for iPhone 3g battery drain
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 03:13:22 AM »
Welcome to the forums :)

This really depends on a lot of things:
-Your setup options you chose via the terminal setup tool
-Tweaks you may have installed
-Version of whited00r you are using, and if you are using the unlocked version if you used pushfixer or not.
-Other smaller things, such as if you did a clean install rather than restoring from a backup in iTunes.

Offline theguitar

• Moderator-Beta Tester
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPod Touch 2G
  • My Computer: Mac
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 03:13:50 AM »
It is strange you are having significant battery drain on your iPod touch 1G. Try disabling some features by entering "setup" in terminal. Could this be a hardware problem on your iPod?  Battery drain should not be bad for the iPhone 3G, especially if you disable one or two features but you should not need to. (unless you have confliction with Fast App Switcher and SARA.)

I Would start with SARA if you have problems and see where you go from there.  :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 12:41:08 AM by theguitar »
Windows 8~~OSX 10.10 Yosemite~~Ubuntu 13.04
iPhone 5~~iPhone 4~~iPhone 3gs~~iPhone 2G
iPod Touch 5G~~iPod Touch 3G~iPod Touch 2G(MB,MC)

Offline Craig

• PHP/HTML Geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 04:47:39 AM »
Cheers guys, i'll install it and see.
What features should I disable if it does drain the battery on the iPhone 3g?

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
...I'm basically asking and I don't see a better place to post this topic if WD 6 on an iPhone 3G works fine battery wise?...

I've searched the forums to see if it's been fixed but most topics I saw still had the problem of battery drainage for WD6 but no solution besides having a spare battery lol.

My iPhone 3G can last about 2-3 days max and jail broken can last about 1-2 days max.

In short terms, does WD 6 has any issues with battery drainage or has it been fixed?

bcooperizcool is right: "This really depends on a lot of things".  ;)

There is no battery draining issues in Whited00r 6, it depends on your setups & usage.

These tips applies to iPhone 3G & 2G & iPod Touch 1G & 2G too: You can extend the battery life by disabling some Whited00r 6 features by using the > Terminal app > setup tool. See Whited00r 6 - FAQ & Troubleshooting - READ BEFORE POSTING! for more info about it.

Teaser: We are working on the next Whited00r 7 version (no launch date yet so please don't ask) and it will be much easier to enable or disable the WD features & much more.  ;)

FYI from Apple's iPhone 3G - Technical Specifications page:

Talk time (4)
    Up to 5 hours on 3G
    Up to 10 hours on 2G

4. Talk time: Testing conducted by Apple in May and June 2008 using preproduction iPhone 3G units and software. iPhone 3G units were connected to a 1900MHz network or a 2100MHz network. All settings were default except: Call Forwarding was turned on; the Wi-Fi feature Ask to Join Networks was turned off. Wi-Fi was enabled but not associated with a network. Battery life depends on the cellular network, location, signal strength, feature configuration, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPhone units; actual results may vary.

Everything is relative.  ;)  That's why it's the motto under my avatar.

Some battery life tips from this page: http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

Optimize Your Settings

Depending on how they are configured, a few features may decrease your iPhone battery life. For example, the frequency with which you retrieve email and the number of email accounts you auto-check can both affect battery life. The tips below apply to an iPhone running iOS 5.0 or later and may help extend your battery life.

Adjust brightness: Dimming the screen is another way to extend battery life. Go to Settings > Brightness & Wallpaper and drag the slider to the left to lower the default screen brightness. In addition, turning on Auto-Brightness allows the screen to adjust its brightness based on current lighting conditions. Go to Settings > Brightness & Wallpaper and set Auto-Brightness to On.

Turn off push mail: If you have a push mail account such as Yahoo! or Microsoft Exchange, turn off push when you donít need it. Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data and set Push to Off. Messages sent to your push email accounts will now be received on your phone based on the global Fetch setting rather than as they arrive.
Fetch new data less frequently: Applications such as Mail can be set to fetch data wirelessly at specific intervals. The more frequently email or other data is fetched, the quicker your battery may drain. To fetch new data manually, from the Home screen choose Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data and tap Manually. To increase the fetch interval, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data and tap Hourly. Note that this is a global setting and applies to all applications that do not support push services.

Turn off push notifications: Some applications from the App Store use the Apple Push Notification service to alert you of new data. Applications that extensively rely on push notifications (such as instant messaging applications) may impact battery life. To disable push notifications, go to Settings > Notifications and disable notifications for select applications. Note that this does not prevent new data from being received when the application is opened. Also, the Notifications setting will not be visible if you do not have any applications installed that support push notifications.

Minimize use of location services: Applications that actively use location services such as Maps may reduce battery life. To disable location services, go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services or use location services only when needed.

Use Airplane Mode in low- or no-coverage areas: Because your iPhone always tries to maintain a connection with the cellular network, it may use more power in low- or no-coverage areas. Turning on Airplane Mode can increase battery life in these situations; however, you will be unable to make or receive calls. To turn on Airplane Mode, go to Settings and set Airplane Mode to On.

Lock Your iPhone: It may seem obvious, but you should lock your iPhone when you arenít using it. You will be able to receive calls and text messages while it is locked, but nothing happens if you touch the screen. To lock iPhone, press the Sleep/Wake button. You can also set the Auto-Lock interval so your iPhone will turn off more quickly after a period of inactivity. To set Auto-Lock, go to Settings > General > Auto-Lock and set the interval to a short time, such as 1 minute.

Screen brightness has the most impact on battery life so the lower, the better. The other thing eating battery is if in an area with poor 3G cellular signal reception the iPhone uses a lot of power trying to get a better signal so in that case it's much better to turn off 3G in > Settings > General > Cellular or Network > toggle off: Enable 3G.

You can download the free & compatible Battery Doctor Pro v3.8 and System Status v3.0 (does much more including Network info, CPU, Processes, Memory & Storage usage, etc) using Whited00r's built-in App Time Machine app store and it will give you some rough approximate estimates of battery life depending on what you are using based on Apple's optimized settings and also some useful better battery life tips in > Battery Doctor > More > Tips. In App Time Machine there is also Battery HD+ but I don't like it because there are ads & less features.

"My iPhone 3G can last about 2-3 days max and jail broken can last about 1-2 days max" - This is important info because if your iPhone 3G is Factory Unlocked then you need to install Whited00r 6 for iPhone 3G Normal version which will give you better battery life because it does not include the ultrasn0w MobileSubstrate that is required for users with a carrier locked iPhone.

An easy way to check if your iPhone 3G is Factory Unlocked is to go to: > Settings > General > About > Modem Firmware (baseband). If it says 05.15.04 or 05.14.02 and you can make & receive calls then it's Factory Unlocked or you have the SIM of the original cellular provider that came with the iPhone 3G.

Users with those baseband and with the No Service... error in the Statusbar or the iTunes "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported" need to upgrade then downgrade the baseband as described here [Solved] iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1 Stuck in Baseband 05.15.04 - No Service because they are impossible to carrier unlock then after that install the Whited00r 6 for iPhone 3G Unlock version.

Offline Ihatewindows

• Linux fanboy and master doxer
    • View Profile
    • FedoraFiles
  • My Computer: Linux
Re: [Solved] Better Battery Life Tips - Whited00r 6 iPhone 3G & 2G, iPod Touch
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 03:15:05 AM »
...Since I had a iPod Touch 1G the battery life was drained within 3 hours of use...

Among other things like the ones PierreP pointed out, it could also depend on the amount of data it is processing. If you disable some graphical effects like say folder/multitasking transparencies, that could help a lot if you use those features often. I would also say to get SBSettings so that you can close apps that are chewing up your RAM and running in the background.

All jailbreaking is is installing some BusyBox utilities and an extra repository for apps. It should not use any more battery power by itself.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 03:17:57 AM by Ihatewindows »
Please remember to dispose of hazardous material properly.