Author Topic: Smartphone Other Than Apple Suggestions?  (Read 8600 times)

Offline Andy

• A Mod. I think.
  • Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Whited00r 7
    • View Profile
    • Whited00r
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Mac
Re: Smartphone Other Than Apple Suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 05:40:25 AM »
Andy, Millions Of People Worldwide Prefer Using The Plastic Phone More Than iPhone 5, The Only Thing You Care About Is How The Device Was Made! What About Its Specifications?! :o

My point was... Galaxy S4 is a high-end smartphone and yet it uses a cheap material that makes it look "cheap"
I would prefer the HTC One over the iPhone 5 to be honest, even though I prefer Apple in many things.
Specs in Apple Smartphones don't really matter much compared to Android Phones.

The iOS System doesn't require the hardware to be 2GB RAM to run as smooth as the S4 on Android.
Reason why most (all) medium-range to high-end Android phones have "better" hardware specs than the iPhones is because of how Android is built. Android itself takes up too much RAM and CPU to run the system itself.

So technically speaking, an iPhone 5 running iOS can still be smoother than a 2GB RAM Android Smartphone.

But since the Original Topic wanted a "Smartphone Other Than Apple", I suggested the HTC One because it is a really good phone.
HTC One has won the "Smartphone of the Year" award and is honestly one of the best phones, according to the reviewers and users. The looks and feels are good + Sense 5 UI. Purely Amazing :)
Oh yes. Hi.
I see you've noticed this Signature. Well, all I can tell you is that there's nothing to see here.
Yes, there is nothing interesting here. Just keep scrolling and we'll pretend nothing happened.

Offline n0s-speed

• Not here for some time. Enrolled in the Army.
    • View Profile
  • Device: Does Not Own iDevice ARMv6
  • My Computer: Windows
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 05:54:43 AM »
Absolutely. HTC Is A Great Brand & It Will Be Always.
R.I.P. Paul Walker [September 12, 1973 - November 30, 2013] ~

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 03:07:11 PM »
...Is A Great Brand & It Will Be Always.

If you can predict the future then could you give me next's week winning lottery number please? ;)

Currently I use a Galaxy S3 as my daily device with a battery life optimized rooted ROM (WanamLite), two iPhone 3G's for Whited00r and a HTC Touch Pro 2, on which I have a custom Windows Mobile ROM, that I did not use for a while & should sell.

I don't mind if the S3 is made of plastic as it is light in my pocket, the back covers choices are multiple & very cheap on Fleabay & the battery is really easy to change.

Offline n0s-speed

• Not here for some time. Enrolled in the Army.
    • View Profile
  • Device: Does Not Own iDevice ARMv6
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 08:22:50 PM »
If you can predict the future then could you give me next's week winning lottery number please? ;)

No One Can Predict The Future, But Your Ability To Know What Will Happen During Next Two Or Three Days Stems From An Accurate Vision Of The Events Around You. Each Device Has Its Advantages & Disadvantages, As For Me HTC Is A Wonderful Device Full Of Many Advantages Therefore It Will Be Always A Great Brand.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 08:25:54 PM by n0s-speed »
R.I.P. Paul Walker [September 12, 1973 - November 30, 2013] ~

Offline momircar11

• SuperHero Member
  • Whited00r User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 12:51:04 PM »
I have a ZTE Blade III. It's not very expensive and it has awesome features like ARMv7 CPU of 1GHz, 512mb RAM, 5 mp camera with autofocus, runs one of the latest Android versions, etc.... Just search and see for yourself. ;)
iPhone 3G (8GB) - WD 6.0

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 03:23:31 PM »
I have a ZTE Blade III. It's not very expensive and it has awesome features like ARMv7 CPU of 1GHz, 512mb RAM, 5 mp camera with autofocus, runs one of the latest Android versions, etc.... Just search and see for yourself. ;)

Except for the fact it doesn't run at the peak of what Jelly bean can handle.   Jelly bean redid a lot of how android handles stuff, and 512 isn't even the minumum recommended RAM to run Jelly Bean on (it was designed for at least 1GB, as it uses up nearly 512MB just idling now).

So, your support of the latest android versions isn't going to last for long :(   My droid 3 with dual core 1.2ghz and 512 mb ram can barely run jelly bean.  (Admittedly it has to use kexec kernels to handle the 512mb ram, but still).

Offline iTechy21

• Bashing the shell
  • Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Well errr... Stuff :3
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
  • Device: iPod Touch 1G
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 03:51:49 PM »
Except for the fact it doesn't run at the peak of what Jelly bean can handle.   Jelly bean redid a lot of how android handles stuff, and 512 isn't even the minimum recommended RAM to run Jelly Bean on (it was designed for at least 1GB, as it uses up nearly 512MB just idling now).

So, your support of the latest android versions isn't going to last for long :(   My droid 3 with dual core 1.2ghz and 512 mb ram can barely run jelly bean.  (Admittedly it has to use kexec kernels to handle the 512mb ram, but still).
But running a custom firmware you can get it running on a galaxy mini (with 270mb of ram and a dual core 600mhz) idles with about 100mb of ram used (better than stock :P ) you can get lighter versions of android for old and new devices that are popular easily
Follow me on twitter! | Subscribe to my YouTube Channel! | Follow my blog!
Please Read all the stickies if you're new. And follow the rules, please :)

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »
But running a custom firmware you can get it running on a galaxy mini (with 270mb of ram and a dual core 600mhz) idles with about 100mb of ram used (better than stock :P ) you can get lighter versions of android for old and new devices that are popular easily

Yes, you can get lighter versions, but really it is optimized for more than 512 (might not be 1gb needed, but more than 512 is recommended).

Still, even these old things will eventually get slow :(

Offline iTechy21

• Bashing the shell
  • Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Well errr... Stuff :3
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
  • Device: iPod Touch 1G
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2013, 07:09:15 PM »
Yes, you can get lighter versions, but really it is optimized for more than 512 (might not be 1gb needed, but more than 512 is recommended).

Still, even these old things will eventually get slow :(
Not if this becomes a reality Phoneblocks
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDAw7vW7H0c&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]

Edit by Andy: Fixed the links and the YouTube video linking. ;)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 07:11:49 PM by Andy »
Follow me on twitter! | Subscribe to my YouTube Channel! | Follow my blog!
Please Read all the stickies if you're new. And follow the rules, please :)