Author Topic: Error ''Unable to play Movie Format'' in iPhone 2G or 3G  (Read 5346 times)

Offline muhamadnazim12

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 2G
  • My Computer: Windows
Error ''Unable to play Movie Format'' in iPhone 2G or 3G
« on: August 27, 2013, 11:41:03 AM »
Hello
I have found iPhone 2G unable to play any format while buffering through some streaming websites and its only play Mp4, flv etc format . i need to know is there any tweak which will apply so that it should play formats like  H.264, H.263, VC-1. DivX, VP8, WMV7 etc.

Hope some will reply with a genuine answer.

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Linux
Re: Error '' Unable to play Movie Format'' in Iphone 2G.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 03:15:02 PM »
I don't think even the latest iOS can play those formats :o   There may be an app that is designed to play it, but more often than not the iPhone can't stream from sites unless there is a specific app built for the site, or they cared about mobile support :(

Offline Pokey818

• Whited00r #2 Helper
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPod Touch 2G
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 06:02:38 PM »
use skyfire web browser?

Offline leejenshil

• graphical disianer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 06:08:31 PM »
iphone 2g & 3g does not support eny of thoes formats, so this isn't a whited00r issu, you could try to download the video on your oc and use some video converter etc.

Offline Pokey818

• Whited00r #2 Helper
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPod Touch 2G
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 06:27:16 PM »
some browser support some special video format. actually just download the video and open it on ifile should work?

Offline muhamadnazim12

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 08:07:17 AM »
it seems to me most of the streaming websites uses these kind of formats or similar for HD viewing ,
and its nonsense to download and then convert then play , now people use to play videos as it is who are frequently connected with wifi .

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 03:53:09 PM »
Yes, most of them do, although a lot of popular streaming sites have either mobile apps designed for them (although it's a doubt they support 3.1.3, and there is nothing we can do to fix that), or else have an option for mobile format on the site.  I know blog sites like modmyi embed youtube videos, and provide a mobile link below, and netflix does have a mobile app, but it doesn't work on 3.1.3 :(

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
Apps to Play Various Movie Formats in iPhone 2G & iPhone 3G
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 03:38:53 AM »
...iPhone 2G unable to play any format while buffering through some streaming websites and its only play Mp4, flv etc format . i need to know is there any tweak which will apply so that it should play formats like  H.264, H.263, VC-1. DivX, VP8, WMV7 etc...

The Skyfire (plays Dailymotion & Metacafe videos) & several other web browsers like like Atomic, Portal, Mercury, Opera Mini & iCab Mobile are available in in Whitedoor's App Time Machine.

There is also Oplayer v1.02 (mp3/wma/wmv/avi/rm/rmvb/mp4/3gp/mkv/mpg & plays audio/video streaming over HTTP) and Justin.tv v3.5 in App Time Machine. There is maybe other video players apps in > App Time Machine > Entertainement but it did not try them all like VLC Remote to stream from your computer, etc.

FYI from Apple support iPhone 2G - Technical Specifications:

Video
Video formats supported: H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 768 Kbps, 320 by 240 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

...you could try to download the video on your oc and use some video converter etc.

Or you can simply use the free iTools iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad manager (click on English) and simply drag & drop videos in the > Device's name > Media > Video folder and it will automatically convert it to a supported format for some of them after asking you to download a converter plugin.  ;) Or use the Import button and navigate in your computer to the video files you want.

Offline VictorBarrett

• Whited00r iPhone 3G User
    • View Profile
    • My Music Website
  • My Computer: Mac
Re: Error ''Unable to play Movie Format'' in iPhone 2G or 3G
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 06:52:37 PM »
The iTools app for Mac seems very useful but I have a question: for which movie types/formats does the plugin/codec request automatically start up?
V.R.

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
Re: iTools for Mac & Video Conversion?
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 11:45:46 PM »
The iTools app for Mac seems very useful but I have a question: for which movie types/formats does the plugin/codec request automatically start up?

I don't know because:

1- I don't have a Mac.

2- iTools is a free Chinese software with very little documentation in English.

When I made the screen capture above I was dragging a flv file that got converted very fast.

Why don't you test it yourself on a Mac by dragging various small video formats and tell us which one gets installed on the device w/o any conversion, which ones get converted and which ones do not and report here?   ;)