Author Topic: [Solved] How to Update iPod Touch 1G iOS 2.2.1?  (Read 6989 times)

Offline SM

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPod Touch 1G
  • My Computer: Windows
[Solved] How to Update iPod Touch 1G iOS 2.2.1?
« on: August 27, 2013, 06:49:41 PM »
Can anyone explain how I can update my 1st Gen iPod Touch 1G running iOS 2.2.1 currently? I have searched Youtube, but the only helpful ones I've found are for iOS 3.1.3 or higher.

I've looked online, and again didn't find anything helpful for anything lower than iOS 3.1.3.  ???

Thanks!

PierreP Moderator note: Edited thread title to add relevant keywords as described in Whited00r 6: Tips to Quickly Solve your Problems/Bugs & Get Answers FAST! and fixed a few typos.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 04:53:23 PM by bcooperizcool »

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Linux
Re: Update Ipod touch 1G 2.2.1 ios
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 07:07:01 PM »
Welcome to the forums :)

The newest firmware you can update your device to is 3.1.3, although you would want to use whited00r instead because that gives you more features as well as access to the App Time Machine which has hundreds of archived applications that at one point supported 3.1.3.

You won't be able to run the latest firmware, or use apps that require it however :(

A good read for first time whited00r users (and any time you may have an issue):
Whited00r 6 - FAQ & Troubleshooting - READ BEFORE POSTING!

One thing to make note of, I don't think any of your app data would be compatible with 3.1.3 or the tools used to back up up manually, but you can try after you restore to stock 3.1.3 restoring from a backup of your device.
Either way, if you need to back up data, use this tutorial:
[Tutorial] Backup Apps & Data BEFORE Upgrading iOS Firmware WD 6 3.1.3 4.1 4.2.1 
You only need to backup/restore data if you want to!

So, step by step what you should do:

1. Open iTunes with your device connected and select "Update" to update to stock 3.1.3
   a. Once it is restored you can do the following steps ;)

2. Download iReb v5 for windows and whited00r 6 for your device from the Whited00r 6 for iPod touch 1G download page

3. With your iPod connected, open up iReb and select your device and follow the instructions on-screen until it gives you a popup saying it has completed.

4. Close iReb, and open up iTunes.

5. Shift+click the restore button in iTunes, and navigate to the folder where you downloaded the whited00r .ipsw to, and select it.

6. Leave your device alone while it restores to whited00r.

7. After it completes, do not restore from a backup of your device in iTunes, rather set up as a new device and use the manual method to restore the data you backup up earlier (in the thread I linked to before the install instructions).  You only need to backup/restore data if you want to!

8. Let the device sit for 5 minutes.
   a. Hold down the home/power buttons at the same time until the device shuts off. This is called a hard reset (don't worry, it doesn't delete any data or anything!).
   b. Turn the device back on, and after it is done starting app (not showing the apple logo anymore), wait another 5 minutes.
   c. Do another hard reset, and turn the device back on again and you should be good to go!

That's it! :)

Offline Pokey818

• Whited00r #2 Helper
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPod Touch 2G
Re: Update Ipod touch 1G 2.2.1 ios
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 07:35:50 PM »
save your shsh first !!!!!

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
Re: Update iPod Touch 1G To Lower than iOS 3.1.3 & Saving SHSH
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 07:56:01 PM »
...I've looked online, and again didn't find anything helpful for anything lower than iOS 3.1.3.  ???

Why do you want to use an iOS lower than iOS 3.1.3?  :o

Try Whited00r and I don't think you will want anything else for your iPod Touch 1G.  ;)

And if you want to make it faster with a better battery life, see the Whited00r Configuring Features chapter in the sticky (it means an important thread pinned at the top of the forum list) Whited00r 6 - FAQ & Troubleshooting - READ BEFORE POSTING! with answers to many questions you might have.

save your shsh first !!!!!

There is no need to save his SHSH unless he would want to go back to the old iOS 2.2.1 but even then if if follows the backup tutorial linked above it's a waste of time IMO in this case.

Offline SM

• View Profile
iTunes Error 1604 iPod Touch 1G
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 08:35:38 PM »
Thank you!

I have one more qwestion, I keep getting unknown error 1604 when the ipod is restoring in itunes. It says is a USB port or cable issue so I tried a different cord, different usb port, but the same error keeps coming up. It restores to 2.2.1 just fine, so how can it be a USB issue? Is there anything else I can try?

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
Re: iTunes Error 1604
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 08:41:18 PM »
...I keep getting unknown error 1604 when the ipod is restoring in itunes...

Try this Whited00r Site Search search & please report here if it worked for you: site:whited00r.com [Solved] iPod Touch error 1604 and you will find plenty of threads where that error was Solved.  ;)

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
Re: iTunes Error 1604 iPod Touch 1G
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 08:42:01 PM »
Does it give you that error when you restore to 3.1.3 straight from iTunes by clicking the update software button?

I don't know of any PWNED DFU tools that work with 2.x as most of the ones that are online support 3.1.3 at the lowest :(

Offline SM

• View Profile
Re: How to Update iPod Touch 1G iOS 2.2.1?
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 02:48:18 PM »
Thank you for the link! I just finished trying the suggestions in the first one and still nothing. Ill be sure to post one if it works.  :)

When Im in itunes, i cant update to ios 3.1.3, it says there arent any updates. However, when I was in DFU mode after running Ireb, I was able to restore to a 3.1.3 ios the way it should have worked with whited00r.... Its wierd that it will restore the 3.1.3 but not whited00r. ???
Should I maybe try PWNED now that ive restored to 3.1.3 ios or would it matter?

I did Jailbreak using 'jailbreakme' could that be a problem?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 03:52:25 PM by SM »

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 03:47:55 PM »
It may be odd, but you may have needed to update your iTunes version if you updated that as often if not less than your iPod iOS.   Either way, being on 3.1.3 you do need (or should) enter PWNED DFU mode using iReb v5 that I linked to above, then restore to whited00r and you should be good to go :)

Offline SM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 04:15:36 PM »
Whited00r is now on but not cydia....
I restored to 3.1.3 with the same instructions that were posted here for whited00r. Once I had 3.1.3, I did what you suggested and tried whited00r again and IT WORKED! I guess the only thing holding up the restore process was the 2.2.1 ios.
The only issue now, is that I dont have Cydia. I have stocks and terminal icons where cydia should be...

Offline BetterFolders

• View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 2G
  • My Computer: Mac
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 04:19:50 PM »

The only issue now, is that I dont have Cydia. I have stocks and terminal icons where cydia should be...

It's in the app market :) just open it up and swipe...

Offline SM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 04:30:38 PM »
Haha, thank you all! With all of your incredibly kind help, Whited00r is on and I found Cydia. Thank you!

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 04:57:10 PM »
Haha, thank you all! With all of your incredibly kind help, Whited00r is on and I found Cydia. Thank you!

BTW a must read for all new Whited00r users is the sticky (it means an important thread pinned at the top of the forum list) Whited00r 6 - FAQ & Troubleshooting - READ BEFORE POSTING! with answers to many questions you might have including that one.  ;)