Author Topic: The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (23).  (Read 13890 times)

May 22, 2011, 03:12:39 AM
Read 13890 times

mlah384

• Information Offline
  • whited00r.com
    • View Profile
I was trying to jailbreak my old 2G for my son to use as a iPod touch and I think I broke it. I tried several different jailbreaking utilities and none worked. Now the phone is not usable at all and must be restored but the only error I get is "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (23)." no matter what I'm trying to restore it to. Is the phone a brick now?

HELP!

Thanks

May 22, 2011, 03:30:32 AM
Reply #1

RagingNinja

• Information Offline
  • SuperHero Member
  • Ninja
    • View Profile
    • Whited00r
  • Device: iPhone 2G
  • My Computer: Windows
I assume you tried restoring it from Recovery mode?
iPhone 2G, 8GB - iPhone 4S, 16GB, iOS v6.1
Multi-Tasking v1.0.3 - Folders v1.2.1 - iOS 3 Wallpaper 1.0.2(1)
WD Recommended/Compatible Tweaks, Themes, etc. | My Repo: cydia.ragingninja.bplaced.net

May 22, 2011, 03:32:36 AM
Reply #2

mlah384

• Information Offline
  • whited00r.com
    • View Profile
*UPDATE*

I tried to run Blackra1n but it just stayed on "waiting on phone" message. So I kept trying to restore it to something. I don't know what I did, but I finally got it to begin installing 3.1.2 but about 5 minutes after the install began, the phone screen went solid white and then iTunes threw the "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (23)." error again. I ran Blackra1n again and it now stays on "running...".

Is the phone shot? Anyone else have this problem before? 

May 22, 2011, 03:35:01 AM
Reply #3

mlah384

• Information Offline
  • whited00r.com
    • View Profile
I assume you tried restoring it from Recovery mode?

Yes, I held down both buttons for 10 seconds, released the power button then continued to hold down home button for another 10 seconds. That's the only way I could get iTunes to even see the phone. If I dont do that, the apple logo just stays on the screen.

May 22, 2011, 03:36:54 AM
Reply #4

RagingNinja

• Information Offline
  • SuperHero Member
  • Ninja
    • View Profile
    • Whited00r
Error Code 23 indicates a hardware issue click HERE to read about it on the Apple Support page, so it MIGHT be a hardware issue/malfunction.

Try these methods and report back if you would:

iREB (Windows ONLY). It will put it in pwned DFU mode.

As you've said it would work try restoring to Stock Apple 3.1.3 (via iTunes, again)

Also try restoring to Stock Apple 3.1.2 (via iTunes)
WD Recommended/Compatible Tweaks, Themes, etc. | My Repo: cydia.ragingninja.bplaced.net

May 22, 2011, 03:38:58 AM
Reply #5

RagingNinja

• Information Offline
  • SuperHero Member
  • Ninja
    • View Profile
    • Whited00r
You could also try a different computer. I know I kept getting a 3194 error while trying to update my brother's iPhone 4 (legit SIM and everything) to iOS 4.3.3 and so I tried my computer and it worked like a charm. ;)

May 22, 2011, 03:42:34 AM
Reply #6

mlah384

• Information Offline
  • whited00r.com
    • View Profile
Do i have to have a sim card in the phone? This one has no sim card.

Also, the phone was fine but wouldnt let me use it, install apps, etc. because it kept asking for a sim card. So i though jailbreaking it would solve this issue. So when I tried to jail break it, thats when all the problems started. I also read somewhere that I needed to install a really old version of iTunes on a computer that has never had iTunes installed on it then try to flash the phone to a really old bios or something to that nature. Is that necessary? Is there not a way to erase all of iTunes then install an older version?

May 22, 2011, 03:47:49 AM
Reply #7

RagingNinja

• Information Offline
  • SuperHero Member
  • Ninja
    • View Profile
    • Whited00r
Ohhh.... no no no.. Lol.

You need the most recent version of iTunes (iTunes v10.2.2) so you won't run into problems. Its not your computer's BIOS or anything. If its your computer then its something specifically with the computer and changing which computer your using will probably fix the problem (if its fixable).

Yes, if your iPhone is NOT jailbroken it will remain deactivated (Connect to iTunes screen or emergency call ONLY screen).

This is fixable by Jailbreaking/Unlocking the device. ;)

First thing is first though, and that is to restore your iDevice to Stock Apple Firmware. (I would recommend you restore to WD after you get it successfully restored to Stock Apple firmware. It is much faster)

May 22, 2011, 03:54:10 AM
Reply #8

mlah384

• Information Offline
  • whited00r.com
    • View Profile
Error Code 23 indicates a hardware issue click HERE to read about it on the Apple Support page, so it MIGHT be a hardware issue/malfunction.

Try these methods and report back if you would:

iREB (Windows ONLY). It will put it in pwned DFU mode.

As you've said it would work try restoring to Stock Apple 3.1.3 (via iTunes, again)

Also try restoring to Stock Apple 3.1.2 (via iTunes)

I downloaded iREB and tried it. I tried to restore both the downloaded 3.1.2 and the iTunes 3.1.3 and still get the same "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (23)." error... ;(

May 22, 2011, 04:05:56 AM
Reply #9

mlah384

• Information Offline
  • whited00r.com
    • View Profile

May 22, 2011, 04:20:08 AM
Reply #10

RagingNinja

• Information Offline
  • SuperHero Member
  • Ninja
    • View Profile
    • Whited00r
You can try it, its worth a shot. But I don't think it would fix it. (Considering this post was in '09)

May 22, 2011, 04:38:05 AM
Reply #11

mlah384

• Information Offline
  • whited00r.com
    • View Profile
I just tried iREB then tried to restore firmware 1.1.4 with the latest version of iTunes and now i get the (1601) error.... Should I try a different firmware? like 2.0 or 2.0.1?

May 22, 2011, 04:54:21 AM
Reply #12

RagingNinja

• Information Offline
  • SuperHero Member
  • Ninja
    • View Profile
    • Whited00r
I just tried iREB then tried to restore firmware 1.1.4 with the latest version of iTunes and now i get the (1601) error.... Should I try a different firmware? like 2.0 or 2.0.1?

To be honest, 3.1.3 would be the best bet. But as of now... I would say try a different computer (possibly a MAC if you can.)

If you still get an Error Code 23 from a different computer (while trying to restore 3.1.3) then I think it is definitely your hardware. Sorry I couldn't have been more help...

May 22, 2011, 05:07:25 AM
Reply #13

mlah384

• Information Offline
  • whited00r.com
    • View Profile

To be honest, 3.1.3 would be the best bet. But as of now... I would say try a different computer (possibly a MAC if you can.)

If you still get an Error Code 23 from a different computer (while trying to restore 3.1.3) then I think it is definitely your hardware. Sorry I couldn't have been more help...

2.0.1 worked!!!! It installed with no errors!

May 22, 2011, 05:08:44 AM
Reply #14

mlah384

• Information Offline
  • whited00r.com
    • View Profile
Now I'm getting the "no SIM card" message... whats the workaround for that? Do I just use Blackra1n?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 05:12:49 AM by mlah384 »