Author Topic: How to install Whited00r on an iphone 3g using Redsn0w  (Read 22360 times)

Offline Russet

• whited00r.com
    • View Profile
How to install Whited00r on an iphone 3g using Redsn0w
« on: August 12, 2011, 09:08:40 AM »
How to install Whited00r on an iphone 3g using Redsn0w

Information and instructions on how to jailbreak and unlock your iPhone 3G on the 4.2.1 firmware using RedSn0w for Mac and install whited00r 4.4.1

First some information

a)   These instructions are given in good faith but if you chose to jailbreak your phone you may invalidate Apple warranties and you do so at your own risk.

b)   To install whited00r it is necessary to jailbreak the phone. This is not difficult using Redsn0w which will patch the operating system of the phone to stop the phone from prohibiting certain processes.

Note that following these instructions you can always reload the genuine Apple firmware available from Whited00r to return the phone to the unjailbroken condition.

c)   Note that jailbreaking is not unlocking the phone. Unlocking the phone is a more involved process that allows the phone to use SIM cards from other telephone service providers. See note on unlocking below.

d)   When jailbroken the phone will still be able to access the apple apps store and sync with your computer.

e)   Care needs to be taken with the phone baseband (to be found under Settings/General/About/Modem firmware/...) Using these instructions apple iOS 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 can run satisfactorily on the baseband for apple iOS 4.2.1.

f)   This process will wipe your phone clean. You will be able to resync your music, ringtones, apps, etc through itunes. You will lose information kept in apps such as notes, information kept in security file vaults, etc. Be careful.

g)   Whited00r 4.4.1 runs on Apple iOS 3.1.3 so Apple iphone apps that are only iOS 4 compatible will NOT run on Whited00r 4.4.1

Why Install Whited00r?

a)   The iphone 3G is very sluggish under Apple iOS 4.x. Whited00r 4.4.1 is running on Apple iOS 3.1.3 which makes it run much faster. Whited00r 4.4.1 has been modified so it will provide most of the functions of Apple iOS 4.x while providing the speed of iOS 3.1.3.

b)   I found that under iOS 4.1 the battery life of my iphone was very short (8 hours max) and progressively getting worse. As soon as I loaded new firmware the battery life extended dramatically - it was a software problem and not a dud battery.

c)   You can access the Cydia apps store and use non approved apps for the iphone

To Install Whited00r:

Step 1
a)   Create a folder on your desktop called Whited00r.

b)   Download  RedSn0w 0.9.6b4 (this is the version for apple 4.2.1 firmware) and place it in the Whited00r. Extract the redsn0w app from the RedSn0w zip file by double clicking it.

c)   Likewise, download the Apple 4.2.1 firmware from whited00r at http://www.whited00r.com and place it in the same folder. For 4.2.1 (3G):  iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw

d)   Download RecBoot and place in the same folder just in case you need it.

e)   Download whited00r 4.4.1 firmware from http://www.whited00r.com and place in the same folder. if your phone is linked to a telephone service company you must use the normal version (and not the unlocked version) of whited00r.

Step 2?
(NOTE: If your iphone is already using Apple iOS 4.2.1 you can skip this step. You can check your iphone firmware by going into Settings/General/About and it is shown under “Version”.)?

a)   Connect your iPhone to the computer and launch iTunes.

b)   Select your iPhone from the list of devices on the left.

c)   Now hold down Option key and click the Restore button.

d)   Navigate to the Whited00r folder on your desktop and select the Apple 4.2.1 firmware .ipsw file. Click the Choose button to continue.

Step 3?
Wait for a while and let it finish, do not disturb it. It may take 10 mins. Once iTunes has finished updating your iPhone to the desired firmware wait for a while to allow the phone to activate but do not sync with itunes (switch off the automatically sync tick boxes).

A this stage the phone may show you an image of the connecting cable saying the phone is locked. Disconnect the usb cable from the phone, unlock the phone (put in the pin number) then reconnect the phone with the usb cable. The phone should activate with Apple.

Step 4

Now open the Whited00r folder on your desktop and launch the redsn0w application from the redsn0w folder we extracted earlier.

Once RedSn0w opens click the Browse button

Step 5

Find and select the Apple 4.2.1 firmware .ipsw file we placed in the Whited00r folder on our desktop then click Open.

Step 6
?Redsn0w will check that it is the right firmware. Once the firmware has been verified click the Next button to continue

Step 7
?RedSn0w will now prepare the jailbreak data.

Step 8
?Redsn0w will display a window from which you can select the jailbreak options you would like. Switch all options off except the last one “Just enter pwned DFU mode” which should be switched on. Whited00r will look after the rest.

Step 9
?Make sure your iPhone is plugged into the computer.
Switch it OFF (to switch it off press the on/off button at the top right of the iphone and slide the “slide to power off slider” the screen should be blank and the phone totally inactive).
Get ready for step 10 (read and understand it first), then click the Next button.

Step 10
?RedSn0w will now guide you through the steps to get into DFU mode. You will need to be quick. Hold the phone to easily access the on/off button (at the top right edge of the phone) and home button (large button at the bottom on the front)
Click the next button and RedSn0w will count you through the steps:

1)   Hold down the on/off button for 3 seconds.

2)   Hold down both the Home button and the Power button for 10 seconds.

3)   Release the Power button and continue holding the Home button until RedSn0w detects the device about 10 more seconds..

Step 11
?Once this is complete you will be notified that RedSn0w is done. Click the Finish button.

Step 12
Now your iDevice is jailbroken and in Pwned DFU Mode.

Step 13
Launch iTunes. You may be asked to allow the phone to be checked with apple, click check. You will now have a screen saying an iphone is in restore mode, click OK.
Now while holding down the Option key click restore.

Navigate to the Whited00r folder on your desktop and select the Whited00r 4.4.1 firmware .ipsw file. Click the Choose button to continue.?
Wait for a while and let the restore finish, do not disturb it. It may take 10 mins. Once iTunes has finished updating your iPhone to the desired firmware wait for a while to allow the phone to switch itself on and activate but do not sync with itunes (switch off the automatically sync tick boxes).

A this stage the phone may show you an image of the connecting cable saying the phone is locked. Disconnect the usb cable from the phone, unlock the phone (put in the pin number) then reconnect the phone with the usb cable. The phone should activate with Apple.

If the computer displays a screen saying it has encountered an error 1014 or 1015, it means your restore is complete, just kick your iDevice out of recovery mode loop using iREB (Recovery Mode Loop Fixer) or by using RecBoot. I didn’t have this problem but I have used RecBoot in the past, it is very easy to use.

Step 14
itunes will now ask if you wish to use backup or setup as new phone. You must select setup as new phone.

You are now finished and can use itunes to reload all your apps. You will need to reenter passwords (wifi, app store, etc) on your phone.

Language

You may find the phone starts in Japanese (mine did). To change the language when you can’t understand a word of it go here: http://www.wikihow.com/Change-the-Language-on-an-iphone-3G

NOTES
Unlocking the iphone so you can use other SIM cards is a more complicated procedure and is dependent on the modem firmware (known as baseband) your phone uses. Mine is using Modem firmware 05.15.04. At present this cannot be unlocked until our friends behind the scenes work out how to crack it.

Warning
Some people are suggesting that you can load an ipad modem firmware which can be unlocked. DO NOT DO THIS because there is no way of recovering back to an iphone modem firmware. Apple will recognise you have changed to an ipad firmware and will not support your phone any more.

I will be waiting patiently for the unlock for my current baseband to be available.

Offline Russet

• whited00r.com
    • View Profile
Re: How to install Whited00r on an iphone 3g using Redsn0w
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 01:49:26 AM »
Update

Many hits on these instructions, I hope they have been useful.

I have now been running Whited00r since I posted these instructions. The phone has performed well during this time and the battery is still lasting well indicating that, as I suspected, the short battery life was a software issue not a tired battery. Thank you Whited00r and the team.

The phone has been steadily slowing down over time and is starting to be a pain in the proverbial. I have tried rebooting to clear it out but this has not given any improvement.

All the best

Russet