Author Topic: [Solved] iPod could not be restored - An unknown error occurred (1604)  (Read 20752 times)

December 28, 2012, 06:17:53 AM
Read 20752 times

alexshr

• Information Offline
  • Whited00r User
    • View Profile
Hello Guys !

I have 2nd Generation iPod Touch (MB Series). And before installing whited00r firmware I thoroughly read the installation guide.

I then download the firmware (http://sourceforge.net/projects/whited00r/files/6.0/iPodTouch2G_WD6.zip/download) and verified it with md5sum, which is fine.

I then tried to restore the firmware to my iPod following the guide of installation (http://www.whited00r.com/installation.php).

Itunes tries to restore the file but after 3-5 minutes it gives an error message

"The iPod "iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (1604)"

I followed the error message and looked for more information on apples site where they mention that it might be a problem of my usb connector. But my connector is working good.

I tried re-installing several times with recovery mode as well. But still unsuccessful.

Please help. As this is my first time with firmware installation and I haven't made any backup of my previous firmware. Sounds so stupid but I agree. :(

My iTunes version :

Error shown by iTunes

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 09:43:13 AM by PierreP »

December 28, 2012, 06:46:07 AM
Reply #1

PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Information Offline
  • SuperHero Member
  • Administrator
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Windows
I know nothing about iPod flashing but doing a whited00r site search with your error number may give some clues http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site%3Awww.whited00r.com+ipod+touch+installation+error+%221604%22

This said a couple of weeks ago I had sync problems and after trying everything I could think of, I bought a new data connector cable and that solved the problem. <slap on the forehead>

December 28, 2012, 08:25:50 AM
Reply #2

alexshr

• Information Offline
  • Whited00r User
    • View Profile
Thank you PierreP for posting the link to solution.

I think this might be the only solution for me as well.

Anyway I am also downloading the latest firmware from apple and will try to reset with that as well.

Thank you.

December 28, 2012, 10:00:38 AM
Reply #3

alexshr

• Information Offline
  • Whited00r User
    • View Profile
Successfully installed the custom whited00r firmware but it shows the version 3.1.3 I was expecting more like 5.0.1 or more.

Anyway I am happy that I am able to restore it.

The procedure I did was :
1. Installed the latest iRebhttp://rapidshare.com/files/348395888/iH8sn0w-iREB-V3.1.2-For-Windows-English.zip

The link was available in http://www.redmondpie.com/fix-1604-1603-1602-1601-1600-error-jailbreak-iphone-3.1.3-ipsw-custom-restore/

2. Then I ran the iReb then clicked in iPod Touch 2G and followed the on-screen instructions for changing to DFU Mode.

3. After iPod goes to DFU mode I then re0tried to re-store custom firmware (whited00r).
4. Only the verifying iPod Software step took around 15-20 minutes after that another 10 minutes and after my iPod starting working normally.

:)

December 28, 2012, 10:30:16 AM
Reply #4

PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Information Offline
  • SuperHero Member
  • Administrator
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
Successfully installed the custom whited00r firmware but it shows the version 3.1.3 I was expecting more like 5.0.1 or more...

Bravo!

Now you can update your first post so people can find the solution to a similar problem quickly: change the "Message icon:" to Thumb Up

And thanks for posting back how you did it.  8)

Installed the latest iReb...

In the whited00r Tutorial - Solve Installation Errors it says:

iReb
iReb could help you to solve some iTunes errors during Whited00r installation.

To really find the most recent version of iReb the best is naturally to go to the iReb Team Home site  ;)

FYI: You can't install anything above iOS 4.2.1 on iPhone 3G or iPod Touch 2nd Gen because of the CPU limitation as 4.3 and above use a different set of instructions:

iPod Touch 1st Gen (max iOS 3.1.3)
    iPod Touch 2nd Gen (max iOS 4.2.1)
    iPhone (max iOS 3.1.3)
    iPhone 3G (max iOS 4.2.1 but it's dog-slow, whited00r based on iOS 3.1.3 is much more fluid with plenty of free RAM to run apps)

The ARMv6 CPU cannot understand instruction sets made for ARMv7.

From this page: The iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G are able to run iOS 4 (barely) and they include a armv6 processor.

ARMv7s = iPhone 5, iPad 4
ARMv7  = iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod 3G/4G/5G, iPad, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad Mini 
ARMv6  = iPhone 2G/3G, iPod 1G/2G

December 28, 2012, 12:20:36 PM
Reply #5

momircar11

• Information Offline
  • SuperHero Member
  • Whited00r User
    • View Profile
Try to restore from iPad baseband...............
iPhone 3G (8GB) - WD 6.0

December 28, 2012, 08:29:27 PM
Reply #6

alexshr

• Information Offline
  • Whited00r User
    • View Profile
Now you can update your first post so people can find the solution to a similar problem quickly: change the "Message icon:" to Thumb Up

Hope so.

To really find the most recent version of iReb the best is naturally to go to the iReb Team Home site

I landed to this page as well, which ultimately took me to the dowload link. There was a file shared on google http://sites.google.com/site/ih8sn0wcom/home/dl/iREB-r6.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

FYI: You can't install anything above iOS 4.2.1 on iPhone 3G or iPod Touch 2nd Gen because of the CPU limitation as 4.3 and above use a different set of instructions:

Now, iTunes shows the update to iOS 4. If I update to iOS 4, will it overwite the whited00r firmware or will reside transparently side by side ? Just curious. Because I don't want to lose the custom firmware. If it resides side by side then I would go updating to iOS 4.

Thank you.

@momircar11:
Couldn't understand what you are trying to say. Please explain more either you are making question or what ?

December 28, 2012, 09:30:45 PM
Reply #7

finkmac

• Banana
  • Information Offline
  • SuperHero Member
  • Administrator
  • Banana
    • View Profile
    • FinkMac's Blog!
  • Device: iPod Touch 1G
  • My Computer: Mac
If you upgrade to iOS 4, it will remove Whited00r and install stock iOS 4.

Banana

December 28, 2012, 10:32:07 PM
Reply #8

PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Information Offline
  • SuperHero Member
  • Administrator
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
Note: I'm re-posting this as it seems that my post was lost, maybe a server problem. Thankfully I always copy the posts to Notepad before making them.

Now, iTunes shows the update to iOS 4. If I update to iOS 4, will it overwite the whited00r firmware or will reside transparently side by side ? Just curious. Because I don't want to lose the custom firmware. If it resides side by side then I would go updating to iOS 4....

Don't do it!  :o

iOS 4.2.1 is a downgrade IMO because it's dog-slow and RAM hungry. That's why the whited00r Team chose iOS 3.1.3 as a base.

And yes installing stock iOS 4+ will wipe out whited00r's firmware as well jail it back to the iTunes prison.

I had the crummy stock iOS 4.2.1 on my iPhone 3G before I was lucky enough to find whited00r while searching for ways to speed up the device as it felt like molasses. And with the tips I posted here, no problems to find more than 400 compatible apps: [Tutorial] whited00r 6 How-To Find iOS 3.1.3 Compatible Apps - iTunes iOS Filter Fix

And try the free, standalone & ad free iTools iPhone explorer for Mac or Windows linked in that thread.

December 29, 2012, 05:43:55 PM
Reply #9

alexshr

• Information Offline
  • Whited00r User
    • View Profile
Sorry I couldn't respond to all of your replies.

I won't upgrade to iOS 4.2.1 and thinking to stick to whited00r firmware.

So far I have seen 2 issues.

1. I installed "Textoo Free SMS Lite", through itunes store which installed fine. But when I tried to run it, It won't start. I don't get any crash report, but the app just won't start. It also happened with terminal but when trying for 2-3 times Terminal would just start but this other application "Textoo Free SMS Lite" won't start.

2. I created folder with two apps in it. When I tried to access the folder, the screen flashes, blinks but then nothing happens, the folder contents won't show up. Once apps are put into folder I can't access them.

I had also problem of empty repos for modmyi, bigboss etc. which i fixed by installing vi to iPod and then creating the bigboss.list, modmyi.list manually by ssh to iPod from linux. I am kind of Linux guy :) Good for me :D.

I would like to have suggestions for the above mentioned 2 points as I don't know what might have caused those problems.

Thank you again for replying to the post. As we are in different timezones I might be responding to your replies quite late. Currently I am in Nepal.

with best regards,
Alexshr

Thank you guys for responding.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 10:42:10 PM by PierreP »