Author Topic: [Solved] PreferenceLoader Update 2.2.0-1 & 2.2.1-1 causes Settings To Crash  (Read 77552 times)

Offline lostreaper

• Poor Rocket Scientist who owns 1st Gen iPhone
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 2G
  • My Computer: Windows
2014-04-20 Update by mattewre: Whited00r 7 includes a previous version of PreferenceLoader that doesn't crash.

2013-08-17 Update by PierreP: I installed the new PreferenceLoader v2.2.1-1 and it also crash the Settings tab, tested on two iPhone 3G, one running Whited00r 6 and the other one on stock iOS 3.1.3.  :-\

So the solutions below remains valid.  ;)

You can either disable the PreferenceLoader MobileSubstarte or install an older but stable PreferenceLoader version.

How to disable PreferenceLoader

Method 1 is to use on your iPhone the free Cydia > Search: iFile (it can also install deb files) and navigate to /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/PreferenceLoader.dylib & edit the file's name by taping on the blue arrow button to open the File Attributes tab and rename PreferenceLoader.dylib to PreferenceLoader.disabled then on Done & after reboot the iPhone to apply the change:

Method 2 is to download the awesome free iTools (click on English) iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad manager on your computer, connect the iPhone and navigate to or cut & paste this in iTools' navigation bar: /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/ and rename PreferenceLoader.dylib to PreferenceLoader.disabled, close iTools, disconnect the iPhone & reboot it to apply the changes:

Method 3: If your are a SBSettings user, you can simply disable PreferenceLoader: > SBSettings > More > Mobile Substrate Addons > and turn OFF PreferenceLoader.

Note: If your are a SBSettings user, you can simply disable PreferenceLoader without the need to replace it with a stable version: > SBSettings > More > Mobile Substrate Addons > and turn OFF PreferenceLoader. It's is not required to use PreferenceLoader really as it is only to show some MobileSubstrate in the Settings tab and it will not affect the SBSettings features and disabling it gives better battery life & a more fluid device. You can also disable Activator while you are there with the same benefits if you don't use it.

Install an older but stable PreferenceLoader Version Solution by tLustej.miCin

WARNING: Do not update Preference Loader via Cydia after doing this!  :o

Hi I experienced this problem too. Sometimes after installing some things the PreferenceLoader begins to crash. And here in the forums is a solution. Not sure where I know it from but I think there is another a bit easier way to fix this kind of issue.

All you need is:
  • Your iDevice connected to PC
  • Program to run on your computer (Windows or Macv): iFunBox or iTools (click on English)
  • Having downloaded a stable version of PreferenceLoader PreferenceLoader v2.1.1-1
  • Having downloaded iFile application (shareware - free) - Cydia BigBoss repo or Cydia > search: iFile
Then:
  • Use your program iFunBox/iTools and place the PreferenceLoader deb into the directory: /var/mobile/
  • Open iFile on your device and go to the folder var/mobile/ and there you will see your PreferenceLoader file
  • Click the file's name and hit Installer
  • Reboot your iDevice by turning it off and on
  • No further magic required. That's it!

Warning: If Cydia ask you to Respring or Restart SpringBoard, don't do it!  :o  Because you will be stuck in the Cydia Infinite Respring loop bug if you are using Whited00r or iOS 3.12 or 3.1.3.  :-\ We asked Saurik the developer of Cydia if he could fix it.

Just tap the Home button instead to close Cydia and in Whited00r 6 you can find a Respring switch in > Settings > General > and scroll to the bottom of the tab. Or turn off the iPhone, wait 5 seconds & turn it back on.

The only way I know to get out of the Respring loop bug is a Hard Reset and if your Power or Home button is broken then you need to let the battery drain until the iPhone shuts down.  :-\

Hard Reset often solve many problems: hold both Home & Power buttons until the Apple logo appears and let go of the buttons & smell the roses while it is doing it's thing.

No worries, hard reset will not change any of your info, tweaks & apps on the device.

2013-05-14 Edit by Moderator bcooperizcool How-to Fix the PreferenceLoader issue

If you do have a broken Settings app, this is how to install/downgrade the version of preference loader.Brace for large images captain!
1. Download the file from here : Preference loader 2.1.1-1.deb
2. Download any of the tools listed above to copy the file to your device (iFunBox, iTools, iExplorer).
--A. Rename the file to something shorter, in my case, preferenceloader.deb
--B. Right click on the .deb and select "Copy".
[spoiler=image]
[/spoiler]
--C. Open up iTools (in my case)
[spoiler=image][/spoiler]
--D. Select "File System"
--E. Navigate to /var/mobile and right click, and choose "Paste"

5. On your iPhone, open up terminal and type in exactly (except for the preferecnceloader.deb, replace that with the name of the file you downloaded and placed in /var/mobile), line by line, pressing return after each line:
su
alpine (this one won't show you have typed anything, so don't worry)
dpkg -i /var/mobile/nameOfDeb.deb (replace with the name of the .deb you downloaded)
killall SpringBoard

7. Now your settings app should open :D

WARNING: Do not update Preference Loader via Cydia after doing this!  :o

YouTube video tutorial thanks to Stat_Jack :)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5kWPPpCNNo[/youtube]

Original post:

Preferenceloader 2.2.0-1 update causes settings app crash to homescreen/SpringBoard, the only solution seems to installing earlier version for now.

Working versions:

Crashing versions are:
  • 2.2.0-1
  • 2.0.2-1
  • 2.2.1-1

Here's an easiest alternative way to fix it:

• Download and install iFile via Cydia, then reboot/respring if it does not automatically.
  • Go to http://goo.gl/SFsu0 (short for the deb) via Safari and tap Open with iFile
  • Then tap installer
  • Reboot/respring

Ta-daa! (;
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 01:22:54 PM by mattewre »

Offline lostreaper

• View Profile
Re: Preferenceloader update causes settings app crash to home screen
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 01:32:09 PM »
installing earlier version fixes the problem. here what I installed but I don't know if it's the latest working version with WD6

http://apt.thebigboss.org/repofiles/cydia/debs2.0/preferenceloader_2.1.1-1_iphoneos-arm.deb

download it to your pc and copy it via ssh or iFunBox etc. and install, reboot.

Ps: Please check your version and tell me if it matches with the link above.

Thx
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 01:35:27 PM by lostreaper »

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Linux
The iOS 6 menu is the sharing menu in whited00r, and it connects to the servers so it can upload images :)

Offline lui22

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
  • My Computer: Mac
I have version 2.0.2-1 and this version makes the settings app crash aswell

Offline lostreaper

• View Profile
I have version 2.0.2-1 and this version makes the settings app crash aswell

Thx for reporting, it has been added to the first post.

Offline Khiz3r

• View Profile
  • Device: Does Not Own iDevice ARMv6
Thnx aLot  ;D

Offline lostreaper

• View Profile
no problem. (;

Offline kishorekadam

• Whited00r User
    • View Profile
hi,
My settings  crashes. can you explain above process , what to do ?

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
hi,
1. Download the file linked in the original post
2. Download any of the tools listed above to copy the file to your device (iFunBox, iTools, iExplorer).
3. Open up the tool you downloaded, and with your iPhone plugged in, navigate to /var/mobile
4. Drag the file you downloaded into /var/mobile
5. On your iPhone, open up terminal
6. Type in exactly (except for the nameOfDeb.deb, replace that with the name of the file you downloaded and placed in /var/mobile), line by line, pressing return after each line:
su
dpkg -i /var/mobile/nameOfDeb.deb (replace with the name of the .deb you downloaded)
killall SpringBoard

Offline kishorekadam

• Whited00r User
    • View Profile
Thanks a ton.It really worked. I am fan of yours. !!!

Offline ohmyapple

• View Profile
hi,
1. Download the file linked in the original post
3. Open up the tool you downloaded, and with your iPhone plugged in, navigate to /var/mobile
4. Drag the file you downloaded into /var/mobile
5. On your iPhone, open up terminal
6. Type in exactly (except for the nameOfDeb.deb, replace that with the name of the file you downloaded and placed in /var/mobile), line by line, pressing return after each line:
su
killall SpringBoard

is this the link that i should download to have preferenceloader on wd6 ios.3.1.3 iphone 3g so i can download winterboard and instal themes ser?http://apt.thebigboss.org/repofiles/cydia/debs2.0/preferenceloader_2.1.1-1_iphoneos-arm.deb

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
If that is the one from the post linked above, yes. :)

Offline ohmyapple

• View Profile
i have installed the preference loader via auto-installer on ifunbox i respring reboot still cant download WINTERBOARD and BIGBOSS REPO is still empty please what can i do?? still...

DEPENDS:preferenceloader
DEPENDS:libhide >=2.0.4   

;(

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
BigBoss repo empty
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 06:58:47 PM »
i have installed the preference loader via auto-installer on ifunbox i respring reboot still cant download WINTERBOARD and BIGBOSS REPO is still empty please what can i do?? still...

DEPENDS:preferenceloader
DEPENDS:libhide >=2.0.4   

;(
The BigBoss repo is empty?  :o
Did you let cydia refresh it's databases completely, rather than canceling it?

Offline fots_rhodes

• View Profile
i follow the steps but the problem still cant fixed...i have iphone 2g and i see this problem with the settings after the pushfixer instalation..what should i do now??? sorry for my english..