Author Topic: [Solved] No Push notifications while screen is off  (Read 8441 times)

Offline lohi

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 2G
  • My Computer: Windows
[Solved] No Push notifications while screen is off
« on: March 04, 2013, 12:33:41 PM »
How to keep push notifications coming while the screen is off
So, if you are here, you probably noticed that you don't get push notifications while the screen is off!
Good news, it isn't the end of the world (unless it is by the time you read this, which then, bad news, it is the end of the world!), there is a simple solution to this huge dilemma :)

Now, both these methods will drain your battery faster, so keep that in mind and disable it whenever you don't need it if you care about battery life ;)

You can, if you are careful about the preference loader install that happens without your consent, you have the choice of the following two SBSettings toggles to allow you quick access to keeping the wifi awake while the screen is off:
PreventSleep
Insomnia toggle (you must install insomnia using the .deb link below first though!)
Keep Awake
Please note, these two WILL install preference loader AND SBSettings, so if you don't want either of those install and don't feel like going through the steps to fix the settings app crashing, move on to the next option ;)

So, you don't feel like using SBSettings, or you just would rather a cleaner/more elegant solution to keeping your wifi awake. This next option is the one for you!

Insonia - The one app I always personally used and loved it. Maybe it was the status bar icon, I'm not sure, I just really enjoyed using this. 
You will need to download it from the link below, as the one in cydia doesn't work any more, even though it lets you install it
Insomnia v3.2.1 3.1.3 compatible

Use iFunBox, iTools, or iPhone explorer and then plug in your device to your computer and then navigate to /var/mobile on your device's file system.
Then copy the insomnia.deb you downloaded and place it in /var/mobile.
Then open up terminal on your device, and line by line type in the following:
su
alpine (this bit won't show what you type, don't worry about that)
dpkg -i /var/mobile/insomnia_3.2.1.deb
reboot

Then you are good to go :)

So, either download insomnia, or choose a SBSettings toggle you want to try out :)

For those of you who went with a SBSettings toggle method, please take a look at this about the settings app crashing!
[Solved] Preference Loader causes settings app to crash!

Now onto the topic I split this off from ;)

Greetings ppl,

Another lost sould with some issues concerning pushfixer. I have an Iphone 2G with WD6 installed and i bought pushfixer, installed it rebooted and ipusher is saying notifications are working fine(altough it can take like 2 min to get the message). Now the problem i'm having is that while i have app in the foreground my notifications seem to work but as soon as i exit the app(home button) or god forbid lock the phone it's bye bye notifications. Now that could be tolerated if the notifications were to activate again when i activate the Iphone(unlock it) that would be satisfactory but alas no luck for me. I am using Viber, Facebook etc..

Help.. :)

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 03:45:23 PM by Bruan »

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Linux
Re: [Solved] No Push notifications while screen is off
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 03:20:32 PM »
Greetigns ppl,

Another lost sould with some issues concerning pushfixer. I have an Iphone 2G with WD6 installed and i bought pushfixer, installed it rebooted and ipusher is saying notifications are working fine(altough it can take like 2 min to get the message). Now the problem i'm having is that while i have app in the foreground my notifications seem to work but as soon as i exit the app(home button) or god forbid lock the phone it's bye bye notifications. Now that could be tolerated if the notifications were to activate again when i activate the Iphone(unlock it) that would be satisfactory but alas no luck for me. I am using Viber, Facebook etc..

to continue getting notifications even when the screen is off, open up cydia and search for "Insomnia" :)  install that, and then open it up and turn it on (this will drain your battery more, but there is simply no way around this :/ ).  As for viber notifications,  I am not sure if anyone else has gotten them working, so it may be an issue with the app itself sadly :(
Actually, after a quick search, I found this thread: Whited00r 6 - No viber push notifications
The last post by the creator of the thread was his response to me asking him to update to 4.2.1 and try the notification out.   He said that they still didnt work, even on non-whited00r firmware, and without the need for pushfix :(  So it looks like viber (and possibly facebook) don't work for anyone else :(

Offline FouadtjuhMaster

• Programmer
    • View Profile
    • FouadtjuhMaster Website
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 09:35:58 PM »
Greetigns ppl,

to continue getting notifications even when the screen is off, open up cydia and search for "Insomnia" :)  install that, and then open it up and turn it on (this will drain your battery more, but there is simply no way around this :/ ).  As for viber notifications,  I am not sure if anyone else has gotten them working, so it may be an issue with the app itself sadly :(
Actually, after a quick search, I found this thread: Whited00r 6 - No viber push notifications
The last post by the creator of the thread was his response to me asking him to update to 4.2.1 and try the notification out.   He said that they still didnt work, even on non-whited00r firmware, and without the need for pushfix :(  So it looks like viber (and possibly facebook) don't work for anyone else :(
Isn't insomnia for iOS 4?

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 10:02:10 PM »
as of iOS 4, insomnia has no use (unless that is only in 4.3.3, but I think it was in just plain iOS 4).

Insomnia keeps the wifi running even when the screen is off, allowing push notifications to come through. iOS 4 did this by default ;)

Insomnia is compatible with iOS 4 though, but it is also compatible with 3.1.3 :)

Offline enalgre

• Whited00r User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 09:15:05 AM »
can i add this toogle to SBsetting ?

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
Insomnia SBSettings toggle
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 02:19:36 PM »
Yes you can :)

Offline enalgre

• Whited00r User
    • View Profile
Re: Insomnia SBSettings toggle
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 02:16:00 AM »
how :(
and today insomnia on my wd crashing :(

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 02:18:54 AM »
Install it from cydia, and download the version linked in the first post :)

Offline enalgre

• Whited00r User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 02:30:21 AM »
Install it from cydia, and download the version linked in the first post :)
i instal it from terminal not a cydia..
if i instal from cydia i need a repo, handsome :D

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 02:40:05 AM »
I meant install the toggle from cydia :)

Offline enalgre

• Whited00r User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 02:43:13 AM »
I meant install the toggle from cydia :)
ok :) :D  ;D

Offline Arseph09

• View Profile
  • Device: Does Not Own iDevice ARMv6
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 07:36:22 AM »
Stumbled onto this post and wanna post a few updates.

1. The .deb file linked by lohi no longer works.
2. Cydia won't let you install insomnia onto the devices now. I requires iOS5 or higher. :)
~Open a WINDOW, eat an APPLE, CHROME some metal, watch an OPERA, make a SAFARI, hunt a FIREFOX, and be an EXPLORER~

Offline [email protected]

• SuperHero Member
  • Old is Smart!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 07:41:24 AM »
Stumbled onto this post and wanna post a few updates.

1. The .deb file linked by lohi no longer works.
2. Cydia won't let you install insomnia onto the devices now. I requires iOS5 or higher. :)
Really I installed it a week ago....
EDIT:your right here you go
admin please attach my file to the 1st post
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 07:48:33 AM by [email protected] »
New Thinking New Possiblities.
Proud owner of the legendary iPhone 3G.
And Proud Owner of the best budget phone Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 and iPad 3

Offline Arseph09

• View Profile
  • Device: Does Not Own iDevice ARMv6
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 07:50:39 AM »
Really I installed it a week ago....

I got server too long to respond error on the site maybe its just on my connection. but the cydia its shown there.
~Open a WINDOW, eat an APPLE, CHROME some metal, watch an OPERA, make a SAFARI, hunt a FIREFOX, and be an EXPLORER~

Offline [email protected]

• SuperHero Member
  • Old is Smart!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 07:53:12 AM »
I got server too long to respond error on the site maybe its just on my connection. but the cydia its shown there.
download my attachment and install ;)
New Thinking New Possiblities.
Proud owner of the legendary iPhone 3G.
And Proud Owner of the best budget phone Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 and iPad 3