Author Topic: Easily update .deb files from your iPhone!  (Read 3471 times)

Deramyr

Easily update .deb files from your iPhone!
« on: March 03, 2011, 01:39:50 AM »
I had a lot of trouble doing this, but in the end it boiled down to only a few things (I'll cover them in a second).

You need to know what you're installing. For this demonstration, I will be installing Darlo's Folders v1.1.

I used iPhoneExplorer to put it in /var/mobile (any program that does this will do) but left it named the same. If you want to change the name to Folders.deb, it can be helpful but I'll assume you didn't. So the name is:
iOS3Folders1.1_Darlo770.deb

If you want to do this entirely from your phone, you will need a download manager. Any will do, I've used iFile though and know where it downloads to (/var/tmp).

The final requirement is Mobile Terminal. You can get it from Saurik's repo (default), just go into Cydia and into Terminal Support and it'll be there.

Now, let's get started! Open Terminal.

If you downloaded it to /var/mobile, you should already be there but, just in case type:
cd /var/mobile
This makes sure you're in the right location.
If you downloaded it to /var/tmp, do:
cd /var/tmp
ls
There should be a list of names come up. You will have to use:
cd names
ls
cd ..
To figure out which contains the right file, once you find it don't "cd ..".

Now type:
ls
Just so you have the name of the file up. If you know what the name is, you shouldn't worry - those who downloaded it to /var/tmp will already have it.

Type:
su
Then enter your root password. The default is "alpine" (without the quotes), if you have changed it you will know what it is. If you get a Command not found error, you will have to install one of the Terminal packages from Cydia. I'm think you should be fine though.

Type:
dpkg -r com.darlo770.folders
This will give you a few messages, but will ultimately remove the original version of folders.
Then type:
dpkg -i iOS3Folders1.1_Darlo770.deb
If you renamed it, you would obviously use that name instead of "iOS3Folders1.1_Darlo770.deb".

Congratulations! You will need to respring or restart your device to get it working properly.

[hr:p4ek4fyl][/hr:p4ek4fyl]

The easy way (assumes you have it installed to /var/mobile and have it named the same:
su
Password
dpkg -r com.darlo770.folders
dpkg -i iOS3Folders1.1_Darlo770.deb

Easy. :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline Gawernator

• @Whited00r Twitter
  • SuperHero Member
  • Whited00r God
    • View Profile
    • Whited00r
  • Device: iPhone 2G
  • My Computer: Mac
Re: Easily update .deb files from your iPhone!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 02:46:59 AM »
Or... uninstall and install the new package xP Just kidding, nice share.

<Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:39 am> [hr:138j99xx][/hr:138j99xx]

stickied
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
iPhone 2G 16GB + iPhone 4 32 GB White <Gawernator> iPhones are made with maple syrup in the processor <Gawernator> in Canada <Gawernator> it causes slowdowns
@Whited00r on Twitter