Author Topic: Ideas for Whited00r & Redd00r - Firmware Flashing Tool & Include Paid Apps?  (Read 6490 times)

Offline Pupilliam

• The Big Cheese
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPod Touch 2G
  • My Computer: Other OS
Whited00r/ Redd00r Plus
So, I have been thinking for a while about some good features that we should integrate into Whited00r/Redd00r, but they are paid tweaks that if we mass-distribute, I would feel like Whited00r/Redd00r pirate ships. So, I thought of a way to give tweak developers their money, and still have a jam-packed firmware for the users of old devices.

A Specific Tool for the Job
   One of the biggest problems of Whited00r/Redd00r (Which will now be referred to as “D00r”), is that users cannot install it on their devices due to lack of technical proficiency. What I want to do with this problem is have a program that will download the correct firmware for the device and restore it without any technical hassle. The way to do this would to use the code that Redsn0w uses to restore devices, but to engineer it into a specific program that would guide users into a simple step-by-step process that would help the user:
1.   Backup their device so they can restore it later.
2.   Enter the device into PWNed DFU mode.
3.   Detect what device firmware it needs and download it.
4.   Grab SHSH blobs from device for restore.
5.   Restore device with D00r firmware.
6.   Restore D00r device from non-D00r backup.
The tool should also be able to flash/unflash iPad Baseband for devices, enter PWNed DFU,  and just jailbreak the devices
without installing the D00r firmware.

-Visible Tweaks
   I know that I am bouncing between firmware compatibility with these tweaks. You have to know what will work with what here. I also know that a bunch of these tweaks are not free, and that issue will be covered later. Also, these features are /in addition to/ the current tweaks.

-Tethering
   There is a program in Cydia that I am very familiar with and I am sure that many people would be happy with this program being integrated into the Settings app just like tethering is on the iPhone. The app that I am referring to is called PDANet. This app lets people tether and hide the tethering from their service provider. This also brings tethering to the iPod touch models of the iOS devices, so you could use your iPod like a USB antenna or a personal WI-FI network. This function could be integrated using a PrefenceLoader entry in the Settings app and you could just hide the icon from SpringBoard.

-Folder Enhancer
   Folder Enhancer is one of the most popular tweaks to enhance folders if the device has native folder’ing capabilities. The popular tweak only works on iOS 4+ due to the fact that earlier versions don’t have native folders. Folder Enhancer should’ve already been included in Redd00r, but it isn’t. There should be a tweak for Whited00r that adds on to the already existing folder tweak that gives the functions of Folder Enhancer on iOS 4 to devices on iOS 3.

-Invisible Speed Tweaks
   I really only have one that would help and that would be to be able to enable/disable daemons that run in the background that aren’t needed. This will free up lots of RAM and would make the device generally faster. Also, you should give it as an option to have Sara installed on the device; it really is not that good.

Now, I want to discuss the legality of installing paid tweaks on devices.
What we should do is charge a small amount of money to people who want a D00r firmware that has paid tweaks on it that activates via UDID and the money should go to the developers who make the tweaks. I am not a fan of piracy, (and we can discuss App Time Machine at a different time >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(), and I want developers to get their fair share for their hard work that they put into their tweaks and apps.

If you have any other ideas for D00r firmware, you can E-Mail me. My E-Mail is on my profile, and I can check out if your idea is technologically sound in the case of iOS.

PierreP Moderator note: Edited thread title to add relevant keywords as described in Whited00r 6: Tips to Quickly Solve your Problems/Bugs & Get Answers FAST!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 09:37:49 PM by Pupilliam »
If you have any questions, Google it first! >:D
Hackintosh Tri-Boot Dell Latitude D820
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit OSx Latitude 10.7 Ubuntu 13.04 64-Bit

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Linux
Re: D00r Ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 09:52:05 PM »
Thank you for this wonderful post (I mean that, it has good ideas in there!).

For the tool to install whited00r and all the baseband stuff, unfortunately, we don't have any windows developers (mac developers maybe, because obj-c is used a lot).
What we can do is greatly improve our tutorials (which we are in the process of doing).  Hopefully this will help lots of users to install whited00r without problem :)

For all the paid tweaks, you need to keep in mind that these old devices can only handle so many substrates at any given time and still be "usable" even with speed ups to the system.  Aside from that, we would need to make some sort of agreement with the developers of these tweaks to allow us to use them, and even then that gets a little tricky :/  It would be much easier just to give instructions on how/where to get these tweaks from the developers for themselves, and just put options into the firmwares that allows for more control over them (so it still feels native, but whited00r doesn't have to handle any of the business side of things).

As for invisible tweaks, there already are a lot of speedup tweaks in whited00r (well, not tweaks as much as mods to enhance the iOS to run as fast as it can, even though it is not the gingerbread man. ).

I do think this thread could turn into a very good discussion topic as well, and get several more good ideas out of it!  Thank you for being creative :)

Offline Pupilliam

• The Big Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 09:56:36 PM »
No problem!
And you guys might find a good Windows dev soon...  ;)

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 10:22:54 PM »
No problem!
And you guys might find a good Windows dev soon...  ;)

Maybe we will!  I do like that idea very much though, it would solve a lot of issues being able to detect what the user needs to do :)   Like really, that is an amazing idea and I feel shamed on my self for not coming up with it first ;)  *douses self in a shower of shame and koala bears*

Offline Pupilliam

• The Big Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 02:45:47 AM »
What you could do is take the source code for Redsn0w (is it open?) and take the restore feature that it has in, modify it to accept D00r firmwares, have it grab SHSH blobs from the device, then stitch the blobs to a program-downloaded D00r firmware, then restore.  ;D
I'll be willing to bet that MuscleNerd would give you a copy of the source code. :)
I was also thinking that when you first boot up the device and the setup app starts, instead of a bunch of unnecessary tweaks already being pre-installed on the device, the setup app should have you select what tweaks to install, and it will have the .deb files already in the file system. If you don't select the tweak during setup, then the .deb of the tweak will be deleted upon reboot after the setup app is finished.

Offline bhoward1025

• www.whited00r.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 02:49:47 AM »
 I ve been running a custom absinthed 5.1.1 and am honestly fed up with it. If its not rebooting to safe mode then it leaking memory by the bucket. I ran Whited00r for a long time on a itouch 1st gen and never had any problems. I know I might as well be asking you to rope me the moon but I was thinking a d00red 5.1.1 stripped of all the useless crap and a little of your ingenuity and a dash of brilliance (That I already know you posses) I really think that it would catch on. How many of us were stupid enough to upgrade and now are pretty much stuck with it, unless we wanna jump through a bunch of hoops to roll it back?  I willing to bet its more than just me. Oh and just a though. It should be named "3rdD00r".

Offline Andy

• A Mod. I think.
  • Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Whited00r 7
    • View Profile
    • Whited00r
  • My Computer: Mac
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 02:59:52 AM »
~Quote From Above~

Unfortunately, there are no plans of Whited00r supporting iOS5.1.1 as our goal is to revive first generation forgotten devices. In the mean time, you could restore to iOS5 stock (if you can rejailbreak), Or wipe the tweaks and apps by uninstalling MobileSubstrate
Any solution to wiping thing out without losing Jailbreak is using this tool by @coolstarorg. It's called Semi-Restore and pretty much all it does is that it'll wipe out everything in Cydia and your iPod except the core things that may break the device. (Basically like a Restore, but retaining the Jailbreak)
After that you can choose to install Archetype -- Custom firmware package for every iOS by Brian. It is the stablest thing you'll most likely find on the internet but do follow special installation instructions on post based on your iOS Version.
Oh yes. Hi.
I see you've noticed this Signature. Well, all I can tell you is that there's nothing to see here.
Yes, there is nothing interesting here. Just keep scrolling and we'll pretend nothing happened.

Offline bhoward1025

• www.whited00r.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 03:21:52 AM »
 I have just the slightest general Idea on what goes into programming a Firmware. However I am pro, unfortunately, at the installation and formatting of the Ipod touch 3g.
  Isnt this pretty much how they phased the previous generations out. So doesnt that put in the beginnings of the same category. In two years it will forgotten as well.

Merged Post #1 By Andy
 I really do appreciate the suggestion for http://semi-restore.com/. Maybe it will take away some of the headache. I just never can seem to  make this memory leak has to go away. Playing a game or using the wifi drains the battery in no time flat even with just the bare essentials. I tried a few things and they never seemed to work. Again thanks for the help Andy. Im about to put it to use.

Moderator Tip: If no one else has replied below your post, please use theModify located on the top right of your post to add more information to keep our forums clean and organized ;)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 06:11:37 AM by Andy »

Offline JustinCase

• An Agent of the System...
  • Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Here since WD 3.x
    • View Profile
    • Whited00rDev
  • Device: iPhone 2G
  • My Computer: Windows
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 03:39:19 AM »
I really do appreciate the suggestion for http://semi-restore.com/.

I've never heard of this web site. Can I safely assume that the website allows you to restore simply by visiting it?
I get on every now and then to check up
Go ahead and download Whited00r 8 BETA if you haven't yet: http://goo.gl/AFZIUT <------

Offline bhoward1025

• www.whited00r.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 03:50:54 AM »
Thats a negative you download a small .zip. The program runs on Windows and Mac. The site is alright but the download link was kinda fishy. Chrome marked it as Phishy but nothing horrible. Look the page over before you just start clicking. File came out clean in my virus scans. Almost done running. Let you know the results in a few.

Offline Andy

• A Mod. I think.
  • Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Whited00r 7
    • View Profile
    • Whited00r
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 06:06:34 AM »
I've never heard of this web site. Can I safely assume that the website allows you to restore simply by visiting it?

Don't worry. I've tried it and it works quite well. (Though I used it on iOS6.1.2, and not iOS5)
I know this guy on Twitter. I followed him and he's a really good developer.

It's not restoring via website. It's downloading the program, then using it.

(Think Brian knows him too.) And he's pretty well known on Twitter in the Jailbreak Circle.
You can follow him or see his twitter. (Link is in my post above)
If you still don't believe me, check iDownloadBlog's review on it. iDB is quite well known, so I think I can prove my point here.

Thats a negative you download a small .zip. The program runs on Windows and Mac. The site is alright but the download link was kinda fishy. Chrome marked it as Phishy but nothing horrible. Look the page over before you just start clicking. File came out clean in my virus scans. Almost done running. Let you know the results in a few.

Chrome thinks it's fishy because the main link is uploaded to mega.co.nz
Mega is pretty much the 2013 version of MegaUpload (that was shut down by FBI) So nothing to worry here.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 06:10:20 AM by Andy »
Oh yes. Hi.
I see you've noticed this Signature. Well, all I can tell you is that there's nothing to see here.
Yes, there is nothing interesting here. Just keep scrolling and we'll pretend nothing happened.

Offline xdragonforce

• Jony Ive in Training
  • Global Moderator
  • Design is Life
    • View Profile
    • Twisted Core Design
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 11:11:06 AM »
Those are great suggestions.

The second one is similar to my shell tool which I never got around to finishing :P (http://www.whited00r.com/forum/index.php/topic,6760.0.html)

Tethering would be a great thing to implement, but Isn't PDANet a paid app? I haven't looked at Cydia in a while so I wouldn't know, but I'm sure we could reccomend it.

The problem with paid external apps is that if we integrate them too closely with the firmware and the developer either

a) stops updating the app
or
b) withdraws permission for us to use it

We are left with a broken system. That's why we prefer to use in-house tweaks and applications, coded by our excellent dev team. (amirite brian?)

Offline PierreP

• WD FAQ Maker
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Everything is Relative
    • View Profile
Re: Including Paid Apps in Whited00r & PdaNet WiFi Internet Tethering
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 02:42:09 AM »
Thank you for taking the time to post your suggestions. 8)

A firmware flashing tool to make life easier for Whited00r users would be a great thing & volunteer programmers that could make that are more than welcome!

Internet Tethering - Sharing the Device's Internet Connection with an Other Device or Computer

...some good features that we should integrate into Whited00r/Redd00r, but they are paid tweaks that if we mass-distribute, I would feel like Whited00r/Redd00r pirate ships...

...-Tethering
   There is a program in Cydia that I am very familiar with and I am sure that many people would be happy with this program being integrated into the Settings app just like tethering is on the iPhone. The app that I am referring to is called PDANet. This app lets people tether and hide the tethering from their service provider. This also brings tethering to the iPod touch models of the iOS devices, so you could use your iPod like a USB antenna or a personal WI-FI network. This function could be integrated using a PrefenceLoader entry in the Settings app and you could just hide the icon from SpringBoard.

-Folder Enhancer
   Folder Enhancer... only works on iOS 4+...

Now, I want to discuss the legality of installing paid tweaks on devices.
What we should do is charge a small amount of money to people who want a D00r firmware that has paid tweaks on it that activates via UDID and the money should go to the developers who make the tweaks. I am not a fan of piracy, (and we can discuss App Time Machine at a different time >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(), and I want developers to get their fair share for their hard work that they put into their tweaks and apps...

...Tethering would be a great thing to implement, but Isn't PDANet a paid app?...

The problem with paid external apps is that if we integrate them too closely with the firmware and the developer either

a) stops updating the app
or
b) withdraws permission for us to use it

We are left with a broken system. That's why we prefer to use in-house tweaks and applications, coded by our excellent dev team. (amirite brian?)

I agree with the arguments above about why it is not a good idea to include paid apps in Whited00r.

And specifically about PDANet for tethering via WiFi: I tried it on iPhone 3G running Whited00r (free 14 days trial in Cydia > Modmyi Repo > PDANet). and I don't like it because:

1- It is a paid app selling for the insanely high price of $16 - PdaNet Buy currently. Cracked versions can be found on some pirate repos.

2- You need to install a PDANet client on the computer.

3- It consumes an insane amount of battery power so the device becomes hot very fast & you need to connect the device to a wall charger or to the computer if you want to use it for more than 1 hour. Using the device's WiFi to connect to a WiFi access point consumes a lot less power, even compared to 3G Data.

4- Unless you need to hide the tethering from your cellular provider, which is not necessary in my country because there is no such restrictions, the already included tethering feature in Whited00r via Bluetooth or USB works fine. The tethering via USB option has the added benefit of saving the battery life. But is does not hide the amount of data used from your carrier (which is impossible anyway) and does not hide the tethering.

For more tips about using the WD setup tool in Whited00r 6 to enable or disable features see: Whited00r 6 - FAQ & Troubleshooting - READ BEFORE POSTING!

"...This also brings tethering to the iPod touch models of the iOS devices, so you could use your iPod like a USB antenna or a personal WI-FI network..." - USB dongle wireless WiFi adapters for laptop or computer are very cheap on eBay. My neighbor is not rich & I wanted to share my internet connection and her laptop did not have a WiFi adapter so I bought this one with a 2 dbi antenna because her house is 15 meters away and has corrugated metal sheets walls and the cost was only $6 including shipping and it works fine. In the search link above, I saw an identical one for $4.66 shipped by a Top-rated seller. I got robbed!  ;)

If your computer has internet access it is very easy to turn your computer into a WiFi hotspot so you can do reverse tethering and share it with a Gen 1 or 2 iDevice as wired reverse tethering is not possible on those because of hardware limitations.

Folders

"...Folder Enhancer... only works on iOS 4+..." - There is already a folder feature in Whitedd0r that can be enabled or disabled via the WD setup tool. I prefer disabled like several other features because I like my device fast & fluid but it's there for users who like them.

App Time Machine & Piracy

"... I am not a fan of piracy, (and we can discuss App Time Machine at a different time >:( >:( >:( >:( >:() - No, we can discuss it now. :)  App Time Machine only host apps that are were removed from the iTunes App Store and does not contain any Cydia cracked apps.

Apple could have easily implemented an iOS filter (see [Tutorial] Whited00r 6 How-To Find iOS 3.1.3 iOS 4.1 & 4.2.1 Compatible Apps - iTunes Filter 3.x) and keep older apps versions compatible with Apple devices equipped with the ARMv6 CPU: iPhone 2G & 3G, iPod Touch 1G & 2G. like Facebook, Skype, eBay, etc but decided to drop support for them.

I think that iTunes does not have a simple iOS compatibility filter because they want owners of older devices to get frustrated by trying to find apps only to be told hundreds of times that those apps require iOS 4.3 or newer so to promote sales of newer devices. It's just a mean marketing technique IMO.  >:(

Those apps are not even for sale anymore in iTunes so the developers are not loosing a single penny & it is only fair game to save them & share them for the millions of users who don't want - or can't afford - the newer devices that Apple is pushing.

Also many apps in App Time Machine where free in the first place. There were just deleted from iTunes and replaced by newer versions requiring higher iOS & newer devices.

Offline iTechy21

• Bashing the shell
  • Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Well errr... Stuff :3
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
  • Device: iPod Touch 1G
Re: Ideas for Whited00r & Redd00r - Firmware Flashing Tool & Include Paid Apps?
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 11:42:10 AM »
Whited00r/ Redd00r Plus
So, I have been thinking for a while about some good features that we should integrate into Whited00r/Redd00r, but they are paid tweaks that if we mass-distribute, I would feel like Whited00r/Redd00r pirate ships. So, I thought of a way to give tweak developers their money, and still have a jam-packed firmware for the users of old devices.

A Specific Tool for the Job
   One of the biggest problems of Whited00r/Redd00r (Which will now be referred to as “D00r”), is that users cannot install it on their devices due to lack of technical proficiency. What I want to do with this problem is have a program that will download the correct firmware for the device and restore it without any technical hassle. The way to do this would to use the code that Redsn0w uses to restore devices, but to engineer it into a specific program that would guide users into a simple step-by-step process that would help the user:
1.   Backup their device so they can restore it later.
2.   Enter the device into PWNed DFU mode.
3.   Detect what device firmware it needs and download it.
4.   Grab SHSH blobs from device for restore.
5.   Restore device with D00r firmware.
6.   Restore D00r device from non-D00r backup.
The tool should also be able to flash/unflash iPad Baseband for devices, enter PWNed DFU,  and just jailbreak the devices
without installing the D00r firmware.
I am starting to work on a tool that does that but I only know python but its already started by downloading the firmware through the browser (I am working on a way for it to download through the program) and then the PWNED DFU.. (I would have to ask ih8sn0w) to help me with that and if I can get a few jailbreak devs working on it as a side project we would be sorted :)
Downloaderd00r tool by me :P
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 02:00:55 PM by itechy21 »
Follow me on twitter! | Subscribe to my YouTube Channel! | Follow my blog!
Please Read all the stickies if you're new. And follow the rules, please :)