Author Topic: Suggestions for Whited00r 8 - DISCUSSION THREAD  (Read 53342 times)

Offline MarioKartEpicness

• IPA God
  • SuperHero Member
  • MKE and Dog, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
  • Device: Does Not Own iDevice ARMv6
  • My Computer: Windows
Re: Suggestions for Whited00r 8 - DISCUSSION THREAD
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2014, 02:27:10 AM »

Nothing for iOS 3, there is for maybe iOS 5+ (iOS 6 it does support for sure) called "Velox".
Ok, I'll check it out, thanks. ;)
You see this dog? Yeah, she's my cute dog. (☞゚∀゚)☞

Offline mzs.112000

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPod Touch 2G
  • My Computer: Linux
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2014, 10:27:28 PM »
How about more open, community based development(Development would go faster, and more bugs could be fixed).

• IPA God
  • SuperHero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2014, 02:44:50 AM »
 Would a small panel in the settings app dedicated to crediting the devs be a good idea?

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • Device: iPhone 3G
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2014, 05:30:22 AM »
How about more open, community based development(Development would go faster, and more bugs could be fixed).

Open development and debugging is a very easy way to get overwhelmed.  By true open community development, as in actually viewing the source code, that isn't going to happen. We keep things closed source for the most part so it keeps people using whited00r, which means we still have people to develop tweaks for ;)  If we open source things, people start taking code away and using it elsewhere, often times not so well either because they didn't code it themselves and don't really understand exactly how everything works together.

More often than not, mixing people who code on a project, unless for a specific bit or with the intent to code for open source, gets very messy.  You would get people of varying levels of coding ability, some with more needing to not use as much as they know, so that the other people who don't know as much can keep up, thus hindering what we can actually do for the end user.  That, or we allow everyone to code at the level they know, and then we have a non-optimal tweak with mixed levels of coding skill in it, and tracking down a bug or even going through someone else's code to try and make the different bits work together gets messy. It is like having someone organize an entire house, or better yet, apartment complex and all the rooms, then having someone else go through it to try and find something. That, and then put something else away where it belongs or organize it to the way the rest of the apartment complex is organized. You may find it in the end, and be able to put something kind of where it goes, but in the end it doesn't really work as well as if you had just one person managing it all.   Yes, it may be quicker to have many people work on different bits and then make the edges compatible with each other so everything can slot together, but it won't have the same nice look as if everything was designed by one person from the very start.

Everyone has their own coding style. Almost like a signature really, you can write it yourself, and it works fine for everything, but try to force someone else to use it, or write part of it then you finish it, and it doesn't work. Sure, you could write it block letters and simply (even that everyone normally has their own slight twist on, unless they force themselves to make it uniform), but a signature feels more natural by far, and works best when you do it yourself :)

As it stands, we do have other developers and designers help out with already built objects, when it makes sense. They are very small places mind you, but it still helps the end result. It works, and no one has to worry about keeping the code simpler for people who are still learning.  We don't actually share source code between the team normally either, aside from snippets where it could help someone else along.  This is much easier because it is faster to actually ask someone for help with something, because they could have a little snippet of code that kind of works for what the other developer needs help with, but rather than make the other developer go through all the other code to try and figure out how that little bit works with the rest of the code, the original developer can just show them in a tiny example.

End rant-ish thing, for that at least. Brace for the next one... ;)

Unless you meant just open development as in having beta testing open to the public, and progress reports and features we have made and problems we are facing and such.
In that case, have explained that several times already as to why we don't do that ;)

We used to do that, let the public beta test things and have a general open forum for everything like that.  However, it very quickly became messy and a pain to even troubleshoot for the users that weren't on the beta.

Even though we post rules, people don't follow them.  We may state the beta is just that, a beta, but people don't care that it says that and just want the latest and greatest.  They then judge the firmware based on it, and don't seem to understand that beta means it has bugs, even if they are known bugs that we say we already know the cause of and are working on fixing.  They then complain to the forums, for the bugs we already established exist, and often don't search for similar threads either. Sometimes they skip the forums entirely, and think whited00r is just buggy and useless. They then also spread that around to their friends, or post it on the facebook page in the comments section and so on. That, and they don't actually specify the device they use or what whited00r version they are using.

They don't know what beta version they are using (even if it is easy to find out). They post asking for help, not saying the whited00r version, or, even worse, post in threads that have slightly similar issues (credit to them for searching though!), but don't let on that the device they are using is not actually set up like the original poster and is actually on a beta, which would have a whole different set of troubleshooting steps. 
In the end, it wastes time for both the user and the whited00r team trying to track down all these unorganized, repetitive, and messy forum posts. It really is rather depressing and disheartening to need to deal with all of that, and we should know, because we have tried it before for previous whited00r versions ;)
Yes, you get a couple people who actually can help out legitimately, but they are far outnumbered by people who can't or simply don't, and even if they do try and help, they get drowned out by the other posts :(

Open feature progress reports just get the forum filled up with asking why a certain feature doesn't do something specific, or doesn't behave in a certain way or look like something, or why we have not made another feature, far before we have even made anything final feature wise. It just get cluttered up really.  Much easier to leave everyone to speculation before announcing what we are doing when everything is done, than saying what we have done and then people asking us to add stuff, and being disappointing when we have not added something in, either because we didn't have time, or because it simply cannot work. On a free product mind you, for something no one else is doing, and you can't get features like anywhere else, and no one ever would make anything like it for such old devices. :(  They gloss over that, and are just upset at us.

As it stands, we have a closed beta testing group and development team. This is much cleaner for us to manage, as everyone in there knows what version they are on, knows how to do everything, and is there just to help out.  It is all confined to a specific forum just for the beta testing team, that no one aside from them can access. (We tried having a public board before for that, but people still posted outside of it and in other threads and so on as explained above)
Development goes on under the radar, and we don't have to deal with unorganized and messy forums either, or really any of the issues above :)

Sorry for the long rant type thing, just the way it is  :-\

Would a small panel in the settings app dedicated to crediting the devs be a good idea?

We actually did have one, but it was pulled at the last minute before release, I don't remember why though :(  Didn't just credit devs, but also other team members as well who help make whited00r, whited00r.

Offline FordRanchero289

• Small Engine Diagnostician, Technician, & Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • Jake A-Ron Duncan
  • Device: iPod Touch 2G
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2014, 04:04:03 PM »
A credits tab would be cool. I'd thank them all with a personal message each. Thank you Bruan for always monitoring and responding to the posts on yalls forums.
Apple iPod Touch 2nd Generation MC Model running Whited00r 7.1
Manufactured: January 1-2, 2010 (First Week of 2010)

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2014, 05:07:17 PM »
A credits tab would be cool. I'd thank them all with a personal message each. Thank you Bruan for always monitoring and responding to the posts on yalls forums.

We shall see what we can do for future versions with a credits tab :)  (and thank you! :) )

Offline Cr1s714n1999

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2014, 07:02:20 PM »
My suggestions are :
1) Fix the white text on a white background (I think is possible but i'm not sure)
2) Notification center (we can't use lockinfo because there are some problems with WD7)
3) Calendar icon more similar to ios 7 calendar icon
4) Remove from the AppTimeMachine the apps which don't work (example Gravity guy in the Game section)
5) Fix Whatsapp bug (if you open it you automatically you lose all your contacts :()
6) Power off slider more similiar to ios 7.1
7) Favorites and recent contacts in the multitasking switcher like in ios 8 (it would be really cool :P)
8 ) "Delete" the old animation of camera. When you open it in WD 7.1+ there is the ios 6 animation (in ios 7 and 8 there isn't that kind of animation but a simple blur effect)
9) Weather app more similar to ios 7
10) Resolve the bug of the maps app (if you click on localization button it crash)
11) Try to make a better round switches (little more bigger)
12) Modify youtube app because it's pretty buggy and ugly
13) Fix calculator bug ( if you rotate the idevice and click on C the AC button is bad)
14) Photo and video in the same app (Camera... :-X)
15) Safari options in the settings (in WD7.1+ is not possible disable javascript in safari)
16) Status bar more similar to ios 7
17)White keyboard (i know is difficult try to modify the keyboard on ios 3.1.3)
18) An Overclock button for more performance during the game
19) Pull to refresh in mail app :)
Finshed. I'm sorry if I wrong something somewhere but i'm italian and I tried to do my better in this post. Go Whited00r  ;) (and go developers  :D)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 07:07:28 PM by Cr1s714n1999 »

Offline iPH0NE_3GS

• SuperHero Member
  • 3GS BABY !
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 2G
  • My Computer: Mac
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2014, 10:10:12 PM »
/\ for the camera animation when opening ( for iPhone 4 ) it's just a black screen until the camera opens I think that's what Whited00r should do it will make the camera less Laggy and look more like ios 7
Check out My "iOS 11 Theme For WD 7.1 " to make your WD 7.1 device look and Feel like iOS 11 !!

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2014, 02:59:22 AM »
My suggestions are :
1) Fix the white text on a white background (I think is possible but i'm not sure)
2) Notification center (we can't use lockinfo because there are some problems with WD7)
3) Calendar icon more similar to ios 7 calendar icon
4) Remove from the AppTimeMachine the apps which don't work (example Gravity guy in the Game section)
5) Fix Whatsapp bug (if you open it you automatically you lose all your contacts :()
6) Power off slider more similiar to ios 7.1
7) Favorites and recent contacts in the multitasking switcher like in ios 8 (it would be really cool :P)
8 ) "Delete" the old animation of camera. When you open it in WD 7.1+ there is the ios 6 animation (in ios 7 and 8 there isn't that kind of animation but a simple blur effect)
9) Weather app more similar to ios 7
10) Resolve the bug of the maps app (if you click on localization button it crash)
11) Try to make a better round switches (little more bigger)
12) Modify youtube app because it's pretty buggy and ugly
13) Fix calculator bug ( if you rotate the idevice and click on C the AC button is bad)
14) Photo and video in the same app (Camera... :-X)
15) Safari options in the settings (in WD7.1+ is not possible disable javascript in safari)
16) Status bar more similar to ios 7
17)White keyboard (i know is difficult try to modify the keyboard on ios 3.1.3)
18) An Overclock button for more performance during the game
19) Pull to refresh in mail app :)
Finshed. I'm sorry if I wrong something somewhere but i'm italian and I tried to do my better in this post. Go Whited00r  ;) (and go developers  :D)

Welcome to the forums :)

1.  We are trying, but there are some places we simply cannot. These include root apps, like iFile and Cydia, and then apps that customize certain UI elements to modify it themselves for a different look, or else don't follow the generic system methods for creating nav bars and such.
2. We have all the elements for this, just not put together. It is still being debated about if we will make it a paid tweak or not (you do get all of whited00r for free ;) )
4. You can report apps that don't work to them, although it could be the install method or the UI tweak that causes the crash. (Test in safemode, and installed from iTunes to rule those out)
5. I think installing the latest patch fixes this, it is a contacts permissions issue from what I know. (I can't personally test as I don't have whatsapp)
6. Would be nice, but we do have a lot on the list of things to do ;)
8. That would be rather easy, I think. It may not though because of how complex the iris is...
10. That's a bug with the UI tweak we are working on fixing :) (location services are broken on 3.1.3 anyway aside from the iPhone 3G because of the GPS module)
11. The round switches are the best we could manage for the moment, there really isn't anything to mess with on them that isn't affected further down the line graphically by the system.
12. Nothing much can be done for that, it is pretty much all there will be.
15. This is a minor bug with just a small bit of the .plist missing for the settings app. No worries on that being fixed :)
16. Because of how 3.1.3 handles the status bar, we can't really make it more like iOS 7 :(
18. There is no way to overclock iOS devices. You could just enter safemode if you want more speed ;)

Offline 3DayTheory

• Whited00r iPod iPhone User
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPod Touch 1G
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2014, 03:17:46 AM »
the only suggestion i have is to make the music app look like ios 7/8's

Offline SimulaYOOO

• If you want faster iPhone buy a new
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2014, 12:33:45 PM »
1.Edit alarm UI is horrible {if you don't understand i will paste picture}
2.Add option on atm to refresh page and make less laggy/buggy...
3.Make music app more like ios 7 because this white is broke/tease the eye
4.Make camera,video switcher like ios7?
5.Make video recorder less laggy{if you can  :)}
6.Make battery more stronger {in whited00r 5 was really good,you can team :B}
7.Make power off like to ios 7 {if you can}
8.Edit the UI indicator sound when volume up and down
9.Edit safemod {i was found one;when you apply config in whited00r setting and you have password enabled and cancel the phone go to safe mod}
10.Make icons more like ios 7 {if you can}
11.Make ios 8 notification {if you can}
12.Edit the battery indicator because is black when charging
13.Centre the battery when charg in lock screen
14.Edit the phone bg color because when you safe the number and name the name is goes down very {i will post picture if you don't understand}
15.Edit the ipod more because is not points out as
16.Edit iTunes app.When you play music after X second restart {if you can}
17.Edit calculator because is very uglu
18.Edit calendar icon {if you can}
19.Edit weather {if you can}
20.Fix the picture bug.When you apply picture in photos app at homescreen picture are blur but when you apply at setting is normal{I mean when you apply a picture to homescreen}
21.Make Sara less laggy{i don't use it but if you can  :D}
22.Add App store icon and App time machine icon
23.If you can increase sound because is low for me.HUH  ???
24.Make passcod UI more like ios 7.The 3g has 320 x 480 pixels, 3.5 inches
you can make smaller than the screen if you can of course
25.Make replica of notification centre {if you can,hmmm maybe not but we shall see}
26.Make answer or dismiss when you call to more like ios 7{if you can}
27.And last yes i now is bug but will you try to fix the UI in default app like messages,alarm,deleting application and etc.
Have a nice day and nice work in whited00r 8  ;)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 06:31:11 AM by SimulaYOOO »
Stay Hungry,Stay Foolish. - Steve Jobs

Offline Cr1s714n1999

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2014, 06:32:11 PM »
Welcome to the forums :)

1.  We are trying, but there are some places we simply cannot. These include root apps, like iFile and Cydia, and then apps that customize certain UI elements to modify it themselves for a different look, or else don't follow the generic system methods for creating nav bars and such.
2. We have all the elements for this, just not put together. It is still being debated about if we will make it a paid tweak or not (you do get all of whited00r for free ;) )
4. You can report apps that don't work to them, although it could be the install method or the UI tweak that causes the crash. (Test in safemode, and installed from iTunes to rule those out)
5. I think installing the latest patch fixes this, it is a contacts permissions issue from what I know. (I can't personally test as I don't have whatsapp)
6. Would be nice, but we do have a lot on the list of things to do ;)
8. That would be rather easy, I think. It may not though because of how complex the iris is...
10. That's a bug with the UI tweak we are working on fixing :) (location services are broken on 3.1.3 anyway aside from the iPhone 3G because of the GPS module)
11. The round switches are the best we could manage for the moment, there really isn't anything to mess with on them that isn't affected further down the line graphically by the system.
12. Nothing much can be done for that, it is pretty much all there will be.
15. This is a minor bug with just a small bit of the .plist missing for the settings app. No worries on that being fixed :)
16. Because of how 3.1.3 handles the status bar, we can't really make it more like iOS 7 :(
18. There is no way to overclock iOS devices. You could just enter safemode if you want more speed ;)
Thank you for the answer Bruan.I think your team will do its better to fix all bug or error in the next Whited00r version.P.s Really there is no way to overclock ios devices? here there is something --> http://www.whited00r.com/forum/index?topic=6648.0

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2014, 06:56:58 PM »
Later down that thread, they say it is just a placebo. It doesn't actually do anything :(

• IPA God
  • SuperHero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2014, 09:50:55 PM »
My goodness, that list is long. :o

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2014, 06:24:30 AM »
My goodness, that list is long. :o

Especially on a thread that was about not putting suggestions up just for feature requests ;)  ;D