Author Topic: Changing the system font and minor stuff  (Read 1932 times)

Offline jackoverfull

• To the future, blinkin' an eye to the past.
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 3G
  • My Computer: Mac
Changing the system font and minor stuff
« on: November 10, 2015, 04:06:46 PM »
After many years of using with my iPhone 3g with iPhoneOS3 and a few Cydia tweaks (most notably Activator, as I have a broken power button, and SMSHelper) I've discovered Whited00r and installed it without any bproblem. So far so good, system seems quite responsive (perhaps a bit more than with stock) and I know i'll enjoy a lot the control center.

Really great work, from what I see. :)

There a re few things i'd like to change, though, perhaps someone will be able to point me to the best solutions…

-First and foremost, the new iOS7 font looks less readable to my eyes, the old one was simple perfect. A quick way to go back to it (or a least: what is the path of the new and old fonts, I guess a manual replace would work fine too)?

-Second, I no longer hear the unlock sound, any way to bring it back?

-Third, I'm not much of a fan of the new volume windows that has no transparency (honestly, I've always found them ugly, both on iOS7+ and on the new OSX), there is a way to bring the old one back or to make those translucent?

-Fourth, how do I put Cycorder directly on the springboard? Doesn't make much senso to wait for the camera app to load and then switch to it and wait again…

-Fifth, this is what I get when I open up the music controls (which I've mapped to a long volume down press with activator), any fix? An obvious one would be to remap the Control Center to long volume down press with Activator, how do I do that?

Thanks and keep up with the good work!

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
  • My Computer: Linux
Re: Changing the system font and minor stuff
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 10:00:20 PM »
-First and foremost, the new iOS7 font looks less readable to my eyes, the old one was simple perfect. A quick way to go back to it (or a least: what is the path of the new and old fonts, I guess a manual replace would work fine too)?

It should be in /System/Library/Fonts. I couldn't tell you what the font names are that were modified though. I can warn you that any fonts that are put back into there have to be compatible with 3.1.3. Normal PC fonts typically aren't compatible and will end up bricking your device so it doesn't boot completely. You also have to make sure you have the proper permissions and ownerships on any new fonts you copy over to replace the current ones.
You do not want to replace all the fonts in there though.  Only a couple were changed from the stock ones.

(you can still restore old fonts via iFunBox or similar if you do end up bricking the device, if you backed them up first, or you will have to restore)

-Second, I no longer hear the unlock sound, any way to bring it back?

No, sorry. Not until the lock screen tweak is redone/updated and there isn't a timeline on that :(

-Third, I'm not much of a fan of the new volume windows that has no transparency (honestly, I've always found them ugly, both on iOS7+ and on the new OSX), there is a way to bring the old one back or to make those translucent?

Yes, but it requires a lot of hassle in unpacking the other.artwork file and then finding and modifying the images to the original ones, and then repacking it.
If you want to unpack it there are tutorials on the forum on how to do that.
I think the links in the tutorial still work. The actual program should work too seeing 3.1.3 hasn't changed ;)
How to edit the iOS 3.x .artwork files

-Fourth, how do I put Cycorder directly on the springboard? Doesn't make much senso to wait for the camera app to load and then switch to it and wait again…

Using iFile or some other editor for the device, open up /Applications/Cycorder.app/Info.plist and look for something that looks like
Code: [Select]
<key>SBAppTags</key>
<array>
   <string>hidden</string>
</array>

I'm not sure what else is in that section, so only remove the
<string>hidden</string>
portion of it and save it.
Make sure you do not remove any extra characters otherwise you will break the syntax in the file and you won't be able to launch the app at all!

you may have to reboot, or run
uicache
in terminal (not as root), and then reboot for it to show up.

-Fifth, this is what I get when I open up the music controls (which I've mapped to a long volume down press with activator), any fix? An obvious one would be to remap the Control Center to long volume down press with Activator, how do I do that?

Thanks and keep up with the good work!

Ooo... that doesn't look so clean.  We didn't even edit that old music control section because you can change tracks and volume via control center now (or via the old app switcher option).
Control Center doesn't work with activator, so you are stuck sliding it up from the bottom of the screen for now sadly :(

Offline jackoverfull

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 04:01:54 PM »
It should be in /System/Library/Fonts. I couldn't tell you what the font names are that were modified though. I can warn you that any fonts that are put back into there have to be compatible with 3.1.3. Normal PC fonts typically aren't compatible and will end up bricking your device so it doesn't boot completely. You also have to make sure you have the proper permissions and ownerships on any new fonts you copy over to replace the current ones.
You do not want to replace all the fonts in there though.  Only a couple were changed from the stock ones.
(you can still restore old fonts via iFunBox or similar if you do end up bricking the device, if you backed them up first, or you will have to restore)

Thanks. :)
I'm kinda getting used to it, actually, so won't do it for now.
Yes, but it requires a lot of hassle in unpacking the other.artwork file and then finding and modifying the images to the original ones, and then repacking it.
If you want to unpack it there are tutorials on the forum on how to do that.
I guess this applies to the video UI as well? Can't say I like much the new one…

I think the links in the tutorial still work. The actual program should work too seeing 3.1.3 hasn't changed ;)
How to edit the iOS 3.x .artwork files
Oh well, I'll survive, can't spend that much time on that.
Using iFile or some other editor for the device, open up /Applications/Cycorder.app/Info.plist and look for something that looks like
<key>SBAppTags</key>
<array>
   <string>hidden</string>
</array>

I'm not sure what else is in that section, so only remove the
<string>hidden</string>
portion of it and save it.
Make sure you do not remove any extra characters otherwise you will break the syntax in the file and you won't be able to launch the app at all!

you may have to reboot, or run
uicache
in terminal (not as root), and then reboot for it to show up.
Done it, thanks.

Ooo... that doesn't look so clean.  We didn't even edit that old music control section because you can change tracks and volume via control center now (or via the old app switcher option).
Control Center doesn't work with activator, so you are stuck sliding it up from the bottom of the screen for now sadly :(

:(

A couple of things I've noticed today…

First, the button to make maps show you your location is no longer there, if I tap to were it used to be (bottom-left corner) the applications crashes. Location dot works perfectly, but I have to ind other ways to enable it (such as asking "current location" in directions).

Secondly, today I was following some directions on maps, I switched to the phone app with a double click on the home button to show the app switcher and the screen became black. I could not lock the device (remember: mi lock button is KO and I use activator) nor go back to springboard, I could however switch app using the shortcuts on notification center. I think it's the second time something like this happens…
I don't have backgrounder enabled at this moment.

By the way: how can I change the shortcuts in notification center? I have little use for the calculator being there, but could be a good idea to have a terminal instead…
Also, is it normal that the do not disturb option just answers "sorry, this feature is not available"?

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 10:16:30 PM »
A couple of things I've noticed today…

First, the button to make maps show you your location is no longer there, if I tap to were it used to be (bottom-left corner) the applications crashes. Location dot works perfectly, but I have to ind other ways to enable it (such as asking "current location" in directions).

Yeah, that's a known bug. Eventually a manual check for the UI should be put in to fix that but I don't know when that is. :(

Secondly, today I was following some directions on maps, I switched to the phone app with a double click on the home button to show the app switcher and the screen became black. I could not lock the device (remember: mi lock button is KO and I use activator) nor go back to springboard, I could however switch app using the shortcuts on notification center. I think it's the second time something like this happens…
I don't have backgrounder enabled at this moment.

Which app switcher do you have enabled? The iOS 7 style one is super buggy :(

By the way: how can I change the shortcuts in notification center? I have little use for the calculator being there, but could be a good idea to have a terminal instead…
Also, is it normal that the do not disturb option just answers "sorry, this feature is not available"?

You can't do that, we just made it like the iOS 7 one to begin with. Eventually we hope to port the one we are working on for grayd00r back to whited00r, which should allow much more customization. That has to wait until grayd00r is done though and that's been a long time in the works.

No do not disturb. That was meant to hook into a new tweak at some point in time but it hasn't been made.

Offline jackoverfull

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 10:33:41 PM »
I use the ios6 style app switcher. ;)

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 06:26:15 AM »
I use the ios6 style app switcher. ;)

Fast app switcher or the older "manual multitasking" one?  (Can't remember exactly what the labels are. The older one lets you remove apps from it and is generally more stable)

Offline jackoverfull

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 01:20:49 PM »
Correct.

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 07:41:06 AM »

Offline jackoverfull

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 01:55:21 PM »
Manual multitasking.

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 06:49:33 AM »
Manual multitasking.

I'm not entirely sure then :(  Do you have any other tweaks installed on the device? (outside of activator/preference loader)

Offline jackoverfull

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 08:53:03 AM »
Nothing else.

Offline Bruan

• Feature Developer
  • Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
  • Methuselah
    • View Profile
    • Bruan_WD Twitter
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 05:11:24 AM »
Nothing else.

In that case I really have no clue. I'd set an activator action to either lock, respring, or simulate a home button press just as a backup in case this happens again.